Windows Phone did not get pebble support due to Pebble's CEO personal feelings about Microsoft

Rafy

Many have been asking why didn't Windows Phone get Pebble support, turns out Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky dislikes both Microsoft and their OS. That's not the worst part though.

What's worse is that while MS was in talks with Pebble they were tasked to develop a proof of concept app. In a few months time they delivered a fully functional, ready to be published Pebble app, surprising and exceeding everyone's expectations at Pebble (well, except Migicovsky's). The plan was to unveil the app at the Build 2014 conference and release it sometime later that year, only Eric Migicovsky stepped in and shut the whole thing down.

Here are some quotes from the article:

The plan was for Microsoft to build a demonstration app to prove to Pebble that their smartwatch would sync in all the right ways with Windows Phone. Pebble, like many companies, would prefer a consistent user experience for their products across devices. Requesting Microsoft verify that their OS can handle Pebble is a common and reasonable request before a partnership is signed.

Just a few months later in spring 2014, Microsoft did not deliver a barebones app that could sync as requested. Instead, we are told they designed an entire Pebble app themselves with nearly complete functionality. The only thing that was missing was the recently announced Pebble Store, but seeing as Microsoft could not have access to many of its components, it was an easy thing to overlook.

We hear that Microsoft made quite the impression by delivering a well-polished, entirely functional app so quickly. The only thing that remained between the two companies were the details of the partnership.

This was the plan, and we are told an official announcement for a Windows Phone Pebble app was being pushed for Build 2014 with the app due sometime later that year.

Cortana integration was even being looked at as a break though technology for Pebble and a way for Microsoft to get a foot in the door on iOS and Android.

And then the issues began:

Pebble would continue to work with Apple and its Android partners, but Microsoft and their Windows Phone would be more favored. To see a similar strategy in action, look no further than Microsoft fitness darling Fitbit. AT&T is continuing their promotion of bundling the Lumia 830 with a free Fitbit flex and Fitbit products are cross-promoted and sold in all Microsoft Stores.

To my mind, this all sounds like a brilliant plan. Pebble gets a resilient partner; Microsoft works with a spritely, "disruptive" tech company. Long term, Microsoft would even be in an ideal position to acquire Pebble, should the private company want to go down that path.

There is just one problem: Pebble founder and CEO Eric Migicovsky.

Despite Microsoft's attempts to win over Pebble, Migicovsky is reportedly not a fan of the company nor their mobile operating system. The young entrepreneur reportedly nixed any partnership.

Here is the interesting part:

Keep in mind, the plan I am told was for Microsoft to develop the app, including eating all costs associated within, and even to help Pebble keep Windows Phone app parity long-term with continued support. In exchange, Pebble owns the app. These kinds of deals are very familiar with Microsoft as the company knows it has to be aggressive when winning over clients.

Here are some screens of the functional Pebble proof of concept app:

pebble-demo-app.png

Source: http://www.windowscentral.com/pebble-microsoft-and-what-could-have-been-windows-phone

Wow!!! This is google with the youtube app all over again -_-

Some companies are just assholes! Why make a company put time and effort into something just to shut it down anyway?! It's clear that was there intention the whole time! 

First Google and now Pebble being dicks to MS platform users?

Pebble is going to be a cockroach splatter on the road of life by willingly barring entry to platforms who have users. Newsflash: the only smart watch that has the marketing and brand power to make people switch platforms would be Apples. Not yours.

Stop acting like you run the jungle and don't be dicks towards companies who are so willing to pour resources into supporting your product.

Ms going to that length just to make a app to prove to you that they are entirely committed to your product and you tell them to fuck off? There are a lot of companies you can afford to piss off. Microsoft isn't one of them.

why almost everyone is hating MS platform users so much? I dont get it.. First google, now this Pebble. The irrational animosity and disinterest shown by some of the companies/corporations out there towards MS products (especially WP) are quite unbelievable. Not that I needed or missed using any of Google's services or have any desire for a Pebble product (imo Microsoft band is a much better 'smartwatch' than any pebble,and it works cross platforms too..)

Ms going to that length just to make a app to prove to you that they are entirely committed to your product and you tell them to fuck off? There are a lot of companies you can afford to piss off. Microsoft isn't one of them.

I don't think anything good will come out of telling MS to piss off, but I don't really see anything bad coming out of it either. Windows Phone is so small the number of Peggle-wanting users who won't get one because of this is probably insignificant (just look at their ridiculously successful Kickstarter campaign).

Anyway, dick move by Pebble. If most/all of the work was already done why not just allow it? Pebble only gains things (bigger userbase) from letting Microsoft release the app. You can hold a grudge against someone or something all you want (and there are a billion reasons to dislike MS), but that shouldn't get in the way of what's objectively the best for both the consumers and the companies involved.

this sounds like silicon valley hipstery (lol) at its finest 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The MS hate really is super strong. I mean honestly what have they done to desrve this much crap. esp witht eh strides they have taken in recent times

This certainly wasn't the smartest of moves. One of the biggest things Pebble has going for it going forward is that it is multi platform compatible, being compatible with another platform could only help them.

lol someone get that ceo a tampon pls

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Dick move pebble, dick move. I'm a windows phone user and I would have loved something like this earlier in the year, but I certainly won't be buying a pebble smartwatch at any point now if I can't trust the company to support an OS just because of a personal bias by the owner.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I don't think anything good will come out of telling MS to piss off, but I don't really see anything bad coming out of it either. Windows Phone is so small the number of Peggle-wanting users who won't get one because of this is probably insignificant (just look at their ridiculously successful Kickstarter campaign).

Anyway, dick move by Pebble. If most/all of the work was already done why not just allow it? Pebble only gains things (bigger userbase) from letting Microsoft release the app. You can hold a grudge against someone or something all you want (and there are a billion reasons to dislike MS), but that shouldn't get in the way of what's objectively the best for both the consumers and the companies involved.

It might be insignificant now, but what if WP actually takes off in corporate circles? (not saying it will but that's where MS is pushing it).  Also when that almighty 2.9% upgrade are they going to consider pebble?  Not really if they already have it in their mind that pebble aren't that versatile.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

why almost everyone is hating MS platform users so much? I dont get it.. First google, now this Pebble. The irrational animosity and disinterest shown by some of the companies/corporations out there towards MS products (especially WP) are quite unbelievable. Not that I needed or missed using any of Google's services or have any desire for a Pebble product (imo Microsoft band is a much better 'smartwatch' than any pebble,and it works cross platforms too..)

All this animosity towards MS is a long running "tradition" in the software industry, since the '90s, when MS itself was playing the big bad corporate thug (MS was almost legally forced to be split in two companies in 1998).

What happens now is just bad karma hitting back again and again.

Nothing pisses me off more than when the CEO of a public company mixes his company's business with his personal views.

The company is a PUBLIC company, not a proprietary company like, for example, IKEA where the company is OWNED by the administrators personally. 

You do not own this company, Eric. You just run it. So leave your crappy personal opinions out of it pls.

God I hate arbitrary nonsense like this.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

What an incompetent manchild, good to have this out in the open and this guy's petty sabotage exposed.

I dislike Microsoft myself, that doesn't mean I'll let that have any effect on my decisions at my job.

This guy is no better than those Barilla execs who said "Gays can eat someone else's pasta"

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

well never buying a pebble nor will I suggest it to friends anymore.

Then you are no better than Pebble's CEO...

It's because of childish rules like "never buying from X again" we end up in these situations.

Oh well, I read through the article before but didn't get into the CEO details apparently. Wow... I guess I can say goodbye to Pebble now...  not because their product is not awesome but I can now basically ditch all kind of hope the proper support coming to Windows Phone now...

what Microsoft should do is to produce more Band....

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Oh well, I read through the article before but didn't get into the CEO details apparently. Wow... I guess I can say goodbye to Pebble now...  not because their product is not awesome but I can now basically ditch all kind of hope the proper support coming to Windows Phone now...

what Microsoft should do is to produce more Band....

The reason they have Band and are pushing fitbit so hard is because the deal with Pebble went south.

Wts, should save up and quickly go pick up a G watch R then from LG

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

No big deal I'm ditching my Windows Phone as soon as I can cause the platform isn't established well enough (plus it's not that great).

To me that's pretty stupid. Windows phone does fairly well over seas so they're just refusing to make more money. Luckily I use an Android phone so it all works out.