Australian man fined for illegal drone flight because he uploads flight clip to YouTube

ahhming

An Australian man has been issued a drone infringement fine from CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority)because he uploaded onboard video of the drone to YouTube. He was fined $850.

The owner – who does not wish to be named, received a phone call from a CASA investigator notifying him of multiple breaches. Each of which could have resulted in an $850 fine. In the end his single $850 fine was a lucky break with the CASA investigator stating, “while each individual breach was not major in itself, the number of breaches has caused me concern”.

VVV lol.

So does CASA have staff watching online videos to find offenders? Peter Gibson, spokesperson for CASA told EFTM, “I’m not going to pretend we sit there every day trawling through YouTube because that would be ridiculous. However, where we see things, or where people bring things to our attention then we will investigate”.

The fines can range anywhere from $850 for breaches of the basic guidelines, right through to $8,000 for “reckless operation”, with Mr Gibson pointing out “if you injure someone, CASA can also seek prosecution.

Infringement-Notice1-e1421921599249-768x

CASA regulations state that hobbyists who fly for no commercial gain cannot fly their drones:

• Within 3 nautical miles of an airport;
  • Above 400 feet in controlled airspace (large towns and cities);
  • Over populous areas;
  • Within 30 meters of people. (not even the operator? Not sure)
  • At night.
The guy who got fined sold his drone on gumtree after the incident happen.

For those australian, do not upload clips of your drone flying or you might get fined :D .

Source:

http://eftm.com.au/2015/01/850-drone-fine-casa-using-youtube-to-identify-illegal-drone-use-19067

This is kind of ridiculous, if you ask me. :huh:

I fly my TARDIS over that same area frequently and I've had no fines issued. :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Omg assholes apls. The man is just having fun. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Damn straight! ;)

Damn straight! ;)

U fill my inbox with all your status updates. but <3 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

U fill my inbox with all your status updates. but <3

Well, if I didn't it'd be empty. Gotta utilise that space somehow. :P LOL

Well, if I didn't it'd be empty. Gotta utilise that space somehow. :P LOL

You're right xD. It would be empty anyway. 

If he flew the drone near an airport or in an area where failure would put people in danger of being hit with falling debris then he was the arsehole.  Having fun is flying them in parks and open areas where failure won't result in injury.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If he flew the drone near an airport or in an area where failure would put people in danger of being hit with falling debris then he was the arsehole.  Having fun is flying them in parks and open areas where failure won't result in injury.

^This^

A drone flying into a commercial aircraft would be worse than a bird strike

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Our government acts like a nanny, and thinks that we can't look after ourselves in anyway. Which is why we get loads of stupid laws. (I know however that it can be worse in other countries)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You're right xD. It would be empty anyway.

So, just think of it like I'm doing you a favour. :D LOL

If he flew indeed. 

IN THE CITY OF TOWNSVILLE

A PLEASANT PLACE TO LIVE

UNLESS YOU LIKE FLYING DRONES!

i hope at least 1 person gets the joke ;_:

Somewhat related: my grandma drove about 3k over the speed limit, they placed the speed camera on a steep hill so when you go down, your car would go faster thus setting it off.

She got over 8 fines, all in a "Rundle Mall" envelope...a mall over an hour away from us and that she has never been to in her life. she just threw them out thinking they were vouchers, only to be pulled over a few months down and arrested because they suspended her license. We did appeal and she was at least allowed to drive again, she still had to pay the fine.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

So, just think of it like I'm doing you a favour. :D LOL

Haha kden my inbox is full enough atm. Around 50 messages quotes likes and status updates. 

Just another reason why i "love" living here.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Haha okay then. My inbox is full enough atm. Around 50 messages, quotes, likes and status updates.

Well, I can back off with the SUs if you like?

IN THE CITY OF TOWNSVILLE

A PLEASANT PLACE TO LIVE

UNLESS YOU LIKE FLYING DRONES!

i hope at least 1 person gets the joke ;_:

*commence cricket sounds*

Plot twist it was actually tony abbotts "boarder" drones test flying that picked it up lol

Could someone actually explain that to me? Does Aus really have that bad of a boarder problem to enlist US boarder drones?

I was pretty sure Auss was on it's own continent that it shared with, you know, itself?

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Well, I can back off with the SUs if you like?

nah xD i am not reading them anyway. but u can post what u like. What is reasonable is ofc.

Oh smart people of the internet tell me how this democracy is freedom more tell me.

nah xD i am not reading them anyway. but u can post what u like. What is reasonable is ofc.

I'll just anounced to every one of my friends, via a status update, that I'm ceasing my status updates because jurian123 is receiving too many notifications.

Then let's see what happens with that LOL. I think you'll get spammed by all of them. :P JK

Not going to lie.. I read the thread title as "illegal drone fight" and got super excited

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'll just anounced to every one of my friends, via a status update, that I'm ceasing my status updates because jurian123 is receiving too many notifications.

Then let's see what happens with that LOL. I think you'll get spammed by all of them. :P JK

haha kay. U can do what ever you want mate.