NVIDIA Responds to GTX 970 3.5GB Memory Issue

TheBoneyKing

Considering the prices of 290's, that just might be a better deal.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Repost? (Original thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296580-gtx-970-apparently-cant-use-4-gigs-of-vram/)

This was even covered in the WAN show...

this is an updated statement by nvidia, different topic

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Called it :D

the 970 has less stream processors right? it could be an issue with the way memory is accessed under certain situations. eg only abble to allocate a certain amount per stream processor when some condition x is in effect. ifs thats true then that sucks

well not exactly but close enough ha ha.

I would have to wait for both Linus and Logan to comment their opinions on this, as they are the 2 opinions in youtube tech reviews that I trust most.

As an Asus Strix 970 owner, I'm not sure what to think. I would be exstatic if I could return this "defective" GPU for a free 980 upgrade >.>

<.<

nvidia thats fucking cheating,we need a fucking recall .....or atleast a cashback/rebate or something like intel had to pay for false advertisement and benchmarks 

Agreed. I demand a free 980!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Gigabyte released a bios update for all its GTX970s... ill try and test this myself to see if this fixes the vram issue

here's the geforce post https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806255/geforce-900-series/psa-gigabyte-has-just-released-new-bios-update-for-all-gtx-970s/

for the update go to gigabyte.com > go to your card > downloads > bios (guessing, gigabytes site is being slow.. probably from people trying to get the update)

@TheBoneyKing

please add this to the OP. Gigabyte's newest bios seem to have fixed the issue or at least help it according to this guy~ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806255/geforce-900-series/psa-gigabyte-has-just-released-new-bios-update-for-all-gtx-970s/post/4432322/#4432322

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This is total crap. I may not actually need that .5GB Right now but with the price of 4K going down, I might in the future. Can I get a refund for both of mine and get a single 980?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

I would have to wait for both Linus and Logan to comment their opinions on this, as they are the 2 opinions in youtube tech reviews that I trust most.

As an Asus Strix 970 owner, I'm not sure what to think. I would be exstatic if I could return this "defective" GPU for a free 980 upgrade >.>

<.<

Agreed. I demand a free 980!

I second this.

@LinusTech and @Slick what do you think about the OP? Perhaps a video coming soon?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

PCPER has a pretty deep relationship with NV (also AMD and Intel for that matter); Ryan Shrout would not have released this if NV was going to turn around and claim "we never said that".

Also, the small change in average FPS shown in the internal testing is misleading. The frame time variations appear to be what are suffering as the mem bandwidth slows (according to 970 owners/testers on other forums), we need to see those FCAT charts to determine what is really happening as the frame buffer fills IMO.

That's also the same guy who called everyone who criticized Assassin's Creed: Unity a bunch of "fucking idiots that don't know what Ubisoft's code looks like".

Yeah I'll wait until someone else confirms this about the 970.

I second this.

@LinusTech what do you think about the OP? Perhaps a video coming soon?

Don't forget @Slick

I'd also like to say, to Asus.....can I get a Strix that has some LED action on it? This single white power indicator LED just doesn't do it for me. At least make the Strix logo light up

Gigabyte released a bios update for all its GTX970s... ill try and test this myself to see if this fixes the vram issue

here's the geforce post https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806255/geforce-900-series/psa-gigabyte-has-just-released-new-bios-update-for-all-gtx-970s/

for the update go to gigabyte.com > go to your card > downloads > bios (guessing, gigabytes site is being slow.. probably from people trying to get the update)

@TheBoneyKing

please add this to the OP. Gigabyte's newest bios seem to have fixed the issue or at least help it according to this guy~ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806255/geforce-900-series/psa-gigabyte-has-just-released-new-bios-update-for-all-gtx-970s/post/4432322/#4432322

The BIOS isn't for a G1, and it could result in screwing up your card, I wouldn't recommend flashing it.

Go into GPU-Z and read the name of the BIOS, if the number of the BIOS they released doesn't match your card exactly, don't use it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The BIOS isn't for a G1, and it could result in screwing up your card, I wouldn't recommend flashing it.

Go into GPU-Z and read the name of the BIOS, if the number of the BIOS they released doesn't match your card exactly, don't use it.

I haven't even been able to get to the bios page, gigabytes site is dead xD the guy said they released a bios update for all its 970 cards

*Looks at freshly bought 970 Strix*

I feel really dirty now. I'm seriously considering returning it out of principle.

Then again, that's some class A armchair-activism and likely only negatively influence myself.

Card shouldn't have been advertised as 4GB. Shameful shit nvidia.

Let the fear mongering race begin!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I feel really dirty now. I'm seriously considering returning it out of principle.

Then again, that's some class A armchair-activism and likely only negatively influence myself.

I know that feels bro. It's worked great but now it feels like I got ripped off. I'll return it if they offer a recall and replacement thingy where it actually has 4gb of vram.

@TheBoneyKing

Added

| CPU: Core i5-3570K  |  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  |  CPU Cooler: CM Seidon 120V |

| GPU: EVGA GTX 970 ACX  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 mhz |

That's also the same guy who called everyone who criticized Assassin's Creed: Unity a bunch of "fucking idiots that don't know what Ubisoft's code looks like".

Yeah I'll wait until someone else confirms this about the 970.

All I am saying is NV would have immediately responded if what his article claims did not express NV's official position.

If you are referring to this article: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Ubisoft-Responds-Low-Frame-Rates-Assassins-Creed-Unity , it did not read to me the same way it did to you. If that quote of yours is actually a quote, please link me the article because that would be pretty f'ed up!

I feel really dirty now.

I know that feels bro. It's worked great but now it feels like I got ripped off. I'll return it if they offer a recall and replacement thingy where it actually has 4gb of vram.

Don't fret guys. You have some beast cards and this issue will resolve one way or another. I would wait until the situation unfolds and we have some real info, no one really knows what is going on right now.

This is total crap. I may not actually need that .5GB Right now but with the price of 4K going down, I might in the future. Can I get a refund for both of mine and get a single 980?

why would you get a single 980? get 2 R9 290s instead

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't fret guys. You have some beast cards and this issue will resolve one way or another. I would wait until the situation unfolds and we have some real info, no one really knows what is going on right now.

I know, and i'll likely stick with it since I dislike AMD cards (heat, consumption) more. But it still feels like you're perpetuating bad business decisions.

Dude i bought 1 for testing but by mistake bought 2 (different retailers, and a long story lol)

was going to sell the first one, but when i realized i had 2 i said "whatever, ill keep both and change my 280x crossfire set up" but now i feel scamed xD double scamed lol.

I know that even with 3.5gigs of vram the 970 sli will be more powerfull than my current crossfire set up, but still... im typing this on my notebook on top of the box of my msi gtx 970  (with the card still in it, since im on vacation away from home lol) and the 4GB GDDR5 stares at me from under the keyboard xD

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

It's just the false advertisement that bothers me, really. It'd have been a non-issue were it advertised as 3.5 or 3GB+.

That is true, and while they are at it, they would have charged less for it.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Either LTT members don't have the ability to read or I am going crazy...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

TBH thats false marketing. It should be advertised as 970 gtx 3.5gb (+0.5gb). It would not surprise me to see some lawsuits happen.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Sue hungry America!