1000TB DVDs !?!

EFD307

just saw this on my news feed from "I Fucking Love Science" very interesting.

http://theconversation.com/more-data-storage-heres-how-to-fit-1-000-terabytes-on-a-dvd-15306

"The exceptional penetration feature of light beams allow for 3D recording or fabrication, which can dramatically increase the data storage – the number of dots – on a single optical device."

looks like the disk isn't dead after all ;D

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

Now I just need to find 50,000 hours of Movies to burn to these discs.... :P

But, This is great. Imagine what people can do with all that extra space now. The only problem I see is would you need to get faster read speeds to read all the information?

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

they can do that but can't fit more than 4tb on a 3.5' drive ._.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

they can do that but can't fit more than 4tb on a 3.5' drive ._.

well thats because typically they have 4x1TB platters.....1TB platters are the largest I've heard in of being in consumer drives.

and that DVD will get much worse read and write speeds than a 1TB HDD.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

We can all finally download that 1.7tb torrent! 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

So much for optical disks being an obsolete technology lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Now I just need to find 50,000 hours of Movies to burn to these discs.... :P

But, This is great. Imagine what people can do with all that extra space now. The only problem I see is would you need to get faster read speeds to read all the information?

lets burn all the 4k movies !!!!

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

That is cool :)

I do like old tech that is still being used, someone said that the tape drives are still the best at storing data for long term storage (though I'd prefer Blu-Rays personally).

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I do like old tech that is still being used, someone said that the tape drives are still the best at storing data for long term storage (though I'd prefer Blu-Rays personally).

omgs these tapes are cheap

3TB for 30$

http://www.amazon.com/LTO5-Ultrium-1-5TB-3TB-Case/dp/B003KR4CXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371903245&sr=8-1&keywords=LTO-5

but the drives are expensive

most LTO4 and LTO5 drives are over $1000

LTO3 drives are around 300 dollars and LTO3 tapes take 800GB and cost $17 thats insane

i have lots of movies saved that i never use i only store it until needed which is pretty rare

ill definitely  look into this

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

One of the guys at the Office I work at who is in charge of data protection and other stuff like that uses something like this but more modern to make daily backups of the most important data. They are then put in a fire resistant safe until they are needed in a weeks time because there are 7 tapes and they are wiped and new data is put on them.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"