25 Hottest Tech Skills of 2014 (That Got People Hired)

So you are looking to get a job in the industry, hopefully this list will help you get your foot in the door:

The-25-Hottest-Skills-of-2014-on-LinkedI

We analyzed the skills and experience data in over 330 million LinkedIn member profiles. If your skills fit one of the categories above, there’s a good chance you either started a new job or garnered the interest of a recruiter in the past year.

Source: http://blog.linkedin.com/2014/12/17/the-25-hottest-skills-that-got-people-hired-in-2014/

Sure this list will benefit many of you, since I'm certain most of you are trying to make a career in this industry. Also, there's a separate slideshare that lists the top tech jobs by Country.

3 and 4 are my dream jobs.  Network Administrator/manager.  Or a Cyber-security researcher (makes me so exited just typing it!)

3 and 4 are my dream jobs.  Network Administrator/manager.  Or a Cyber-security researcher (makes me so exited just typing it!)

3 sounds good, cause it's hardware mostly :D

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

As someone who does primarily number one in the IT security space, after years of application development, I will say it's crazy to see the trends change - the "big data" marketing guys are really going crazy with their CSI like screens and getting all the management fired up to spend big bucks getting analytical power in house to number crunch real-time... it'll be a fun roller coaster.

Cyber-Security Researcher... ohh god I hope you enjoy spending weeks and weeks over code hoping to spot somebody's mistake! (I was trained as a pen tester and by god it was boring)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I was expecting virtualization to be a lot higher. Virtualization is all the rage and has been really blowing up over the past few years. Microsoft Azure and Amazon EC2 being the most prominent services, and even companies internally are doing a lot of virtualization in-house with Hyper-V, VMware, etc. You'd be dumb not to utilize virtualization to some degree at this point.

My skills are primarily in number 4. :)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So no Aerospace engineering? Awww...

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Im currently in college for game design and development with a minor in computer programming so i think i cover a good portion of this list with what im learning.

Hell yeah, my degree program is number 4

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3,11,13,22, and 25 are my forte. Luckily I'm getting a minor in Comp Sci with my major in Mechanical Engineering.

Honestly, I am not too surprised by the list. 95% of what was on that list is what I expected. The only things that stood out were: Economics and Shell Scripting Languages.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So no Aerospace engineering? Awww...

that really hasn't been big in about 2 decades. I study that for 2 years at ERAU but i changed to mech engineering 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

that really hasn't been big in about 2 decades. I study that for 2 years at ERAU but i changed to mech engineering

Aerospace is still massive, and alot of the theory is transferable to other areas, especially since a large part of aerospace is now about different systems. Eg the avionics on a plane is pretty much data analysis and computer systems. Also knowing matlab makes you popular. Also all those skills in the top 25 means alot of places want them but it doesn't say anything about turn over rate af these jobs.

Pretty much this^. Aerospace companies have been hiring more and more mechanical engineers as they diversify and need broader work done.

Mechanical engineering does have the advantage in being such a broad subject. You can find a job at a power plant, manufacturing company, modeling, petrol companies, car companies, aerospace and beyond.

Also, a computer science degree to tack on also helps. I have a close friend who got an internship at aerospace company that involves design and computer simulation, and he does some programming, but mostly focuses on the engineering aspect of simulation.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Pretty much this^. Aerospace companies have been hiring more and more mechanical engineers as they diversify and need broader work done.

Mechanical engineering does have the advantage in being such a broad subject. You can find a job at a power plant, manufacturing company, modeling, petrol companies, car companies, aerospace and beyond.

Also, a computer science degree to tack on also helps. I have a close friend who got an internship at aerospace company that involves design and computer simulation, and he does some programming, but mostly focuses on the engineering aspect of simulation.

yes, right now my major is engineering tech, which is 75% mech engineering and 25% helo operation and security

diversity is the key to be seen as a good asset to the company

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I have none of those skills

or .. 

well any skills really

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No Surprise to see statistical analysis in there.  Is this list in any order?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can confirm. When I updated my resume with data analysis/data intelligence experience I had a ton of emails and calls from placement firms.

I really like the sound of 9, 17 and 22 :D

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Useless list. Pretty much all of those are individual educations.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Here I am, waiting for a response for my internship application at an online marketing firm :D

Good to see this list exists.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Combination of 1, 11, 18.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I went to college for anthropology...

I can't even guess what most of this is.