Instant-start computers possible with new breakthrough!

Scientists have made a break through in computing that allows data to be encoded with nothing but an electric field allowing us to make computers faster and smaller while also reducing power consumption.

Researchers from Cornell University in the US have built a memory device that encodes data at room temperature with nothing but an electric field.

While that may sound a little abstract, it opens up the potential for engineers to create instant-start computers that use far less energy than today’s models.

Right now, our computers store data using electric currents. This works pretty well, but it significantly limits how small we can make computers - the wires that carry a current can only get so tiny.

Original Posts:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-created-the-device-that-could-build-instant-start-computers

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-12/cu-icp121814.php

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v516/n7531/full/nature14004.html

post-143162-0-38443200-1419074861.png

Woooohooo

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Use automatic font color please...there's many people using the night theme and your quote is in the same color as the background of the site...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

*In order to use this new memory technology your case must meet the minimum industry standard for high protection Tesla cages*

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

My pc bootup in 5 seconds i dont even have time to sit on chair what faster do you want brather?

I was thinking the same. From the article, it looks like the technology has far wider implications though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Meh wont see this for years if ever! Reason whui hate these articals.

Okay i guess we'll stop posting any news about any kind of scientific breakthrough just because you won't get to use it tomorrow.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I was thinking the same. From the article, it looks like the technology has far wider implications though.

For mobile/ phones yes but still phones have battery/processing power main problem that make boot slow.

Booting with an SSD on win8 is already so fast, for me it doesn't have to be instant. 

Yeah my pc boots faster then I can hit the button and sit down but I'd be interested if this tech ever come to phones they're about the only tech that I use daily with annoyingly long boot up times even 5 seconds is a pain in the ass when you just want to save or read a damn number off in a hurry.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

wondering if this can lead to a phone turning almost completly off, maybe a super liteweight core to take in new notifactions, and turn on the rest of the phone? could lead to phones with almost zero standby battery drain

My pc bootup in 5 seconds i dont even have time to sit on chair what faster do you want brather?

Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean technology shouldn't advance.

i dont mind waiting 60 seconds honestly. 

i only wait 60 seconds when i am installing critical windows updates or installing a new piece of hardware. otherwise, this system doesnt shutdown

Okay i guess we'll stop posting any news about any kind of scientific breakthrough just because you won't get to use it tomorrow.

Couldn't care less really. If you got told there was something super awesome coming in 5 years but you only had 4 years to live wouldnt you be somewhat annoyed?

While this is interesting, I see no reason to make our computers boot faster. My SSD boots to the login screen before my monitor even finishes turning on...

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Bring a magnet near it and boom there gors yoyr data

Magnets don't interfere with electrical fields

see that's what I said with my 20 second start times and then I got 3 ssds and I literally boot faster than my monitor takes to wake from sleep.

Couldn't care less really. If you got told there was something super awesome coming in 5 years but you only had 4 years to live wouldnt you be somewhat annoyed?

Do you only have 4 years to live?

Do you only have 4 years to live?

no but no doubt this will never be heard of again because it just wont be viable for mass production and something better will come along that will make it to market by the time this is viable for consumers.