High Frame Rate Movies

Not sure if true for anybody else but movie theaters by me are starting to play "high frame rate" movies

I do not know the actual frame rate but thought is was noteworthy

Probably 48fps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I still have yet to go see one. It might look amazing (idk), but in film the frame rate isn't really important like it is in gaming. Might be an improvement, but not really a necessary one unless they start releasing it on disc or digital as well.

Git Gud.

Probably 48fps

That will look like 240fps to console gamers xD

They will say "Why does the movie look like it's sped up?"

(I have nothing against consoles, I have a PS4)

I still have yet to go see one. It might look amazing (idk), but in film the frame rate isn't really important like it is in gaming. Might be an improvement, but not really a necessary one unless they start releasing it on disc or digital as well.

The only movie to utilize this are The Hobbit films.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

Whenever the scene pans across the landscape at traditional 24fps you notice the terrible stuttering that is 24fps. Personally it makes me feel sick, thats why I "pirate" most films if I find a torrent site that have the films in the fps and resolution they are rendered at.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

As far as I understand there are close to none actually HFR movies, except from the three Hobbit movies there are just 2-3 others

Well we have Avatar 2 through 4 to look forward too. Those are confirmed HFR (48fps)

Just saw the Hobbit five armies in HFR, it is really beautiful, there are just two problems. Sometimes they shake the camera a bit too much which doesn't work for HFR. And sometimes they still manages to move the camera too fast so that things get blurred out. My main problem with 24fps is the extreme blurring with just some cameramovement, sad to see it still happening  few times on 48fps. 60 (120) next!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

That will look like 240fps to console gamers xD

They will say "Why does the movie look like it's sped up?"

(I have nothing against consoles, I have a PS4)

They'll look more like Soap Operas. No frame blur when panning is weird

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

They'll look more like Soap Operas. No frame blur when panning is weird

Oh my god. I had no idea why they looked so bad until you said that. Thinking about it, can't believe I didn't figure that out years ago

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

48 , but avatar 2 & 3 are set to be played on 60fps but i heard a news later that it was pushed down to 48fps

Details separate people.

24 fps is the best for TV and film, anything higher looks cheap and low budget, like a soap opera almost.

inb4 the PCMR plebs come in and start talking about something they know nothing about.

Oh my god. I had no idea why they looked so bad until you said that. Thinking about it, can't believe I didn't figure that out years ago

IS THAT WHAT THAT IS?

I always thought they looked weird.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Haven't checked out hfr film yet, as its only been available atleast in my area on 3d hobbit films, and I am not a big fan of 3d.

I do look forward to this though. So while it may be subjective, I think most people are negative towards hfr because it's different. I get the 'soap opera' argument, but even though I haven't seen it myself I just don't buy it, I could be wrong though. It's kinda like saying let's make a movie that's less lifelike. Is anyone calling to bring back 18fps? I am also sure then those same people would also support 30fps gaming caps, otherwise it messes with the 'feel' of the game.

But hey I could be wrong, I look forward to seeing it for myself.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't 24 fps chosen for minimal technical and economic reasons, not because it was actually the best experience.

That's why Numb3rs is so advanced

24 fps is the best for TV and film, anything higher looks cheap and low budget, like a soap opera almost.

inb4 the PCMR plebs come in and start talking about something they know nothing about.

I think if I wasn't accustomed to 24fps in TV, then it wouldn't be that bad and would probably feel weird switching to 24fps. I do like how it keeps sizes of the content small, though

48 , but avatar 2 & 3 are set to be played on 60fps but i heard a news later that it was pushed down to 48fps

Recorded at 60, shown at 48

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

That is just because that is what you are used too. I admit that the first Hobbit was weird to watch the first time. But I saw that a second time and then it was just a joy. Same for the second and third.

You just have to get used to it, that's all

That is just because that is what you are used too.

Except this isn't the case at all. Again, 24 fps is used for very specific reasons in order to convey certain things to the viewer (as well as to save film, although this isn't the case so much anymore).

I enjoyed The Hobbit at 48 fps, for the record.

Recorded at 60, shown at 48

I hope this will be resampled properly but its more versatile for home use.

I hope this will be resampled properly but its more versatile for home use.

I would suspect that the intent for recording at 60 but preseting at 48 is so that in the future they can release the 60fps edition when the marked is ready for it