Samsung Files Complaint with ITC to Block Nvidia Chips From US Markets

ImNotARobot

No, Nvidia was seeking a ban on Samsung devices BEFORE Samsung accused them of cheating in benchmarks. If you are going to take a side then make sure your facts are correct.

Which began on the claim Nvidia had that samsung stole their GPU technology.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia has every right to block Samsung sales if they contain Nvidia property rights, even if Samsung did not directly infringe on the design.

It would be absurd if I bought a friend's product that infringes on another party's patents and I told the courts, "Well I already paid my friend, why should I have to pay the real inventors too!?"

Samsung makes very few products that don't suck ass. They should fuck off.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Correct. Really frustrates me when the pc community see no wrong in the companies they like e.g steam and gabe newell.

Probably because they are the best we have. Which is good because Valve do very few bad things. But most of all is that they try their hardest to do business the right way. When they fail we tell them and they fix it. Green light is a good example of this. They know we don't like it and they are responding to that by altering it of scrapping it entirely. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

they make good laundry machines.

They have some pretty nice fridges also lol I can't think of any sector Samsung actually suck at despite what all the Nvidia fanboys may say.

I gotta say I like their BR burners also haha.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

People seem to have forgot that IP infringement is basicall theft, and while Samsung did not make the chip themselves they were made aware that the IP they are purchasing is stolen and thus their continued use is the same as making profit from stolen goods.  Not too mention they are buying an SOC, which unlike socketed CPUs, is not an end product and does nothing until Samsung install it to one of their specifically designed products, then the IP is realised.

Not too mention the current bias the US legal system/government seems to have for US companies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They have some pretty nice fridges also lol I can't think of any sector Samsung actually suck at despite what all the Nvidia fanboys may say.

I gotta say I like their BR burners also haha.

Their TVs are meh.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That's a extremely biased opinion you have there, they make many products that are good or at least no worse then the bulk of their competition so I guess 98% of everything just sucks right?

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Their TVs are meh.

Their TV's are as good or better then the competition in most low to mid price brackets. They're not outstandingly awesome but I wouldn't say there's any TV manufacturer that is. So you could say TV's in general are meh.

Nvidia has every right to block Samsung sales if they contain Nvidia property rights, even if Samsung did not directly infringe on the design.

It would be absurd if I bought a friend's product that infringements on another party's patents and I told the courts, "Well I already paid my friend, why should I have to pay the real inventors too!?"

The scary thing is that Nvidia could block pretty much all handsets from being sold if they win against Samsung. They could block the iPhone, all HTC phones, all Motorola phones, all Sony phones, all of them.

I am not saying that Nvidia are wrong, but I really hope they are because otherwise they basically get control over the entire smartphone market. All phones that has a GPU from ARM, Imagination or Qualcomm would be blockable using the same patents and rulings.

Like I said in the original thread, this isn't really Nvidia vs Samsung. This is Nvidia vs Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola, LG, Apple, Qualcomm, ARM, Imagination, OnePlus, Oppo, Huawei, Nokia, Microsoft, ZTE and many more.

Flash

SSDs

SoCs

Transistor manufacturing in general

Displays

Batteries

Camera sensors

Phones (even if you dislike their in hand feel they are still top of the time phones pushing the industry forward)

Wireless data protocols (such as 3G and LTE)

Graphene research

Even if you dislike TouchJizz it has introduced plenty of good things (such as quick toggles in the notification area and a web browser with a backing store)

Not to mention all the non-consumer electronics fields they are involved in. You're very ignorant if you don't think they make a lot of "products that don't suck ass".

The scary thing is that Nvidia could block pretty much all handsets from being sold if they win against Samsung. They could block the iPhone, all HTC phones, all Motorola phones, all Sony phones, all of them.

I am not saying that Nvidia are wrong, but I really hope they are because otherwise they basically get control over the entire smartphone market. All phones that has a GPU from ARM, Imagination or Qualcomm would be blockable using the same patents and rulings.

Like I said in the original thread, this isn't really Nvidia vs Samsung. This is Nvidia vs Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola, LG, Apple, Qualcomm, ARM, Imagination, OnePlus, Oppo, Huawei, Nokia, Microsoft, ZTE and many more.

Flash

SSDs

SoCs

Displays

Batteries

Camera sensors

Phones (even if you dislike their in hand feel they are still top of the time phones pushing the industry forward)

Graphene research

Even if you dislike TouchJizz it has introduced plenty of good things (such as quick toggles in the notification area and a web browser with a backing store)

Not to mention all the non-consumer electronics fields they are involved in. You're very ignorant if you don't think they make a lot of "products that don't suck ass".

lol You forgot their optical drives they're pretty good(much better then pioneer for example) I can't comment on their hard drives though.

Their TV's are as good or better then the competition in most low to mid price brackets. They're not outstandingly awesome but I wouldn't say there's any TV manufacturer that is. So you could say TV's in general are meh.

There are some swedish manufacturers that blow the rest of the world apart. The downside is the machines will cost you $10,000 or more a piece.

lol You forgot their optical drives they're pretty good(much better then pioneer for example) I can't comment on their hard drives though.

Their hard drives used to be great. Back when the 1TB F3 was their top of the line drive it had a lower failure rate and higher performance than the WD Black and Seagate Barracuda lines.

They sold their HDD division to Seagate a few years back though.

There are some swedish manufacturers that blow the rest of the world apart. The downside is the machines will cost you $10,000 or more a piece.

Ok... So they're still pretty competitive in their price brackets though in fact while I hate touchwiz I personally prefer the software used on most Samsung tv's/home theaters when directly compared to anything in the same price brackets.

Though I'd really like to see one of these bad ass swedish tv's you mention in person(I'm not about to buy one but I'd like to see one)

Ok... So they're still pretty competitive in their price brackets though in fact while I hate touchwiz I personally prefer the software used on most Samsung tv's/home theaters when directly compared to anything in the same price brackets.

Though I'd really like to see one of these bad ass swedish tv's you mention in person(I'm not about to buy one but I'd like to see one)

I'll have to find the "How It's Made" episode (or some show like that) where I first saw, but they're all-steel construction, flat-screen plasma with top surround sound. They weigh more than the standard 5'8 male.

You guys saying Samsung TVs suck have not tried them out I bet.

The 6950 series has a snappy and responsive quad core (I don't know what) processor that makes using the TVs smart hub features a pleasure. Not all TVs I've tried are like this. And this is a pretty cheap 4k tv relatively speaking. The image quality is great too.

Also, get facts before making decisions. I'm just assuming everyone who immediately jumped on one side of the fence is under 15 or God help humanity.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

You guys saying Samsung TVs suck have not tried them out I bet.

The 6950 series has a snappy and responsive quad core (I don't know what) processor that makes using the TVs smart hub features a pleasure. Not all TVs I've tried are like this. And this is a pretty cheap 4k tv relatively speaking. The image quality is great too.

Also, get facts before making decisions. I'm just assuming everyone who immediately jumped on one side of the fence is under 15 or God help humanity.

I've used a number of them in the 50-65" range, and the picture is meh. As I noted in an earlier post, there's a swedish boutique maker of premium plasma screens, and they're beautiful while also having amazing sound.

You guys do know Nvidia started this.... lol

Well, you've gotta blame someone and knowing Samsung's history I choose to blame them, whether it's justified or not. :D -Joking-

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Well, you've gotta blame someone and knowing Samsung's history.....I choose to blame them, whether it's justified or not. :D

That's a very bad attitude to have.

Samsung's history isn't that bad either (when it comes to lawsuits). Many people say they are always suing people but what they fail to realize is that they are doing it as a defense. They usually get sued first and then counter sue to protect themselves.

You don't blame the guy who fights back after getting hit in the face.

Personally I would like to see the patent system get drastically changed. No software patents and a dramatically lower life time on patents. You shouldn't give someone a government granted monopoly on a technology for 20 years. That is insane.

Samsung's history isn't that bad either (when it comes to lawsuits). Many people say they are always suing people but what they fail to realize is that they are doing it as a defense. They usually get sued first and then counter sue to protect themselves.

You don't blame the guy who fights back after getting hit in the face.

Personally I would like to see the patent system get drastically changed. No software patents and a dramatically lower life time on patents. You shouldn't give someone a government granted monopoly on a technology for 20 years. That is insane.

Think about how long it takes to get an idea to market from the moment of conception. For drug companies who have to pass all those clinical trials and get a manufacturing process working, it can be 18 years before sales begin. I don't know what the overall timeline is for semiconductor tech, but 10 years sounds reasonable to me.

As per software, I kind disagree. If I put months of work into a software product, I should have a defense against jackasses who want to decompile my executable and resell it for cheaper. Now, how long that defense should last is up for debate, but it should exist.

Chillax dude! I was joking. Couldn't you tell by the :D? ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Flash

SSDs

SoCs

Displays

Batteries

Camera sensors

Graphene research

Maybe, but If nvidia aren't just capitalising on the patent system and they did actually invest what they said they have then they have every right to ask for licensing fees for their IP.  It's not like HTC, motorola and apple don't already pay licensing fees to each other for various IP.

We aren't talking end of the world stuff for these companies either. If we were to assume Nvidia were successful and forced everyone to pay, the cost of handsets would probably on rise by a few cents, or dollars at the most for the end consumer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Maybe, but If nvidia aren't just capitalising on the patent system and they did actually invest what they said they have then they have every right to ask for licensing fees for their IP.  It's not like HTC, motorola and apple don't already pay licensing fees to each other for various IP.

We aren't talking end of the world stuff for these companies either. If we were to assume Nvidia were successful and forced everyone to pay, the cost of handsets would probably on rise by a few cents, or dollars at the most for the end consumer.

But why should Samsung pay for he IP or the licensing of PowerVR, Mali, Adreno, to Imagination Tech & NVIDIA, ARM & NVIDIA and Qualcomm & NVIDIA - for each respective GPU? If there is any IP violation why should a customer be paying for the suppliers violation? This is how ridiculous this case is.

What's next? Walmart for selling smartphones from several brands that use gpus that are claimed to be infringing nvidia patents.

Samsung has the same right has NVIDIA to file lawsuits if their IP is in violation.

I just hope this just sucks hundreds of millions from both companys and end up in nothing - just like what Apple did.

Fuck samsung as a company

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

@bogus I can't quote due to server issues.

Even if the court finds that Samsung did not directly infringe IP in the design process, There is still the question of them profiting from building products that use Nvidias IP without permission.  The whole argument that Samsung are only a customer could well be moot.