PS3 "Fat" internals show off. A $800 console from 2007.

connorpiper

I took apart my PS3 fat yesterday to replace the thermal paste and clean out the internals. (80GB Model from 2007, never cleaned)

This was the flagship model, 80GB HDD (Seagate Momentus 5400RPM) with Wireless and card reader.

WARNING! LOTS OF 8MP PICTURES TO LOAD! (If on mobile, turn back now)

The top panel actually slides off, so satisfying. 

DSC_0527.JPG

The 2nd (Yes there is two) top panel with the card reader installed. You can see some dust proofing foam seals.

DSC_0528.JPG

Removed Wireless card. With the bluetooth antenna on the board and the wireless (Internets) one on the tiny board.

DSC_0529.JPG

Blueray drive (This is the release model one too! The non-release models had plastic enclosures!)

DSC_0530.JPG

PSU.

DSC_0531.JPG

Rubycon caps!

DSC_0526.JPG

The motherboard. (Notice metal shielding on BOTH sides of the board)   

DSC_0533.JPG

The other shield. 

DSC_0532.JPG

The massive heatsink.

DSC_0524.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

The fan. Massive coils, weighs about 5lbs.

DSC_0534.JPG

Me spoiling that Cell processor with Antec Formula 7

DSC_0535.JPG

The assembled Mainboard and heatsink combo. (Upside down in terms of the case)

DSC_0538.JPG

All three "Fat" models. All release models, (The PS2 is a mystery, it has the IR sensor and the Ethernet adapter, though it has a early date code)

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0544.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

Even though we hate on consoles, the PS3 is one wonderful peice of tech. The PS2 is light and feels cheap, while the ps4 is heavy and creaks. The PS3 does not do either, it is built very nicely, with quality stuff. 

Also, this thing uses about 10 2" screws that go from the top of the plastic case to the bottom of the motherboard, just making sure that it does not fall apart if thrown off a cliff. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I still love my old PS2 silver

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Whoa, yours had an awful lot of Q-Tips in it. 

The last generation was much more impressive than this generation. Sony was selling the PS3 for a loss from the start, but it made for pretty much a decade life cycle. 

how did you open it to what side do you slide the panel?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Ah, from a console gen that was actually worth it..

Nice console, have a Ultra Slim model here on my desk and I am quite happy with the PS3 :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wonder if that heatsink could be used in a desktop

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Didn't the PS3 get a hardware downgrade?

Same performance. Less quality. Just to compete with the Potatobox.  

Also, without the 2nd GPU and "Graphics Synthesizer" so no PS2 games! 

Didn't the PS3 get a hardware downgrade?

Yeah, the slims weren't backwards compatible, had physical power/eject buttons and didn't have a seperate power supply switch on the back of the console. I thought that was pointless at first until my kids started playing with the buttons.

It's crazy to think though, as expensive as the PS3 was in those first couple years it was a competitively priced Blu Ray player.

how did you open it to what side do you slide the panel?

You have to peel the Void Warranty sticker on the bottom, revealing a screw, take it out. And done! It slides off. 

Can I use the Blu-ray drive on my PC? I have a fatty collecting dust,  I don't even remember where I left it...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Can I use the Blu-ray drive on my PC? I have a fatty collecting dust,  I don't even remember where I left it...

Nope. Uses special Sony stuff.

Oh yes, the toaster oven model! Mine sadly died due to the optical drive and HDD failing after a few years. That wasn't the release version though, on release the PS3 cost 600€ here..... Now with the PS4 being cheaper on release, yet sony still making money on every sold unit the performance of the current gen consoles makes a ton of sense. The thing I would still like to give sony credit for is the fact that they allow you to easily swap the HDD with whatever you want (you just need to remove one screw IIRC), that they're standard 2.5'' drives and that you don't void your warranty doing that.

Nope. Uses special Sony stuff.

Well... shit. He shall keep collecting dust then.  :P

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

We hate on current potatoes because they are underpowered.

We don't hate on older gen consoles which were actually good.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

We hate on current potatoes because they are underpowered.

We don't hate on older gen consoles which were actually good.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I love my PS3, sure the developers didn't like it and it was expensive but this console rekindled my love for gaming!

Also for the lolz remember this:

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Just opened up my phat 360 yesterday.

It's still running never RROD.

System: Thinkpad T460

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

It's not nostalgia.

Back at release, PS3 actually was competitive with more expensive PC.

Too bad that PC of today is cheaper than ever and peasant companies do not lose much(if at all) money on their potatoes.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Must I remind you. The PS4 is $400 and makes money.

The PS3 was $600 but cost $800.

PS3 retailed closer to a $1000 here in AUS when it launched and it was never competitive with a comparable computer imo. 

It's not nostalgia.

Back at release, PS3 actually was competitive with more expensive PC.

Too bad that PC of today is cheaper than ever and peasant companies do not lose much(if at all) money on their potatoes.

PS3 retailed closer to a $1000 here in AUS when it launched and it was never competitive with a comparable computer imo. 

It had 9 cores 10 threads at 3.2GHz.

And a Nvidia off the shelf GPU. 

$1000 no. $800 yes. 

i remember how solid my gamecube felt. 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

At the time it was essentially a good value blue ray player. Because those things also retailed at crazy prices here. But yeah, the PS3 was so expensive when it launched.  The Nvidia GPU was clocked at  500-600mhz was that comparable to what the top 8000 series (I think that's 2006/2007) would have offered? As for the CPU 

It had 9 cores 10 threads at 3.2GHz.

And a Nvidia off the shelf GPU. 

$1000 no. $800 yes.