Worlds First 3D Printed Car

ionbasa

img_6638.jpg?w=770

This weekend, Arizona-based Local Motors made history when they drove out of the International Manufacturing and Technology Show (IMTS) in Chicago in the world’s first 3D printed car. This is not a news story from the year 2114, as much as it may seem.

The Strati is an electric-powered two-seat compact roadsters that uses the battery, motor, wiring, and suspension from a variety of sources, including Renault’s Twizy city car, but the chassis and body of the car are printed from a carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic compound in a giant printer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/world-3d-printed-drivable-car-takes-44-hours-article-1.1940011

and

In a matter of two days, history was made at Chicago’s McCormick Place, as the world’s first 3D printed electric car—named Strati, Italian for “layers”– took its first test drive.

“Less than 50 parts are in this car,” said Jay Rogers from Local Motors.

Roger’s company is part of the team that developed the engineering process to manufacture an entire car with carbon fiber plastic and print it with a large 3D printer set up at McCormick Place by Cincinnati Incorporated.

http://wgntv.com/2014/09/13/made-in-chicago-worlds-first-3d-printed-electric-car/

I find it amazing that it only took about 44 hours. I honestly see this as the future of automobile customisability. Imagine going to the BMW website and customizing your own vehicle, to your own specs. 

Also, here is a video: 

In conclusion, this is a good start in proving the ability of 3D printers, and in proving that it is possible to have a structurally safe and stable vehicle that is printed. I would hope that soon, we could expand this technology even further, such as 3D printed airplanes, and maybe even spacecraft.

Personally, I wouldn't ride in one just yet. I would like to see how the IIHS can torture test it :P .

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Drive it in to a tree at 60mph. Tell me what happens or if a mop is needed afterwards.

Which explains my last statement in the OP.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

or the 0-60mph time

The 60-wall time is much more fun though.

Which explains my last statement in the OP.

IIHS ain't got nuthin' on me.

Can't wait till I can print out a 205 T16 body and duct-tape it onto my Skoda.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Drive it in to a tree at 60mph. Tell me what happens or if a mop is needed afterwards.

Exactly what I's thinking. How would a plastic car handle a bad car collision? I'd imagine not very well. There is a reason that they make cars out of metal and not plastic ya know. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If you drive any car into a tree at 60 mph you will probably die.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

car.jpg

Yes... Yes I would.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If you drive any car into a tree at 60 mph you will probably die.

But hey, it's carbon fibre reinforced plastic!

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Exactly what I's thinking. How would a plastic car handle a bad car collision? I'd imagine not very well. There is a reason that they make cars out of metal and not plastic ya know. :D

Actually, I'm guessing plastic could actually do pretty good in a collision. The reason being that it may compress and crinkle better than metal. This is essential to surviving any crash as crumpling allows for energy to be absorbed by the car over a longer period of time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

Actually, I'm guessing plastic could actually do pretty good in a collision. The reason being that it may compress and crinkle better than metal. This is essential to surviving any crash as crumpling allows for energy to be absorbed by the car over a longer period of time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

But plastic doesn't absorb as much energy, considering how much more malleable it is.

But plastic doesn't absorb as much energy, considering how much more malleable it is.

But you can do stuff to plastic on a molecular level to rearrange its atomic geometry. Also, since it is more malleable, that should mean it can absorb energy over a longer period of time. 

A rigid object actually absorbs kinetic energy worse than an softer object. At least this is what I learned from my university physics class. 

PS: If any materials engineers are here, please shine some light on the subject.

But you can do stuff to plastic on a molecular level to rearrange its atomic geometry. Also, since it is more malleable, that should mean it can absorb energy over a longer period of time. 

A rigid object actually absorbs kinetic energy worse than an softer object. At least this is what I learned from my university physics class. 

PS: If any materials engineers are here, please shine some light on the subject.

Would actually want to find out more about the subject myself aswell.

But hey, it's carbon fibre reinforced plastic!

You still gonna die man.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Would actually want to find out more about the subject myself aswell.

I believe that it would come down to the elasticity of the collision, this page has some good examples: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr.html#cc2

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html#cc1

Albeit, its fairly simplified. 

From reading, the more crimping/collapsing happening, the less force exerted on the cars occupants.

Although, one thing I didn't think about was the tensile strength of plastic. Tensile strength is where a material breaks apart from an force. I believe with plastic, it wouldn't be able to handle an abrupt change in force being applied, ie: the plastic may break rather than crinkle in the event of an crash.

PS: I'm a mechanical engineer student, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

It would also be much lighter then a car made of metal thus wouldn't impact with the same kinetic energy as a metal car at the same speed mass matters a lot. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

It would also be much lighter then a car made of metal thus wouldn't impact with the same kinetic energy as a metal car at the same speed mass matters a lot. 

Great point, honestly, I can see this being used in 2 decades for mass manufacturing. We can already 3D print with metal alloys.

I can imagine that airplanes and spacecraft may also pick up on 3D printed materials. It will definitely be a decrease in weight, which should also result in more efficiency overall.