GS30 Shadow MSI w/ External GPU. UPDATE 11/09/14

This looks very interesting, possibly the first true thunderbolt e-gpu dock.

Source

GS30_2.png      GS30_3.png

Unleash the graphics power by Intel Iris Pro

Eric Kuo, vice president of global sales & marketing, MSI Notebook, pointed out that the latest GS30 Shadow is designed for mobile gamers who don’t want to compromise between portability and performance. With its incredible thin and insanely powerful, MSI wants to create new style of this performance machine not only for gamers, but for some stylish and cutting edge fashion users.

Docking and transforming, shift into the Elysium!

There is a specific GamingDock designed for GS30 Shadow and the overall graphics performance will be shifted to a higher level while GS30 Shadow is docking on it. By the inserted desktop discrete graphics card inside the GamingDock, more graphics calculation will be enhanced and more visual detailed will be revealed. Users can choose any desktop graphics card, which is stronger and more powerful, then easily insert into it to unleash the most stunning visual effect and deliver the most exciting gaming experience to gamers by full bandwidth of PCI-e x16. The GamingDock is no wonder the most powerful upgraded cannon for slim gaming laptops to play on those most performance demanding titles in highest resolution and settings. The target launch time would be January 2015.

GS30_4.png

GS30_5.png   

I hope this really does come to market and that it doesn't end up as vapourware. There's no mention of the link between the GPU and the laptop but I assume it's thunderbolt (Or equivalent) through a proprietary interface on the bottom of the laptop. I hope this takes off as a trend in laptops for the future, these mobile CPUs are plenty powerful to hand high end single GPUs.

Hopefully the pricing and availability is decent so that we can get our hands on it :D

Edit 10/09/14 :

Thanks snowComet for the post, here's a very basic hands on video of the laptop and dock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71VnfhgIA

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-09-10%2Bat%2B22.03.

The video confirms a couple of my suspicions as well as a few other things. 

1. The laptop connects to the dock via a connector on the base rear of the laptop and so must be placed on top to utilise the external GPU.

2. The external unit comes with/has space for a PSU

3. The video mentioned pricing of around $1K for the laptop and a couple hundred for the dock as likely.  Price confirmed as $2000

4. The dock has 2 Pcie brackets so triple slot cards are unlikely to fit without modification.

5. The laptop is powered through the proprietary connector whilst docked (In most configurations)

Edit 11/09/14

Using photoshop and fiddling around with exposure revels 3 objects behind the grille. I'm guessing that these are either speakers (Confirmed 2.1 setup) or fans (more likely the latter), however a combination of both is a possibility.

MSI-laptop-8%2Bcopy.jpg

Edit 05/01/2015

Several things have now been officially confirmed.

• The interface is PCIE Gen 3.0 16x not Thunderbolt
  • The dock includes room for more storage, 3.5" mount
  • The dock and the laptop will be sold together for $2000 MSRP
  • For some higher end GPUs (ie 980) the laptop and the dock must be plugged in seperately

gs30-3.jpg

gs30-4.jpg

Laptop Specs:

Screen: 13.3" 1080p

CPU: i7-4780HQ

GPU: Iris Pro 5200

RAM 16GB DDR3

Storage: MSI Super Raid 0 (M.2)

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

dude dont copy paste the whole thing

post important stuff pics and then ur opinion and thoughts

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

gpu is iris graphics, meh

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Once you plug it in it isn't.

Iris Pro is as powerful as the GPU in AMD's Kaveri chips. Intel just lacks the drivers to make programming for it seamless. That changes with Skylake of course where Intel has already put a whole graphics library into Linux.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Holy shit this is pretty amazing.

I may have to get one for college..think of that. After you wake up from gaming, disconnect and go to class. Boom.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Holy shit this is pretty amazing.

I may have to get one for college..think of that. After you wake up from gaming, disconnect and go to class. Boom.

Unfortunately a January 2015 launch is some time away and availability will surely be scarce.

Price?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Once you plug it in it isn't.

Still, who is going to carry this around, laptops are mean't to be convenient, not bulk, rather bring a Asus 750JZ, since it would be lighter

Iris Pro is as powerful as the GPU in AMD's Kaveri chips. Intel just lacks the drivers to make programming for it seamless. That changes with Skylake of course where Intel has already put a whole graphics library into Linux.

Or when DX12 comes out

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Still, who is going to carry this around, laptops are mean't to be convenient, not bulk, rather bring a Asus 750JZ, since it would be lighter

I'm pretty sure that's not the intended use case scenario. This is more like instead of needing a big desktop for gaming you have the laptop plugged into the dock which sits on the desk. Then the laptop itself is meant to be carried around and Iris Pro can be used in a cinch.

Also being able to replace the GPU is a big plus as you can't replace the GPU in most laptops.

I'm pretty sure that's not the intended use case scenario. This is more like instead of needing a big desktop for gaming you have the laptop plugged into the dock which sits on the desk. Then the laptop itself is meant to be carried around and Iris Pro can be used in a cinch.

Also being able to replace the GPU is a big plus as you can't replace the GPU in most laptops.

^This. External R9 295x2 anyone?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

^This. External R9 295x2 anyone?

Hopefully haha, I wonder what the power restrictions will be as it looks like a self contained unit.

Hopefully haha, I wonder what the power restrictions will be as it looks like a self contained unit.

Just have a PSU standing by :P

so wait, you put it on the dock, and it then has a external GPU for high performance gaming? that sounds Awesome!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

The dock seems a bit large though, what is in it? (I hope also the posiblity for an HDD (either via that PCI lane or SATA express or USB3.0) 

Or maybe a ton of cooling

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Ya pretty much.

so wait, you put it on the dock, and it then has a external GPU for high performance gaming? that sounds Awesome!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The dock seems a bit large though, what is in it? (I hope also the posiblity for an HDD (either via that PCI lane or SATA express or USB3.0)

Or maybe a ton of cooling

I'm guessing it's a power supply, pcie slot and some other ports like usb 3.0 & ethernet judging from the pictures.

Very interesting concept, and I do think that this could replace the regular desktop for quite a few people. Obviously, a gamer and/or enthusiast with the "I want all the frames and highest settings" attitude, it's not, but for someone, who is just somewhat of a casual gamer, this could be a very good alternative, if competitively priced. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

That dock is huge, 

what did u expect, custom gpus, psu, a board for the pci lanes, cooling fans, etc.

better be less than $900 or im getting a Lenovo Y50

Doubt it, the laptop itself may cost that much but I'm guessing the dock will be another 200-300USD. I'm curious as to weather the laptop screen is used or if it has to be an external monitor. 

Since the laptop needs to be on top of that massive docking station whenever you use the external GPU, it seems like it'd be impossible to play games comfortably on the laptop itself. If I really I wanted to lug a monitor and keyboard with me everywhere when I travel, I'd probably just stick with a mini ITX system. If somebody needs an actual portable gaming PC, a gaming laptop is a better choice. If somebody just wants to game at home and take something for light browsing on the go, then they're still probably better off with a gaming desktop and a cheap tablet. It's still a cool idea, but I'm not a fan.

I don't like the whole docking part of it. Couldn't they have made it just a cable or something? I guess if you have to use an external monitor in docked mode anyway it's not much of a stretch to also require an external keyboard, but it just looks awkward and bulky.

I do like the concept though. Sony had a short-lived series of laptops with a similar concept, only the result was "ultrabook that turned into a low-end gaming laptop when docked" since the dock used a mobile GPU anyway so it only reduced the weight. Still a good idea, but I wouldn't have bought one unless the dock's GPU were at least a high-end mobile GPU.