GS30 Shadow MSI w/ External GPU. UPDATE 11/09/14

This seems amazing, manufactures could make a standard laptop i7 4700mq, 8gb ram and intergrated graphics, charge for the dock and give a discount on one of their graphics cards, something like £40 off any GTX 700 series graphics card. The main issue I have with "gaming laptops" is you pay alot of money for not alot of performance (compared to a desktop system). I think it'd be fair to charge £600-£700 for the base system, £100 for the dock and then when you buy the GPU (770 in this instance, which costs £223 for a MSI Twin Frozr, so with the discount, that'd be £183), you would be spending £883-£983 for a really good system (and pretty cheap, here in the uk, since a i7 4700mq with a 870m will cost you about £1100-£1300, depending on model).

They could still sell the mobile gpus as some people would want to game on the move and the dock obviously can't be used on the move. It'd be for people who want a laptop for work, but when they get home, they can plug it in and play games.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Some digging in photoshop reveals 3 circular objects behind the grill on the front of the dock. I'm guessing that these are fans however speakers are a possibility.

MSI-laptop-8%2Bcopy.jpg

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering