Tesla increases warranty drive unit model S

samcool55

Tesla posted on their blog the warranty of the drive unit of the model S is increased to 8 years so it is the same as the battery pack.

What's also nice is that the number of miles does not matter, and if the car changes owner, no problem. The warranty isn't gone.

Also cars that are already sold have the increased warranty. 

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

ps: my english isn't great

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Well that's awesome, better than the rest of the manufacturers out there...

30k miles or 3 years is BS as some are offering. You go Musk!

Think about that statement again. Is the kind of warranty you get on the IC engine powered car bad?

Given how complex IC is compared to electric motors...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Think about that statement again. Is the kind of warranty you get on the IC engine powered car bad?

Given how complex IC is compared to electric motors...

Yes, because vehicles here get problems fairly quickly. 30k miles is nothing too. Managed to see 30k miles racked up in under 6 months. Boom, warranty is gone.

Yes, because vehicles here get problems fairly quickly. 30k miles is nothing too. Managed to see 30k miles racked up in under 6 months. Boom, warranty is gone.

Who even gives 50k km warranty?

Most manufactures I know of have 100k km / 3 years.

Also, most people make maybe one quarter of the miles your extreme case does.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Who even gives 50k km warranty?

Most manufactures I know of have 100k km / 3 years.

Also, most people make maybe one quarter of the miles your extreme case does.

50 mile drive to and from work each day along with places to go can do that. Don't forget, in America, nothing is close. I remember when most companies offered 100k miles/5 years as their warranties.

50 mile drive to and from work each day along with places to go can do that. Don't forget, in America, nothing is close. I remember when most companies offered 100k miles/5 years as their warranties.

There's a reason that in Texas, when people talk about "how far" some place is, they use time and not miles. 

"That's about 4 hours away." or something similar. 

Texas is it's own small nation. :| Everything is far here. Just... everything.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

There's a reason that in Texas, when people talk about "how far" some place is, they use time and not miles. 

"That's about 4 hours away." or something similar. 

Texas is it's own small nation. :| Everything is far here. Just... everything.

Heh... The closest city to me is Monahans which is nothing extraordinary. 

good guy elon :)

Its all about those volumetric clouds

The average distance traveled by Australian cars is 28,000 Km a year.  I personally do 300Km a week nearly every week.  And when I was traveling for work I would do closer to 40,000 a year.

electric motors have an extremely long life span without maintenance.  esp. the brush-less designs which if it wasn't for bearings not being perfect would last for ever. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'll still go with a toyota diesel light pickup, 400k miles easily doable. When electric cars have the same kind of lifespan, then they might have some value in my eyes.

Edit: Also when it doesn't take like 8 hours to charge, and can go the same sort of distance on that charge.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'll still go with a toyota diesel light pickup, 400k miles easily doable. When electric cars have the same kind of lifespan, then they might have some value in my eyes.

Edit: Also when it doesn't take like 8 hours to charge, and can go the same sort of distance on that charge.

charging may not be an issue,  swappable batteries may still become a thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The average distance traveled by Australian cars is 28,000 Km a year. I personally do 300Km a week nearly every week. And when I was traveling for work I would do closer to 40,000 a year.

electric motors have an extremely long life span without maintenance. esp. the brush-less designs which if it wasn't for bearings not being perfect would last for ever.

Very true, properly made motors can last a really long time, as long as the insulation holds. Tesla could probably have a 10 year warranty on the motors of they wanted to IMO.

IC is much more complex and has many points of failure.

Spoiler

Very true, properly made motors can last a really long time, as long as the insulation holds. Tesla could probably have a 10 year warranty on the motors of they wanted to IMO.

yep, I've seen 3 phase motors running industrial machinery still going strong after 40 years.  New IC motors usually get around 200 clicks before they start to need knew accessories (alternator/starter that sort of thing) and if they have been serviced properly they usually get up to 400 clicks before a major failure (head gasket, worn rings or valve stem seals). 

yep, I've seen 3 phase motors running industrial machinery still going strong after 40 years. New IC motors usually get around 200 clicks before they start to need knew accessories (alternator/starter that sort of thing) and if they have been serviced properly they usually get up to 400 clicks before a major failure (head gasket, worn rings or valve stem seals).

Actually, it's not that long ago we(family company) used an old Yugoslav made lathe from 1950 for some light metal working... :)

Spoiler

Now that is a good idea.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Have you seen this demo from Tesla?

They are already working on the swappable batteries and seem to be doing a good job with the speed of the swap.

Have you seen this demo from Tesla?

They are already working on the swappable batteries and seem to be doing a good job with the speed of the swap.

A couple of companies have been trying to get this of the ground for a while now,  one went belly up while the others are still in R+D and carrying out feasibility studies on setting up stations.  It's one of those new industries that requires a lot of capital to get up and running and no previous examples to base predictions on, making it hard to convince investors to invest.  I think if any company has the ability it will be tesla, but it really will need the support of government to do it,  while the oil companies own the government I think this will be hard.

I hadn't seen that video yet, but I did see the working schematics for another battery swap project a fews years back.

The Model S fits my 50km route a day routine quite well. Even on the days I'm pushing 200km (usually Saturdays), I'm still not going to be suffering range anxiety.

Now, when a trip to Jasper comes up? Time to start some smart driving. 

We're being held back by batteries, and I hope Tesla cracks the formula to get better batteries. 

My fathers Toyota pickup from 1994 has racked up over 300K+ miles on the original engine and transmission. The only major service he had done was replacing the clutch at 250k. 

Personally, I do think electric is the way of the future. There are less losses in energy conversion than straight up internal combustion engines. Assuming electricity is reasonably cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't switch to electric, unless your city/county still uses coal driven power plants. 

The generation of electricity is very important in beating out energy losses from conversion. Coal driven power plants are less efficient than internal combustion engines, I wouldn't buy an electric vehicle if that was the case. Here in southern California the LADWP (Los Angeles District Water and Power) still uses coal driven plants for about 65% of electric generation. Thankfully I don't live in Los Angeles, and my county uses a combination of renewable (solar thermal, photovoltaic, wind), nuclear, and finally Natural Gas turbine driven power generation, less than 15% comes from coal driven plants. 

So depending on where the power is being created, should influence people's decisions on buying EV or IC (in my opinion).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Well yeah, the engine in a Tesla literally has one moving part. This part isn't in extreme stress or extreme temperatures. There are probably 10 times less parts in the tesla drive line than a normal combustion engine

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Well yeah, the engine in a Tesla literally has one moving part. This part isn't in extreme stress or extreme temperatures. There are probably 10 times less parts in the tesla drive line than a normal combustion engine

Extremely true. I'm just annoyed that no one else will do that. Apparently no one else has confidence in their engines.

and please take into account that most warrantys don't take into account the whole car but only those parts that are mostly stationary. tesla is therefore a much compelling choice to buy for more and more

Still doesn't beat the 10 year bumper to bumper and lifetime warranty (on the drivertrain) on my ralliart :)