Rampage IV Black Edition rubbish

Pkekyo

/EDIT: Apologies for occupying the first four posts of the thread, but trying to post it all in one post resulted in a "500 Internal Server Error", and I was given the suggestion in the bug report thread of splitting it into individual posts.

Right.

I've been building a new rig as of late (buildlog can be found here - my ranting begins on page 4), and ever since I got it put together earlier this week, I've been running into a metric fuckton of roadblocks, whoopsies and dingdongs. I'm posting a thread here, since I figured the people oogling buildlogs might not be the same people that are wading to their knees in troubleshooting all day.

First of all, the specs:

- Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
- Intel i7 4930K
- Kingston HyperX Beast, 2400MHz 64GB
- EVGA GTX 780Ti Hydro Copper Classified
- Custom liquid cooling loop (dual 480mm radiators)

What initially happened after putting it together and booting up:

- I was completely unable to install Windows (7 Ultimate X64), until I reduced the memory clock speed to 1600MHz
- Then I attempted small incremental overclocks, using both the "CPU Level Up" and "X.M.P." UEFI functions. This in turn led to a seemingly infinate loop of failed attempts to boot, further resulting in a perplexing number of different "Q-codes" at the point of failure. "34", "AA", "60", "66", "6F" and "43" were some of them. The only way I found to resolve this infinite loop, was by using the "MemOK" button.
- Once Windows and drivers were installed, the RAID array (Intel RAID on the motherboard's SATA 6G ports) suddenly, and inexplicably shat the bed and died. The Intel RAID splash-screen during post listed both the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs as "Not Recognized", and the drives were no longer listed anywhere in the UEFI. Deleted the RAID array, built a new one and reinstalled Windows.
- UEFI is reporting that my RAM sticks are in fact 1333MHz DIMMs overclocked to 2400MHz. No idea if this is an error, or if it's an eccentricity of the Kingston RAM.

Too much is never enough.

Had another go at modifying the clockspeeds of the CPU and RAM - a repeat performance for the asinine loop of failures to boot.
- Got it to boot again, "MemOK" reduced the "Target DRAM Speed" to 1333MHz, whereas the "DIMM Post" section had them listed as running at 1066MHz.

These are all the settings under the "Extreme Tweaking" tab in the UEFI that were not set to [Auto]:

All Core Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 4500MHz
Target DRAM Speed: 1333MHz

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Level Up: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 125.000
CPU Strap: 125MHz
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333MHz
CPU VCORE Voltage: 1.104V [Manual Mode]
CPU VCORE Manual Voltage: Auto

VTT CPU Voltage: 1.050V
2nd VTT CPU Voltage: 1.050V
CPU VCCSA Voltage: 0.956V [Manual Mode]
CPU VCSSA Manual Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage (CHA, CHB): 1.560V
DRAM Voltage (CHC, CHD): 1.560V
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.800V
PCH 1.1v Voltage: 1.100V

At this point @andyysplash brought to my attention that unlike the retailer where I bought the motherboard, Asus' spec-sheet had every memory frequency above 1600MHz listed with an (O.C.) suffix. This is where I tried finding a way to trick my motherboard into believing that my DIMMs were overclocked 1600MHz sticks. I have as of writing this, not found a way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got some more troubleshooting done last night:

- Flashed it with the most recent stable UEFI version for this board (0701 x64)

- It appears that under UEFI --> Tool --> ASUS DRAM SPD Information, DIMM_C1, DIMM_C2, DIMM_D1 and DIMM_D2 are being reported as "Abnormal". Pulled the RAM sticks from the C- and D-DIMM slots, and put them in the A- and B-DIMM slots. No errors reported. After shifting around all the DIMMs in various combinations, only the aforementioned DIMM slots reported the "Abnormal" status, regardless of which of the eight sticks were in them.
- Also,the front-USB3 connectors have stopped working. They do deliver power for charging, but the computer does not react when I plug any USB devices like thumbdrives, eHDDs and card readers into either port. Tested with the front USB3 setup from my other rig, which I know to be functional - same result (or rather, lack of a result).

At this point, I began leaning towards the Motherboard being bricked before I even bought it.

- Last thing I did last night, was grabbing one of the Storage drives out of my current rig, and put it into the motherboard - the drive is detected in UEFI and Windows' Device Manager, but I cannot get it to show up as allocated space with data on it (which it does have). I might be doing something wrong, but the people I've spoken to says it should be possible to move the drive with data on it between two rigs. My Google-fu has failed me, the only search results I get are about bringing a full Windows installation over to a new computer, whereas I only intend to move over storage drives.

- Furthermore, the computer has frozen upon using the "Shut Down" function from the Windows start menu - it has been in this state for the better part of four hours now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I've grabbed some screenshots from the UEFI. They are in their default .bmp format, so I will insert links rather than embedding them in the post:

"ASUS DRAM SPD Information" - SS1 (I have removed four of the DIMMs, the ones currently not populated slots all report the status "Abnormal" with DIMMs in them)

This is basicly where it sits as of now. I would greatly appreciate any and all help in the matter.

I'd call that an Imperial Fuckton of problems. (which I think is heavier than metric, could be wrong lol).

Why does it seem like lga 2011 boards have an assload of problems, despite being more powerful?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Have you tried using a different board?

Also why would you use raid? Raid is just stupid...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd call that an Imperial Fuckton of problems. (which I think is heavier than metric, could be wrong lol).

Well, it might be, but who the hell can tell?

united-states-vs-the-rest-of-the-world.j

Have you tried using a different board?

Also why would you use raid? Raid is just stupid...

No, I only bought the one motherboard for my new computer.

RAID0 because... "I've got the need. The need for speed."

You should try a different motherboard to see if the problems is really the board, or just the other components.

Also raid sucks. If you need more speed wait until sata express or buy a PCIe SSD

Raid just causes too many problems. It's also slower to boot from it because the raid controller needs to be initialized before you can boot the OS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, it might be, but who the hell can tell?

-snip

Place a metric ton on a balance scale, and an imperial ton on the other end, whichever is heavier is what OP has.

Raid isn't "stupid". Let's try to be constructive...

LE'GASP. He's turning up in the oddest of places today. #RandomLinusIsRandom

You should try a different motherboard to see if the problems is really the board, or just the other components.

Also raid sucks. If you need more speed wait until sata express or buy a PCIe SSD

Raid just causes too many problems. It's also slower to boot from it because the raid controller needs to be initialized before you can boot the OS.

I am a complete noob here and I agree, I'd try booting the simplest way possible first.

That doesn't as much fall under "Troubleshooting" as "Buying your way around potential problems."

This full well might end up in me getting another brand new motherboard, but I'm not going to go for that as my first course of action.

I do appreciate the attempt to help me, don't get me wrong - but "Buy all new stuff instead of all the new stuff you just bought" is the absolutely last thing I will be doing, and only when all other options have been exhausted.

That doesn't as much fall under "Troubleshooting" as "Buying your way around potential problems."

This full well might end up in me getting another brand new motherboard, but I'm not going to go for that as my first course of action.

I do appreciate the attempt to help me, don't get me wrong - but "Buy all new stuff instead of all the new stuff you just bought" is the absolutely last thing I will be doing, and only when all other options have been exhausted.

I didn't say to buy new stuff...

Just ask a friend to lend you a x79 motherboard if he has one so you can test with it and find exactly where the problem is.

And the 'not using raid' was just a suggestion...

You could have bought a PCIe SSD instead of two SSDs and raiding them. Maybe in the future you want that speed without all the problems of raid and you can get a sata express drive. But for now the easiest solution is to stop using raid until you get your motherboard issues sorted out.

Spoiler

Issues like you're having, are why I'm glad the average customer I have for repairs, are friggin' soccer moms. You've got so many things going on at once, I'd have no idea where to start. Sounds to me like it's your board though really not liking any form of OC. I didn't see a mention of it, and I could just be blind... but have you tried to see if you can get anything to work at stock yet? If  so, I think you just got the worst OC board ever, and you should RMA the poop out of it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Your average soccer moms certainly aren't as close to having a heart attack induced by pure, seething rage as I am.

It does boot with stock CPU speeds and the RAM at 1600, but it still reports an "Abnormal" status on four of the DIMM slots, freezes indefinitely when using "Shut Down" from the Win7 start menu, USB front panel still doesn't work, and I still haven't been able to get access to the data on my storage drive.

Overclocking is certainly a part of it, but does not account for the entire equation here.

Yeah, RMA the board. Just, not worth the stress of trying anything else really.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

I didn't say to buy new stuff...

Just ask a friend to lend you a x79 motherboard if he has one so you can test with it and find exactly where the problem is.

I guess I kinda take it for granted that it is obvious I don't have much in the way of friends - and certainly not the kind that would own an x79 motherboard.

Looks likely that I will be contacting the retailer to RMA it next week.

This sounds like a motherboard issue, but it could also be a RAM issue. Have you tried taking out all your RAM and running MemTest86+ on each DIMM, and in different slots?

I recently did a build with the same motherboard, CPU, and graphics card combo (my GPUs were EVGA reference though) the only difference was I used Dominator Platinums @ 2133MHz but my motherboard found it straight away. I just set the XMP profile on the RAM, verified that the voltage was set correctly, rebooted and it was golden. 

Also, for what it's worth, I would not do any overclocking until you have everything stabilized and KNOW it works properly at stock speeds. 

A  quick update before I go to bed:

Ran Memtest86, got these results:

PassMark MemTest86 V5.1.0 Free   Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40GHz

Clk/Temp: 3410 MHz / 0C                | Pass 81% ###########################
L1 Cache: 64K 63247 MB/s             | Test 96% ##################################
L2 Cache: 256K44659 MB/s           | Test 9 (Modulo 20, ones & zeros)
L3 Cache: 12288K 25333 MB/s      | Testing: 0x100000000 - 0x8200000000
Memory: 33007M 15444 MB/s        | Pattern: 0xCD02248B
RAM Info: PC3-19200 DDR3 XMP 1200MHz / 11-13-13-32 / Kingston KHX2400C11D3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: 0123456789AB                                       | CPUs Found: 12
State: -WWWWWWWWWWW                         | CPUs Started: 12   CPUs Active: 1
Time: 1:32:35      AdrsMode:64Bit    Pass: 1 of 4    Errors: 0

^ The above is where the MemTest run froze, after I accidentally started using the wrong keyboard (have three identical ones in front of me).

Nope. Apparently, this is the last update:

After the MemTest went kablooey, I now get the Q-Code "00", as well as the red "CPU" LED by the 24-pin socket just sitting there...glowing...taunting me...

What's the wattage on your PSU?

it's a Corsair AX1200i

try swapping the PSU as well

that PSU is known to fail without warning

there is one user with the exact board and PSU and his system crash with either RAID problems or Kernel Power problems 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Raid isn't "stupid". Let's try to be constructive...

Thanks Linus :P