Rampage IV Black Edition rubbish

Pkekyo

Oh and I'll tale a look at this when I get back to my PC and its seems like a fun slew of problems.

Right, so far people have suggested the following are to blame:
- Motherboard
- CPU

- Old BIOS
- New BIOS

- RAM
- GPU

- Power Supply
- Cooling Block
- SSDs
- RAID

Well, at least we have a solid consensus here...At least that's something :P

I do have a 300w no-name power supply from a computer case I bought for my brother fifteen years ago.
I guess I can try that later today, but I suspect it would do more damage than good at this point.

Too much is never enough.

Right, so far people have suggested the following are to blame:

- Motherboard

- CPU

- Old BIOS

- New BIOS

- RAM

- GPU

- Power Supply

- Cooling Block

- SSDs

- RAID

Well, at least we have a solid consensus here...At least that's something :P

I do have a 300w no-name power supply from a computer case I bought for my brother fifteen years ago.

I guess I can try that later today, but I suspect it would do more damage than good at this point.

if you have another PC

try the

RAM
GPU
Power Supply
Cooling Block
SSDs
RAID

on the other PC

so that we can narrow down the faults that are not mobo or cpu related

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd call that an Imperial Fuckton of problems. (which I think is heavier than metric, could be wrong lol).

Why does it seem like lga 2011 boards have an assload of problems, despite being more powerful?

There are problems with all PC parts.  I had LGA 2011 for over a year and never had a single problem with it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's not the cooling block or the SSDs, that's guarandamnteed. If it's the RAID controller, then that's another motherboard issue.

I will however see what I can do to test the GPU and RAM in a different computer, and will also see if I can get a new PSU to test with.

/EDIT:

The new rig has been dormant for fifteen hours or so now, and I attempted to turn it on again.
It did cycle trough the Q-codes, before it halted at the code 5A, restarted itself and then came up with Q-code 00, where it now is frozen.

Here is a list of the Q-codes I remember getting stuck at, and what they mean:

34 - CPU post-memory initialization

AA - "Reserved for ASL

60 - DXE Core is started

66 - CPU DXE initialization is started

6F - System Agent DXE initialization

00 - Not used

There are probably more, I just didn't think to start writing them down at first.

I am currently writing this on a computer that is using the four RAM sticks the R4BE first reported as "Abnormal", all four of them running at 2400MHz without any issue.
I also exclude improper seating as an issue, seeing as I can't possibly keep improperly seating RAM in those four slots, with the amount of times I have jumbled around the RAM sticks to see if it would change the "Abnormal" reporting (it didn't) - There may full well be a problem with seating, but if that is the case, it could only be due to an error in the manufacturing process of the motherboard when the RAM slots were added.

The DIMMs are indeed from separate kits - but I find it unlikely to be the case, considering that mixing the kits in another computer does not cause any issues. (The memory kit isn't on the QVL for either motherboard.)
I also tried putting the RAM from this computer into the new rig, and it did not yield results.

In other words, I'm damn near certain this has nothing to do with the RAM sticks themselves.

That leaves the following potential culprits:
- GPU: Highly unlikely, but I will try to test the new rig with a different GPU, and if I can manage, the new GPU on a different motherboard as well
- CPU: Considering the latest errors I'm getting, it might be the CPU that's borked as well. Have no way to test it separately from the motherboard.
- Motherboard: Most likely culprit, it is the common denominator for all the issues I've been having. Might also be a combination of both a faulty CPU and a faulty motherboard.
- PSU: Again, considering this very unlikely, but I will try to find another PSU to test with, though there is no guarantee I will be able to.

I am currently writing this on a computer that is using the four RAM sticks the R4BE first reported as "Abnormal", all four of them running at 2400MHz without any issue.

I also exclude improper seating as an issue, seeing as I can't possibly keep improperly seating RAM in those four slots, with the amount of times I have jumbled around the RAM sticks to see if it would change the "Abnormal" reporting (it didn't) - There may full well be a problem with seating, but if that is the case, it could only be due to an error in the manufacturing process of the motherboard when the RAM slots were added.

The DIMMs are indeed from separate kits - but I find it unlikely to be the case, considering that mixing the kits in another computer does not cause any issues. (The memory kit isn't on the QVL for either motherboard.)

I also tried putting the RAM from this computer into the new rig, and it did not yield results.

In other words, I'm damn near certain this has nothing to do with the RAM sticks themselves.

That leaves the following potential culprits:

- GPU: Highly unlikely, but I will try to test the new rig with a different GPU, and if I can manage, the new GPU on a different motherboard as well

- CPU: Considering the latest errors I'm getting, it might be the CPU that's borked as well. Have no way to test it separately from the motherboard.

- Motherboard: Most likely culprit, it is the common denominator for all the issues I've been having. Might also be a combination of both a faulty CPU and a faulty motherboard.

- PSU: Again, considering this very unlikely, but I will try to find another PSU to test with, though there is no guarantee I will be able to.

Qcodes for CPU are spat out from mobo, could be a borked socket on it. RAM is obvious, again, it's the mobo, since it seems like an entire bank isn't functioning properly. Basically, I'm almost 100% sure it's your mobo, and thus, RMA time.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Yup, I'm fairly certain as well. If noone else comes along with advice that helps me over the weekend, I'm contacting the retailer on Monday.

Raid isn't "stupid". Let's try to be constructive...

It is pretty silly when you've enough drives which total the amount of fingers you have. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well, that does depend on what kind of drives you have - if you're running ten 4TB mechanical drives as a JBOD, you're pretty much a pillock.
Also, we all know Linus got his SSDs at a steal ;)

Right.

I just did a BIOS flashback on both UEFIs, as a last ditch effort - no change.

I hereby declare this hunk of silicate bullshit officially bricked!

• 1 month later...

Almost everytime I've seen threads with code 00 "Debug code of doom" it's been the UEFI/Board.

EDIT: Doesn't the R4E have Dual BIOS? Can you try the second?

Neither UEFI was affected, the board was bricked - RMAed it weeks ago and got notified that they will be refunding me for both the CPU and motherboard last night.

• 4 months later...

/EDIT: Apologies for occupying the first four posts of the thread, but trying to post it all in one post resulted in a "500 Internal Server Error", and I was given the suggestion in the bug report thread of splitting it into individual posts.

Right.

I've been building a new rig as of late (buildlog can be found here - my ranting begins on page 4), and ever since I got it put together earlier this week, I've been running into a metric fuckton of roadblocks, whoopsies and dingdongs. I'm posting a thread here, since I figured the people oogling buildlogs might not be the same people that are wading to their knees in troubleshooting all day.

First of all, the specs:

- Asus Rampage IV Black Edition

- Intel i7 4930K

- Kingston HyperX Beast, 2400MHz 64GB

- EVGA GTX 780Ti Hydro Copper Classified

- Custom liquid cooling loop (dual 480mm radiators)

What initially happened after putting it together and booting up:

- I was completely unable to install Windows (7 Ultimate X64), until I reduced the memory clock speed to 1600MHz

- Then I attempted small incremental overclocks, using both the "CPU Level Up" and "X.M.P." UEFI functions. This in turn led to a seemingly infinate loop of failed attempts to boot, further resulting in a perplexing number of different "Q-codes" at the point of failure. "34", "AA", "60", "66", "6F" and "43" were some of them. The only way I found to resolve this infinite loop, was by using the "MemOK" button.

- Once Windows and drivers were installed, the RAID array (Intel RAID on the motherboard's SATA 6G ports) suddenly, and inexplicably shat the bed and died. The Intel RAID splash-screen during post listed both the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs as "Not Recognized", and the drives were no longer listed anywhere in the UEFI. Deleted the RAID array, built a new one and reinstalled Windows.

- UEFI is reporting that my RAM sticks are in fact 1333MHz DIMMs overclocked to 2400MHz. No idea if this is an error, or if it's an eccentricity of the Kingston RAM.

I have the same spec asus rampage extreme iv black edition i7 4930k but the 32gb kingston kit and a corsair ax1200i all bought brand new, the problem I am having is to get the ram work at 2400 or 2133 when in bios it shows at 1600 and I tried OC my cpu and set the ram to 2400, 2133, and even 1866 each time and when I try boot I get an error code 01 and it doesnt boot, on reset bios I get error message OC failed ect so I go to setup and so far not been able to figure out if my brand new gear is faulty or not, my ram settings in cpu-z show 800mhz ect and at this point I do not know what to ask, what place to look or what to do, any help would be highly appreciated and I am a noob at this so hopefully I can learn something from this, many thanks in advance