[Beware WCCF] I7 5960X delidded

ViruZ_HUN

Hi!

SO 5960x IS DELIDDABLE?, WAHH (waste)

Okay I know this is WCCF But the picture looks kinda real if you ask me, I don't think (yet) that it is a photoshopped thing.

Source: 

original source: http://www.ocdrift.com/intel-core-i7-5960x-de-lidded-haswell-e-uses-soldered-thermal-interface-material-tim/

http://wccftech.com/intels-flagship-haswelle-core-i7-5960x-processor-delidded-features-soldered-thermal-interface-material/

Quoted informatica:

Intel is releasing their HEDT Haswell-E processors in the coming months which includes the flagship Core i7-5960X CPU. Since the processors are built for the high-end desktop market, their target audience would be overclocking fanatics and enthusiasts. My friend, Kevin Owi at OCDrift has revealed an interesting feature regarding the new processors which will help overclockers in setting the fastest frequency records.

Intel-Haswell-E-Core-i7-5960X-De-lid-635

Intel’s Flagship Haswell-E Core i7-5960X Processor De-Lidded – Uses Soldered TIM

Kevin was able to get hold of an Intel Core i7-5960X processor which will be the flagship part of the Haswell-E lineup and de-lidded it to reveal that it makes use of soldered thermal interface material instead of inferior thermal paste material which was featured on Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors which is blamed as one of the reasons for the high temperatures we got to see on those processors aside from the fully integrated voltage regulator (FVIR) which is being phased out after Broadwell generation of processors.

The Core 4000 series processors based on the Haswell microarchitecture were launched a year ago at Computex 2013. The processors featured the latest 22nm core 3D Tri-gate transistors technology which improved the IPC and efficiency by a decent amount of Ivy Bridge. While the Haswell processors were met with a great response and backed by a variety of overclocking features, the processors didn’t happen to be great at overclocking due to the cheaper application of TIM between the IHS (Internal HeatSpreader) and the Haswell silicon itself which resulted in the heat to remain trapped between the chip due to poor contact.

Intel partially fixed this issue with the launch of their K-Series Haswell processors a year later, codenamed Devil’s Canyon which offer users an improved design that incorporates updated packaging materials, improved TIM (Thermal Interface) and processors that are specifically re-engineered for enhanced performance and overclocking. To be specific, Intel used a Next Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material (NGPTIM) inside their Devil’s Canyon processors offering better heat dissipation to allow overclocking. However, even that TIM solution wasn’t enough to cool the devil as there was still not enough contact between the die and heatspreader as can be achieved with a soldered design.

The Haswell-E line of processors are built on the same 22nm Haswell microarchitecture but they are geared for the high-end and sever audience and with huge price tags, there remains no reason for Intel to skim down on a feature which the market would be most concerned about. Haswell-E may be geared towards high-end desktop PCs but it is also a platform which several people buy for server and workstation needs considering they are cheaper than their Xeon based counterparts. This demands stability and proper thermal specifications which can only be achieved by properly dissipating the heat between the large die on the HEDT processors. Soldered TIM is the way to go, hence this is a great news for overclockers and enthusiasts alike. Aside from the TIM news, this is also the first time we are looking at a De-lidded Haswell-E processor featuring 8 Cores, 16 threads, 20 MB L3 cache, 3.0 / 3.3 GHz clock frequencies, 140W TDP and a $999 US price tag. The entire specifications of the Haswell-E lineup are listed below:

Intel Core i7-5960X Processor

The Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition would be the flagship processor of the lineup boasting 8 Cores and 16 threads. This would be Intel’s first 8 Core consumer processor and would be clocked at 3.0 GHz base and 3.3 GHz boost frequency. The processor would feature 20 MB of L3 cache, 140W TDP and support for DDR4-2133 MHz memory. Being the flagship processor of the Haswell-E lineup, the Core i7-5960X would end up with a price of $999 US. While there have been rumors that the pricing would behigher than previous generations, Im almost certain that Intel will keep their pricing structure of the HEDT lineup same as previous generation Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E processors.

Intel Core i7-5930K Processor

The Core i7-5930K would be the second best processor of the flock featuring 6 cores and 12 threads. Featuring a clock speed of 3.5 GHz base and around 3.9 – 4.0 GHz boost, the Core i7-5930K would integrate 15 MB L3 Cache and a TDP of 140W. The processor would be able to support DDR4-2133 MHz memory. From specifications, the Core i7-5930K looks a lot like the current generation Core i7-4960X processor however we are looking at better IPC due to the improved Haswell microarchitecture. Pricing is suggested close to the $550 US range.

Intel Core i7-5820K Processor

The Core i7-5820K would be the entry level processor of the lineup featuring 6 cores and 12 threads. The CPU comes with a 15 MB L3 Cache, 3.3 GHz base clock, 3.6-3.8 GHz boost clock, 140W TDP and support for DDR4-2133 MHz memory. Being similar to the Core i7-5930K in terms of technical specifications aside from the clock speeds, the Core i7-5820K might just become an attractive processor for the X99 chipset platform since it will be priced around a lower range of $300 – $350 US.

Intel-X99-Wellsburg-Chipset-635x426.jpg

Ofcourse, the platform would require a new platform control hub or PCH. Intel is preparing their latest Wellsburg-X chipset that would power the next generation HEDT platform featuring 14 USB ports (6 USB 3.0 and 8 USB 2.0), 10 SATA 6GBps ports, integrated clock support, 8×1 PCIe 2.0, Clarksville GbE PHY and the Realtek Audio Codec.The chip has a max TDP of 6.5W and measures 23x22mm which is larger than the X79 chipset.

First Desktop Platform To Feature DDR4 Memory Support

Coming to the memory controller, yes, Intel’s Haswell-E is officially the first HEDT platform to feature support for DDR4 memory. The DDR4 memory controller lies on the processor itself through which it is directly connected. The new DDR4 memory modules consume only 1.2 V of power compared to 1.65/1.5V standard with DDR3. The can feature upto 16 banks of memory and require a 288-Pin DIMM connectors which would be available on the new X99 chipset motherboards. The DDR4 memory controller offers Quad channel memory support. DDR4 would offer faster clock speeds and the Haswell-E platform supports frequencies o 2133 MHz, 2667 MHz O.C +.

LGA 2011-3 Socket Supports Haswell-E Processors

Intel is also preparing the latest LGA2011-3 socket which has similar dimensions but a different ILM key pattern which allows only for Haswell-E processor compatibility. Intel adds compatibility for both their Channel DRX-B Liquid cooler and T-HPHS air cooler with the LGA 2011-3 socket for Haswell-E processors.

Better Overclocking Support For Overclockers

Just like Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E before it, Haswell-E would retain the great overclocking features that would ship with the “K” series and “Extreme Edition” processors. Both the memory and processor can be overclocked beyond limits with unlocked turbo limits, unlocked core ratios in 80/100 increments, programmable iVR voltage, support for XMP mode, unlocked memory controller and voltage limits, native support for memory upto 2667 MHz, Unlocked PCH and PLL voltage controls and more. A single Haswell-E processor would feature 2 x16 and 3 x8 Gen 3 PCI-e support with 40 lanes and would be directly connected to the DDR4 memory controller and the Wellsburg X99 chipset. The feature set would remain the with technologies such as SSE4, AVX, VT, AESNI under its belt.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intels-flagship-haswelle-core-i7-5960x-processor-delidded-features-soldered-thermal-interface-material/#ixzz38fRGNfxZ

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Added poll.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

All CPU's are able to be delidded though soldered CPU like Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E and eventually Haswell-E would destroy the die if they removed the heat spreader. That chip looks far too clean and un-damaged.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

All CPU's are able to be delidded though soldered CPU like Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E and eventually Haswell-E would destroy the die if they removed the heat spreader. That chip looks far too clean and un-damaged.

Going from what most processors look like delidded with just a silver die in the middle, this looks like it's been torn in two, as you can actually see the processor structure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Is it me or does the die look like it's been ripped of and stuck to the thermal thing? xD

I was thinking that too.lol

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

De-lids to see if Intel used inferior thermal paste.
Breaks die in half
Solder confirmed.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

De-lids to see if Intel used inferior thermal paste.

Breaks die in half

Solder confirmed.

They probably got the CPU for free. 1000$ is not what you can get every day:D

81e0af215ea87afb53613a295d79329f.png

So we meet again>-<

>WCCF

>still claim 5820k will be 300 when intel confirmed 450...

the die does look rather big, will now examine to see if its indeed 8cores. but it could still be a xeon...

EDIT

A QUICK look at the die reveals 12 units, that are actual cores, and cache in between them, exactly like some xeons look

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

@LinusTech   Wanna see?

So we meet again>-<

This is the new meme of WCCF tech, expect it to be in every WCCF tech thread I see on this forum from now on. :P

>WCCF

>still claim 5820k will be 300 when intel confirmed 450...

the die does look rather big, will now examine to see if its indeed 8cores. but it could still be a xeon...

Nope I think it is the I7 5960x because it looks just the same from above:

Intel-Haswell-E-8-Core-3-GHz.jpg

Intel-Haswell-E-Core-i7-5960X-De-lid.jpg

Nope I think it is the I7 5960x because it looks just the same from above:

you can see 12 cores. now unless they are reusing a xeon die, i call bullshit

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

you can see 12 cores. now unless they are reusing a xeon die, i call bullshit

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, Now I know that it is the cores:D

But why the hell knows, what it is..

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, Now I know that it is the cores:D

But why the hell knows, what it is..

it could still be an E5 dellided, iirc those go up to 12 cores, its definately not an E7, those are 5x3 dies.

its an e5 definately, so fake WCCF shit, since an e5 v2 is IVBEX

OverviewIVB3dies.png

The third and last one is the high performance HPC and server die, with 12 cores, two memory controllers for lower memory latency, and 30MB of L3 cache.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7285/intel-xeon-e5-2600-v2-12-core-ivy-bridge-ep

Yeah let us just rip a $1k processor in half...

it was way more than that...

http://ark.intel.com/products/75281/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2695-v2-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2 tray is $2336.00

A man already said above:

3930k is a 8 core but wth 2 cores disabled.

I7 5960x is "maybe" a 12 core but with 4 cores disabled.

This is how I see it

We are probablt getting a dowgraded Xeon which is unlocked to OC:D