Comcast admits its policies are responsible for customer harassment

Dietrichw

Source

EMolBoo.png

Comcast plans to reexamine the way it tries to keep subscribers from leaving its service, after a nightmarish call with one customer went viral last week and led to an outpouring of criticism. The recorded call included eight minutes of what Comcast calls a "Retention" agent attempting to argue a customer down from leaving, and Comcast now admits that much of this aggressive behavior was its own fault. "The agent on this call did a lot of what we trained him and paid him … to do," Dave Watson, Comcast's chief operating officer, writes in an internal letter that was published Monday morning, leaked to Consumerist, and verified by Ars Technica.

the agent's startling obstinacy was right in line with the ways in which Comcast motivates these employees — namely, having their pay rely on how many customers they lose and how many they keep from leaving. In its internal letter, Comcast doesn't say exactly what measures it will take to prevent situations like this in the future, and it certainly won't be wholly ending the "retention" practice — "He tried to save a customer, and that’s important," Watson writes.

wow that is really low comcast

They're a bit late, just a bit...

i'm a potato

DAMAGE CONTROL!

smells like bullshit

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

-snip-

wow that is really low comcast

no surprise here.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Comcast is fucking trash. The service is shit in Ocean City, which has a very large population during the summer.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Comcast is the greatest service ever, right up there with steam, I will not have them slandered by miscreants. OMG, I couldn't even type that behind my keyboard and monitor with a straight face. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

If Google created a colossal tv ad campaign comparing how much better their service is to other ISP's, and actually used prices, speed numbers, and inflated bill prices of other ISP's to educate America just how much the ISP's are screwing them then things would be different. A wake up call like that would be a slap in the face to them and they would be forced to upgrade infrastructure, and upgrade the lines of all their customers at no extra cost to the customer while dropping prices. Sadly because only tech-savvy people are aware of Google Fiber, there wasn't that backlash to the major ISP's from average consumers.

If Google created a colossal tv ad campaign comparing how much better their service is to other ISP's, and actually used prices, speed numbers, and inflated bill prices of other ISP's to educate America just how much the ISP's are screwing them then things would be different. A wake up call like that would be a slap in the face to them and they would be forced to upgrade infrastructure, and upgrade the lines of all their customers at no extra cost to the customer while dropping prices. Sadly because only tech-savvy people are aware of Google Fiber, there wasn't that backlash to the major ISP's from average consumers.

Things really wouldn't be any different, very few people find the current state of the ISP industry acceptable, but there's not much you can do about it. In a free market the best way to communicate your opinion as a consumer is with your money, and most people don't have other options from interenet service so it's either Comcast/TWC or nothing at all and for most people not having internet isn't a viable option anymore.

Well they'd better be serious about treating customer's as their num #1 priority, speak when spoken too, give advice & thoughtful suggestions and never overstep your welcome. It's a good thing the company is re-acknowledging that a large issue with customer base leaving is because of there poor quality cs.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

It's more likely the companies would sue Google for being correct, like AT&T suing Verizon when they compared cell phone coverage (Verizon had a whole lot more at the time)

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I told you this exactly, nice to see they won't just blame the outsources but acknowledge they breed this behavior themselves.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's more likely the companies would sue Google for being correct, like AT&T suing Verizon when they compared cell phone coverage (Verizon had a whole lot more at the time)

Yes, but if they had it up for just a week or a few days it would be enough to get out to the public, people would know about it, talk about it, and so on. Plus what would their case be? That they are insulting them by telling the truth and giving factual statistics? Where is the crime there?

Things really wouldn't be any different, very few people find the current state of the ISP industry acceptable, but there's not much you can do about it. In a free market the best way to communicate your opinion as a consumer is with your money, and most people don't have other options from interenet service so it's either Comcast/TWC or nothing at all and for most people not having internet isn't a viable option anymore.

Actually, people would find out and the would call their isp's and bitch to them about it. So yes, if comcast has most of its customers bitching at them to upgrade their infrastructure they would be forced to change. Plus you know, the google fiber ad should also show how much money comcast and verizon get in tax breaks and government grants. 

Actually, people would find out and the would call their isp's and bitch to them about it. So yes, if comcast has most of its customers bitching at them to upgrade their infrastructure they would be forced to change. Plus you know, the google fiber ad should also show how much money comcast and verizon get in tax breaks and government grants. 

Not really, they do have small monopolies on their designated areas of service so people often have no other high speed internet access option where they live.

-------

Current Rig

-------

business model should not be how do we keep what we have. it should be how can we better ourselves to get more people on board.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Most of the majors ISPs customers are already verbally unsatisfied with their service, it doesn't effect the ISPs income (because no one can take their money elsewhere) so why should they care?

Yes, but if they had it up for just a week or a few days it would be enough to get out to the public, people would know about it, talk about it, and so on. Plus what would their case be? That they are insulting them by telling the truth and giving factual statistics? Where is the crime there?

Their case would be slander, defamation, libel, or any number of vague reasons that multi billion dollar companies can come up with. They wouldn't really have any case, especially in a free market, but they'd try.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Their case would be slander, defamation, libel, or any number of vague reasons that multi billion dollar companies can come up with. They wouldn't really have any case, especially in a free market, but they'd try.

Lets hope they fail, or maybe it will be a fiasco like the netflix/verizon thing. Regardless, the general consumer needs to know how screwed they are getting, and considering verizon did this to att with their piss poor coverage att was forced to improve.