$240? I can get a 512 GB SSD and an enclosure for that much xD

*I know about how it is larger, but this is still absurd.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

A note about USB drives:

256 gigs? That's larger than the drive in this laptop... Wow.

Yeah i just realized it is bigger than my laptops ssd too!

Really looking forward to these and future models.

The ability to queue files and getting to and fro from single transactions in the filesystem to multi-transactions,..is what will be the wow factor against even really fast 'basic' USB-non-queueing models.

Will be grabbing these when the price is a little more friendly to replace my existing USB drives.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

$240? I can get a 512 GB SSD and an enclosure for that much xD

*I know about how it is larger, but this is still absurd.

240$ for a 512 gb ssd? Where do you live?!

Yea... unless you're an IT guy or something... not worth the money. A dollar per gig.

Yea... unless you're an IT guy or something... not worth the money. A dollar per gig.

I'm an IT guy... and this is not worth the money lol

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

I'm an IT guy... and this is not worth the money lol

Actually yea. Just buy this. 4 times less and 4 times more storage. Dunno why anyone would ever buy one of these things.

Hey linus did you do the speed tests with UASP activated? You didn't really talk about it in the video so I wasn't sure. Maybe you can talk about the technology in a tech quickie :D

I think an ssd on a dongle is much cooler than a super fast flash drive.

how does it compare to a hdd? would it be practical for running an os on compared to a hdd? probs a dumb question but might be interesting

^ SCRAP THAT i didnt look at the price before i posted...

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

Actually yea. Just buy this. 4 times less and 4 times more storage. Dunno why anyone would ever buy one of these things.

formfactor? thats all i can think of

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

It looks good, performs well, and its the first of its kind (maybe, at least big brand wise). People will buy it or they wouldnt have spent time making it. I would if I wanted to piss my money away. I think its awesome.

It is certainly a very niche product, maybe for mobile content creators, or people that need to get large files to clients very quickly and its much easier to carry a small usb drive

99% of people probably dont really care, I can see the use, but the expense is not justified for me, when a regular usb 3 stick is fast enough for every day file storage.

Anybody that needs super fast content transfer will probably have some crazy fast thunderbolt drive or something anyway, buts its nice that this is portable

That would have been an interesting comparison though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Definitely has it's purposes. I remember when Linus reviewed a portable SSD drive (I forget it's name) that him and the crew used for sharing Computex footage between editors. Something like this could have been an alternative. Very niche uses, but interesting product none-the-less.

As for the video itself, maybe I missed it, but in future reviews could you list what the generic products are? I know it's not really that important, but a small piece of text in the corner of the graph stating what the generic products are would give us the context on what it's really going up against. Was it the Adata and Kingston drives you shown in B-Roll?

Is it compatible with Windows to go?

Eh... The fact its bigger than the usb port form factor (blocking other ports), the crazy price, and the only slight improvements over USB3.... just not worth it.

Not to mention you can only get this performance on USB3 ports, and sadly they are not ubiquituous enough yet for me to jusitfy the purchase.

Ill stick with my 5 or 6 16gb Microcenter sticks, little slower, but more redundancy. And if i lose one im only out like 6 dollars.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Before we could even start the timer

Have you considered using the time command on a computer for timing things like that?