Xiaomi Launches 2 Routers - Wireless AC for only $21??

Henry

Popular Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi has been teasing a mysterious new product which looked suspiciously like an Apple Magic Trackpad, but today it was finally as a mini wireless router.

The Mi Router Mini comes in an array of colors and is available for only CNY129 ($21). Xiaomi touts it as being up to three times faster than traditional wireless routers, theoretically supporting a speed of up to 1167 Mbps. It is also a dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz router.

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2014/04/23/xiaomi-launches-two-routers-and-a-revamped-set-top-box-will-expand-to-10-more-countries-this-year/

Holy crap, $21 for a wireless AC router!? Hell yes Im buying it. Well, along with some wireless ac adapters for my computers.

Knowing Xiaomi, and how great their products are at never failing to meet expectations, it's probably going to be amazing. This is no "chinese knock off" company (I doubt Hugo Barra left Google for them if they were).

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

First one looks like the apple touchpad

9508-apple_trackpad.jpg

Xiaomi-Mini-Router.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

First one looks like the apple touchpad

9508-apple_trackpad.jpg

Xiaomi-Mini-Router.jpg

That's what I was thinking too....But hey, nothing wrong with that.

No thanks, I usually don't buy networking equipment from companies that don't have roots in networks because the software usually sucks and they're usually the ones susceptible to attacks plus the hardware usually isn't that good. ie: slow SoC or that the SoC has a built in 10/100 Lan that's connected to the Wlan so it says 300 Mbps but it's really only 100 Mbps.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

What would be a good AC adapter to compliment this? I haven't seen ANY on the market, but I guess I haven't been looking hard enough

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

What would be a good AC adapter to compliment this? I haven't seen ANY on the market, but I guess I haven't been looking hard enough

Theres TONS of pci or usb ac adapters around. Check newegg.

No thanks, I usually don't buy networking equipment from companies that don't have roots in networks because the software usually sucks and they're usually the ones susceptible to attacks plus the hardware usually isn't that good. ie: slow SoC or that the SoC has a built in 10/100 Lan that's connected to the Wlan so it says 300 Mbps but it's really only 100 Mbps.

Well we don't know what hardware its packing yet till it's released. Xiaomi makes kickass...everything. For all price ranges.

Xiaomi making...routers? Huh. Well, Xiaomi is a good quality Chinese brand, so I have faith that this router will be good. Man is it cheap though. Hopefully that won't be a downfall. 

COMIC SANS

Well we don't know what hardware its packing yet till it's released. Xiaomi makes kickass...everything. For all price ranges.

I would only consider buying if it supports openwrt at which point I'd put it in my backyard in a waterproof enclosure as an extender.

Xiaomi making...routers? Huh. Well, Xiaomi is a good quality Chinese brand, so I have faith that this router will be good. Man is it cheap though. Hopefully that won't be a downfall. 

Ikr, its cheap as hell. Makes you wonder why the other companies mark up AC routers so much..I mean cmon, there are $200 wireless AC routers out there.

maybe it's not for the enthusiast/tinker but for someone like my nan, sister, mum or dad this would be a great option to move them onto AC for very little money.

maybe it's not for the enthusiast/tinker but for someone like my nan, sister, mum or dad this would be a great option to move them onto AC for very little money.

But what's the point of AC if it can't do the rated speed or the software's crap so at which point a good dual band N 300 Mbps router with proper software, I'm not saying it's going to be bad but the possibility that you get what you pay for.

But what's the point of AC if it can't do the rated speed or the software's crap so at which point a good dual band N 300 Mbps router with proper software, I'm not saying it's going to be bad but the possibility that you get what you pay for.

Then again...Xiaomi has released the Hongmi, a $150(?) phone. 8MP camera, with a quad core 1.5ghz processor, 720p, and an IPS screen. not bad at all.

Can you get a proper dual band N 300mbps router with nice software for 21 bucks though? Hey even if the connection is not all that good and you have to powercycle the thing every 2 days and the speed is not as fast as other ACs, for 21 bucks I'd live with all that if I have a small apartment and no time critical needs (i.e. I enjoy gaming but never online, youtube and twitch are nice but not crucial I always keep offline videos, etc.) 

And by the way any other grindcore fans that can't help but giggle everytime wireles "A.C." gets mentioned?   :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

lol they copied apple's track pad

im rooting for these emerging Chinese companies but come on please dont copy stuff u will end up giving a bad name for your self

if u copy at least be smart about it ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Seriously ? Snip when you post mate.

@bob345 use a spoiler for an image so large please.

& It looks interesting, but i don't need one ^_^

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol they copied apple's track pad

im rooting for these emerging Chinese companies but come on please dont copy stuff u will end up giving a bad name for your self

if u copy at least be smart about it ......

They copied the design, but the product is a totally different thing. At least it looks good. Though it shouldve looked more like their set top boxes in the article IMO

Of course not........ It just looks like a Touch pad... Apple's Touchpad. Prepare for a lawsuit Xiaomi :D