Samsung S9 OR OnePlus 6T?

Have to buy a new phone to last me the next 4/5yrs but can't decide between these two. It's the OnePlus 6t 6GB RAM + 128GB Storage and the Samsung S9 its the 4GB RAM + 64GB storage but expansible. 
The headphone jack its usefull but the fingerprint under the screen its also very usefull.

Send help pls.

14 minutes ago, hamandcheese said:

Have to buy a new phone to last me the next 4/5yrs but can't decide between these two. It's the OnePlus 6t 6GB RAM + 128GB Storage and the Samsung S9 its the 4GB RAM + 64GB storage but expansible. 
The headphone jack its usefull but the fingerprint under the screen its also very usefull.

Send help pls.

Me personally, I would get the 6t buts that's because I don't need the headphone jack, literally everything I have is wireless. The 6t is cheaper by a lot (new) but the galaxy has the headphone jack, the 6t gets Android updates quicker than Samsung because of its closer to stock Android. The Galaxy has expandable storage but the 6t has more upfront storage.

It's really all up to you and what you want.

CPU: Intel I5-7500 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240

Motherboard: ASRock B250M PRO 4

Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper Elite

Gpu: Asus Dual 1060 3GB

Storage: Corsair 120GB M.2 NVME

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

1TB WD Blue

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+Bronze

Case: Phanteks P350X

Monitors: HP Omen 25in 144hz

and some 25in Acer

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headphones= VModa Crossfade Wireless(but used wired)

Speakers: Some janky speakers I jerry-rigged

I second the 6T. Why? Because I have the 3T and this is the first phone I have ever had that feels like I don't need to upgrade after 2 Years. Oxygen OS is nice and fairly close to stock from what I read. I've gotten new Android updates in a reasonable amount of time. I get security updates all the time. Very little bloadware on the device. 

My only gripe is the fast charging standard. You have to use their chargers for fast charging. But it does charge quickly. 

Oh and don't buy a case from OnePlus it's kinda cheap feeling. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

A few threads down, the same question, let me quote myself:

21 hours ago, Darkseth said:

S9+:

- SD Slot (care about what can be actually used there. Many apps can't use SD Card space, like Whatsapp)

- Qi Charging

- QHD Display

- more "Features", if you might say so.

- Headphone Jack.

- Notification LED

- Stereo Speakers

Oneplus 6t:

- Much better optimized software, leads to higher Performance

- Much better Battery Life

- Alert Slider, with a native Silent mode (does NOT use that idiotic "do not disturb" mode, Google made back in Android 5.0)

- MUCH faster Updates. And longer ones (Oneplus 3/3t from 2016 will get Android 9. Galaxy S7 from 2016 will NOT get Android 9).

- Much easier to root + custom Roms - better XDA community

On pure Specs, S9+ is better.

But what the Oneplus 6t has, is the Software experience. Clean, stock android with still good features added. Optimized for speed, efficiency, battery Life.

S9+ might tend to get "slower/laggy" after 1-2 years of usage, like many Samsungs so far did. My S7 Edge did the same.

In your case, it's the worse S9, instead S9+.

So you also have "only" 4gb Ram, which can be a bummer. it WILL hold less apps. Not just because 4gb is less than 6 or 8gb, but also because Samsung's "bigger" Experience-UI needs more space too.

Also, S9 is smaller than Oneplus 6t / S9+.

And, battery life of the 6t is even more better. Because S9+ lasts longer than S9, and OP 6t beats both by a significant amount.

Also: What i like about the 6t fingerprint sensor is not mainly, that it's under the Display (it's much better than my old S7 Edge one. S8 and S9 might have gotten better, but yea), but the Fact that it's on the Front.

Front > Rear anytime. My Phone sits often on the Table, so i can unlock it much easier this way.

Storage: SD Card can NOT Replace internal Storage, period.

Too many Apps can not handle SD Cards very well, the main problem would however occur when you have only 32, or even 16gb.

Whatsapp for example can not handle a SD Card at all. It only uses internal storage, when this is full, you can have a 500gb SD Card, you won't be able to even update apps.

And most Apps cant be moved to SD Card. The Option is there, but what is moved are just a few Cached data, not the App itself. I have tested it with a bigger sized app, and checked the exact used space + free space on internal storage + sd storage.

However: It should not be much of a Problem, since it's mostly Data like Photos, Videos, Music that consumes alot of space. That can be stored on SD Card. Samsung's Camera can use the SD Card as a standard.

Spotify can also save downloaded stuff on SD Card. Netflix i don't know for sure.

Short: If you want to use it for 4-5 years: Oneplus 6t, easy.

Better Battery life, which will be even more helpull in 3-4 years, when battery life degrades.

On my 2.5 year old S7 Edge i couldn't mostly beat 3-4 hours SoT, when i had 6-7 hours when it launched.

Samsung Smartphones tend to get laggy over time, so did my S7 Edge. Even fafctory reset, or even a new Firmware Flash with Odin could not remove that problem. It got better, these "Lag times" came more rarely, but within a few weeks, same. I expect the S9 to do the same. That will be a bummer in 2+ years. Especially 4-5 years.

Oneplus also will probably provide 1 more major update.

2016 S7 Lineup will NOT get Android 9 Pie anymore.

2016 Oneplus 3/3t will get Android 9, it's confirmed already.

Oneplus also delivers updates earlier. S9 will get Android 9 Pie not before January/February. Oneplus 6 got it since over 2 Months.

Last Year, Oneplus 3/3t got Oreo Update end of November. Same Year's Galaxy S7/S7 Edge got it May 2018, the next year. It came 6 months later than Oneplus delivered.

And at last: Oneplus Devices are easy to Root + Flash for custom Roms, and the Custom Rom community on XDA is much much better. After Updates stop, you are more likely to get latest OS updates.

4 hours ago, hamandcheese said:

Send help pls.

I'd get the OnePlus 6 in Black Friday sales. It is the OnePlus 6T but with a headphone jack, it's cheaper, the fingerprint sensor is on the rear so you don't lose grip of the phone when trying to scan it and the notch looks nicer IMO (you can always hide it in software anyway). It even has Android P.

If you want a phone that will continue to work in 4 or 5 years time don't get either. Both will have been out of support for a long time plus in 4 or 5 years neither will work correctly anymore (mainly battery life, but that means performance issues as well). Better to just get a phone for half the price then replace it in 2 to 3 years instead.

I agree with @FlappyBoobs, you shouldn't aim to have a device that lasts that long; simply, it's not a smart decision. It won't get software support for that long, so you won't be as "secure"; I'd aim to replace devices at most every three years. Plus, on top of the update issue, you'll get more selling your old device if you sell it sooner, thus resulting in a lower over all cost for your next device.

Personally I'd go with the Samsung. I love Samsung's skin though, so I'm probably a little bias. OnePlus's isn't bad, but I'm not super fond of them as a company. The fact they got rid of the notification light is also a huge downside for me, and one of the main reasons I didn't consider the 6T.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, Donut417 said:

Oh and don't buy a case from OnePlus it's kinda cheap feeling. 

That's good to know!

On 11/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Darkseth said:

A few threads down, the same question, let me quote myself:

In your case, it's the worse S9, instead S9+.

So you also have "only" 4gb Ram, which can be a bummer. it WILL hold less apps. Not just because 4gb is less than 6 or 8gb, but also because Samsung's "bigger" Experience-UI needs more space too.

Also, S9 is smaller than Oneplus 6t / S9+.

And, battery life of the 6t is even more better. Because S9+ lasts longer than S9, and OP 6t beats both by a significant amount.

Also: What i like about the 6t fingerprint sensor is not mainly, that it's under the Display (it's much better than my old S7 Edge one. S8 and S9 might have gotten better, but yea), but the Fact that it's on the Front.

Front > Rear anytime. My Phone sits often on the Table, so i can unlock it much easier this way.

Storage: SD Card can NOT Replace internal Storage, period.

Too many Apps can not handle SD Cards very well, the main problem would however occur when you have only 32, or even 16gb.

Whatsapp for example can not handle a SD Card at all. It only uses internal storage, when this is full, you can have a 500gb SD Card, you won't be able to even update apps.

And most Apps cant be moved to SD Card. The Option is there, but what is moved are just a few Cached data, not the App itself. I have tested it with a bigger sized app, and checked the exact used space + free space on internal storage + sd storage.

However: It should not be much of a Problem, since it's mostly Data like Photos, Videos, Music that consumes alot of space. That can be stored on SD Card. Samsung's Camera can use the SD Card as a standard.

Spotify can also save downloaded stuff on SD Card. Netflix i don't know for sure.

If you get a decent SD card it's not bad; the ones coming out now that are app rated really aren't that bad. Most things that take up excessive amounts of storage (music, video) are easily kept there.

The finger print reader really comes down to personal preference. I greatly prefer it on the back, as by the time I have the phone out of my pocket it's unlocked. I don't have to look at where I'm placing my finger. I goes right to the reader as I'm pulling it out of my pocket. The reader on the 6T requires you to turn on the screen, then place your finger, etc. It's not a great deal longer, but it's definitely longer. Each to their own there though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

true. Even Apps like Whatsapp should take years, to fill up 64gb.

However, not a real bummer without a SD Card support, to just get a bigger Storage option (50€ more for 256gb instead 64gb). Since that often already counters the price of a decent 200gb SD Card.