A $99 Phone that’s ACTUALLY usable :P - Alcatel 1X

James

tinfoil hat

Desktop: 2014 Mac Mini 2.6ghz i5 upgraded to Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb Phone: iPhone 6+ 64gb RGB: Some random strip I got at walmart for 4 bucks :P 

Actually usable?  Pffffft I have a gen 1'ish smart phone as my daily driver.  Im grandfathered into my original contract, unlimited 3g, texts, calls...$25 a month.  If I upgrade my phone I lose my contract lol. 

My brick watches pr0n (low resolution must means closer to my face for that awesome screen door effect), gives me directions, calls and texts.  I can even open up some web pages on my browser still!

LOL

And it has a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Pffft, usable

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

My first smartphone was a samsung galaxy y. That thing had a 320p or so res on a 3,5 inch screen with a huge home button, is slow as hell, and the camera was like 2 mp front and 0,8 back. Phones these days are getting better and better. And cheaper too

I'm not really suprised by this phones usability at all. A few months ago I bought a Motorola Moto x4 for 175€ and it doesn't just perform - it performs very, very well. Good OS performance, good gaming performance, good battery life, decent camera, good GPS, Fingerprint sensor, ip68 waterproofing, dual SIM and it even gets Android 9 later down the line. Only thing missing is compatibility to moto mods which are kinda dope. Apart from that I really don't know why I should buy anything more expensive than that. And with this in mind a 100€ Smartphone shouldn't be too bad.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Imo this was not the right phone for the video. There is plenty of phones out there that you can get about ~100 dollars (like Meizu M lineup), which are super great phones. For that money you can get 2GB of memory, 32GB internal storage with multi sim and expandable storage options, OK CPU, super quick frontal fingerprint reader (like really quick, was annoyed with S7s reader when switched to that) and so on. 

zte maven 3 > anything

they're so cheap you can just yeet them out a window

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

I use to use a $70 phone 2 years ago, lg ultimate 2 and it worked fine. It was slow, but I just needed it for super simple tasks like maps, texting, email, etc. I would have liked to see how this phone's load times opening up simple apps like that compared to more expensive phones.

What the fuck is wrong with those guys. You can buy a lot of decent phones for that price.
I own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5a Prime

specs:

Display: 5.5 inch 1280 x 720 pixels screen 

CPU: Snapdragon 435 Octa Core 1.4GHz 
System: MIUI 8 and above (android 7)
Storage: 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM 
Cameras: front 16.0MP + rear 8.0MP

The thing cost me 115 dollars, and although is sometimes cheaper to buy from AliExpress directly can also be bought on a couple of webshops here in the Netherlands.
This phone doesn't have Android GO and in my experience isn't slow at all.
There is no reason to buy a phone like the Alcatel 1X for 99 dollars if you can buy a lot of redmi models for around the same price which CAN run Android.

Edit:
I'll tell you some more about it. It runs MIUI 9 which is based on android 7. It can be rooted and changed to a different Andoird version but it's a pain. And although I heard people dislike I enjoy it a lot. There is some Mi bloatware but it's really not that bad, and you have to use their app for changing the launcher. But that app does support user-made skins and can also change the look of you lock-screen. MiUI comes with a ram and memory cleaner on it's own and things like a file manager (with even an ftp server built in) and a lot more useful shit. Also smaller things like a QR reader, ability to share a wifi password through a QR code and handy stuff like that. I think the screen looks decent but has horribly dull coloring, the Snapdragon 435 may not be the newest processor but it's not slow at all and can handle a lot. A mobile gamer could certainly play on it. The camera's look like shit even though they should look fine spec-wise, no clue why it seems to just be really bad handling light in any situation. The phone feels really premium, it has an aluminium back and is super light. Oh and last thing if you break the screen you don't even have to buy a new phone you can just buy a new display for 19 dollars from china. The displays already on a frame so any noob can replace it

Edited by LevitatingBusinessMan
Adding some user experience

As some other people already pointed out, this video is really bad. There are loads of usable mobile phones that are usable for that price. Or still really powerfull for marginally more. For same money you can get Xiaomi Redmi 6 with 3gb of ram, Mediatek t22, dual sim, 720x1440 screen etc. Alcatel has never been good value, ever since I had Alcatel OneTouch 955 and had loads of problems with it.

Hell, for 122 eur i got LeEco LeMax 2 with snapdragon X820, 4GB of RAM, 32gb ROM (nonexpandable), QHD IPS screen, OK camera, dodgy fingeprint sensor etc NEW and with warranty.

I use a Nokia 2.1 powered by Android Go. My issue with Android Go is the Go applications. Why? because they're useless and I cannot uninstall them.

Also this video felt that they took most of they're research from the internet such as maps go lacking of turn by turn navigation. 

After some research I actually I have to agree with everyone that the Alcatel 1x is a bad choice for that video. In germany you can get a Nokia 3 right now for 90€ (regularly at 100€) and that phone is miles ahead of the alcatel with pretty decent specs and a full (stock) android 8.0.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

If Linus wants to keep looking into more budget-friendly phones he should review the Moto G6 and NOKIA 6.1. Both are great mid-tier priced phones and when I was looking into budget-friendly recently phones I didn't find much on them.

is this serious?
for $99 I have 3GB RAM, 1080p 5" IPS display; 4000mAh battery and Android 7.0...
did Linus became just a marketing too for Intel/Apple $9999 shiz?

18 hours ago, carnex said:

As some other people already pointed out, this video is really bad.

Yes, my problem with the video is mostly that people will take the advice, thinking that Alcatel is your best option around that price point. I have seen videos from ltt where I believe they didn't do nearly enough research/comparison to similiar options on the market, but this one is by far the worst.