The World's Most Powerful Computer Chip Award for 2013 Goes To...

AMD's R9 290X ! congrats to the winner !

Welcome to fullhd1080P.com’s first ever annual World Most Powerful Computer Chip Award for 2013. This year's annual contenders are nVidia, intel and AMD.    

First up, weighing it at 1.86 Billion Transistors we have in one corner intel’s most powerful consumer chip the Ivy Bridge Core i7 4960X. This monster comes packed with 6 cores and 15MB L3 cache and cost’s an astounding and (some would say ridiculously high) price of  $1049.99.This CPU has punching capacity of nearly 100 Gigaflops.    

Next we have nVidias GTX 780 Ti. This $700 beast output’s around 5.04 Teraflops and it’s nVidia’s fastest chip.   

Lastly, we have the perennial underdog AMD. It’s fastest chip is the R9 290X which sales for a surprisingly low price of $549.99. Not only does it match or beat the nVidia’s GTX Titan but it cost’s almost half the price of the Titan which cost’s $1000.0 and it’s $150.0 less than the 780 Ti.    

So, who is the winner of the 2013 World’s Most Powerful Computer Chip? Well, the answer is obvious and that title goes to AMD with it’s 5.6 Teraflop R9 290X. AMD had a very strong 2nd half of 2013 and it got rave reviews for it’s R9 2XX series of GPU’s. The perennial underdog has beaten the mighty intel and nVidia and takes our First Ever World Most Powerful Computer Chip Award.    

Congratulations to AMD and we look forward to amazing product’s coming out of AMD in 2014.

http://1080ponly.wix.com/fullhd1080p#!world-most-powerful-chip-2013/c75

Weird, because 780ti consumes less power and it is more powerfull.

It consumes marginally less power at any decent load (1-20 watts).

And as said above this source seems like a joke.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I've noticed on these forums that as soon as something is posted that people disagree with they start questioning the validity of the source.

after reading the article I agree. this one is horseshit. that doesn't change my previous statement about this forum.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I guess gk110 dosent win Becuase it's been kicking ass since 2012 ?

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I've noticed on these forums that as soon as something is posted that people disagree with they start questioning the validity of the source.

have you even looked at the source?

It's a free WIX blogging page,most likely managed by some 12 year old.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I thought server chips where more powerfull?

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

I thought server chips where more powerfull?

intel’s most powerful consumer chip 

So I would presume the teenage author intended for this award to be more along the lines of fastest consumer chip.

Linus Sebastian said:

i thought my graphics card was the most powerful? oh well looks like i just shit $900 down the drain...

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Weird, because 780ti consumes less power and it is more powerfull.

ahh, it isn't more powerful ?

The 290X is designed for 4K, you can't test it in 1080p which is 4 times lower pixel count then say it's slower.

AMD invested heavily into elements that would improve high resolution performance like the eight ACE Pipelines and the massive 512bit buss.

Buying a 290X for 1080p gaming is really up to to you but that's not what the 290X is meant for.

GTX 780 Ti  Compute Perf 5.04 TFLOPS

R9 290X  Compute Perf 5.6 TFLOPS

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-3GB-Review-Full-GK110-Crashes-Hawaii

In this instance you should be questioning the source..

after reading the article I agree. this one is horseshit. that doesn't change my previous statement about this forum.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Disregarding the source the 290X is a more powerful compute chip than the 780 Ti, that's a fact.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review/14

And all of a sudden, the thread got very quiet.

In real-world gaming so far, the 780 Ti does seem to have an advantage in terms of FPS. We'll have to wait for the advent of 4K gaming to get a better picture.

Although if FreeSync ends up being very good and Mantle comes through for performance, I'm interested in what Nvidia will come up with to be more competitive.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't see how this can be credible. Sure the price to preformance is great (before the mining rush) but I still don't see it.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

ahh, it isn't more powerful ?

The 290X is designed for 4K, you can't test it in 1080p which is 4 times lower pixel count then say it's slower.

AMD invested heavily into elements that would improve high resolution performance like the eight ACE Pipelines and the massive 512bit buss.

Buying a 290X for 1080p gaming is really up to to you but that's not what the 290X is meant for.

GTX 780 Ti Compute Perf 5.04 TFLOPS

R9 290X Compute Perf 5.6 TFLOPS

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-3GB-Review-Full-GK110-Crashes-Hawaii

Lol, so they designed the flagship card to be used with something hardly anyone has, but to just run 1080 ok, I really don't think they built the card around a resolution

In compute performance, the 290X IS the fastest consumer product on the market by a margin of nearly 600 GFLOPS (anandtech, pcper) IF all you need is pure FLOPS throughput. In gaming performance, it all depends on the game, the settings and the resolution you're using. But I think we all already know that.

Lol, so they designed the flagship card to be used with something hardly anyone has, but to just run 1080 ok, I really don't think they built the card around a resolution

spandy34

ACtually, they do. In the TH AMA, they said that they aimed the 7850 and 7870 at 1080p gamers, and 7950/7970 at 1440p/1600p gamers, as evidenced by the 256bit memory interface with 2GB GDDR5 in the former, and 384 bit memory interface with 3GB GDDR5 in the latter.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

While the reviewer isn't exactly a industry respected source, the R9290x is the "fastest" card/chip out there, if measured by compute that's for sure. Although I don't feel this is even needed to be mentioned, simply a case of look at numbers which is bigger. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

"Designed for 4K" is a load of crap. That is the marketing talking, if a component will crush another at 4k it will crush it also at 1080p. Funny thing is the 290x nor the 780ti can even game(at playable framerates)at 4k resolution so it means nothing anyway.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

And all of a sudden, the thread got very quiet.

In real-world gaming so far, the 780 Ti does seem to have an advantage in terms of FPS. We'll have to wait for the advent of 4K gaming to get a better picture.

Although if FreeSync ends up being very good and Mantle comes through for performance, I'm interested in what Nvidia will come up with to be more competitive.

In terms of what FPS? 

Max? Average? Min? 

Question: Which of those matters most in the highest tier of Single chip GPU cards?

My Answer is Min. Because average and max are usually over your refresh rate and so don't matter. And the 290X (and AMD in general) tends to do better at minimums than Nvidia. Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

"Designed for 4K" is a load of crap. That is the marketing talking, if a component will crush another at 4k it will crush it also at 1080p. Funny thing is the 290x nor the 780ti can even game(at playable framerates)at 4k resolution so it means nothing anyway.

WTH are you talking about? The following images were taken from here.

This is unplayable, I agree:

Crysis.png

However, the settings for that are the following:

DX11 at 3,840x2,160 4xMSAA, High Preset

Why the hell are they using 4xMSAA for 4K? The PPI isn't enough? I very much disbelieve that. 2xMSAA would be as far as I would go there.

But that's Crysis. Crysis is Crysis. It's always been the exception in terms of graphics. Let's look at something a bit more "normal".

This is very playable:

FC.png

And these are the settings (again, I see no point in MSAA, though I would use 2x out of habit):

DX11 at 3,840x2,160 2xMSAA, Ultra Preset

I agree that "we made it for 4K" is marketing speak, but they can hold their own at 4K.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not if they can both crush 1080p to the same degree. Take a Ferrari Enzo and a Bugatti Veyron. Both will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Both will do 150 mph without breaking a sweat. If you want to do 200 mph then both will do that too. But the Veyron will continue up to 260 mph while the Enzo will stop accelerating at about 220.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II