Movies higher than 1080P

SaintSilver

Ive noticed that most content i watch is 1080P from lets call it my sources and everything that is 4K is upscaled is there no native 4K content today? and im not talking about youtube

I've got a couple of 4k Blurays in my library. There's also a difference however, because some (if not most, sadly) 4k Blurays aren't actually shot/processed in 4k but rather also upscaled. 

There definitely are real 4k 4k Blurays though. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I've got a couple of 4k Blurays in my library. There's also a difference however, because some (if not most, sadly) 4k Blurays aren't actually shot/processed in 4k but rather also upscaled. 

There definitely are real 4k 4k Blurays though. 

I Wish they would stop doing that upscaled 4K looks worse than 1080P on a 1440P monitor

52 minutes ago, SaintSilver said:

I Wish they would stop doing that upscaled 4K looks worse than 1080P on a 1440P monitor

In the grand scheme of things 4k is still relatively new so movie studios have little need to produce in 4k for the minority of people that actually care about it. 

Free to air tv and regular DVDs still run at 480p or 480i

Cable/paid for services are generally ran at 720p or 1080i. 

Currently you can only get 1080p or 4k from physical media, or streaming, though again the majority of people don't have the Internet capable of supporting this anyway. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

most movies are actually either shot in higher than 4k resolution or on film and than scanned in at least 4k resolution.

the reason why you dont see many films being released in native 4k is because that would also require to do all special effects and CGI stuff in that resolution as you will see very clearly when the movie is 4k and suddenly there are CGI effects in a lower resolution.

also movie studios are very hesitant because they are still mad about all the time they put into 3D movies only to have the hype die down very quickly again.

Off-topic, as this is about 3D not 4k:

I've been buying 3D Blu-rays despite not having a 3D screen because I figured I would get 3D some day.  I plan on getting into VR at some point, and thought I would buy a Blu-ray drive for my PC to watch the movies in a virtual theatre.  I still want to do that.

3D just wasn't handled very well.  When I worked in retail, there was a surge of interest for 3D in my area AFTER the industry started to give up on it.  During Christmas buying season one year, not a day went by that customers came in excited about the great deal they got on a 3D BD Player or 3D TV only to find out we got rid of our 3D BD movie section.

Also, 3D TVs didn't get to the point they should have been until the end.  We had an LG 4k TV that had interlaced polarization for 3D, and every customer with doubts about 3D changed their mind when I demoed that TV. Especially since I was able to prove that replacing the 3D glasses was as easy as taking home the RealD 3D glasses from our local Cineplex theatres (I had several at work in case more than one customer wanted to see it at the same time).  Yes, I did sell several of those TVs because of this, and I did not make commission.

6 hours ago, SaintSilver said:

Ive noticed that most content i watch is 1080P from lets call it my sources and everything that is 4K is upscaled is there no native 4K content today? and im not talking about youtube

Good point. Yeah on my YouTube videos I like to render my 1080p/720p content in 4k for some dumb reason. There are little benefits. Also not streaming services sometimes even when it says 4k it will play at 1080p or something because your network is slow.

considering streaming movies....can they even do pure 4k, it takes a lot of bandwidth. even netflix says 4k but its not, bandwidth wise. uhd yes but not 4k. yt does have some 4k close videos

On 11/11/2018 at 3:31 PM, Arika S said:

In the grand scheme of things 4k is still relatively new so movie studios have little need to produce in 4k for the minority of people that actually care about it. 

Free to air tv and regular DVDs still run at 480p or 480i

Cable/paid for services are generally ran at 720p or 1080i. 

Currently you can only get 1080p or 4k from physical media, or streaming, though again the majority of people don't have the Internet capable of supporting this anyway. 

Slow connection I live in Israel most still use ADSL (we got fiber not so long ago and even then its only implemented in 20% of the country) we are capable of getting stable 200Mbit download with ADSL getting content in secs be it 4k or lower (Im using YT for reference since i have no other plays to find 4k content unless its torrent) so i do not see the problem here