Meet the new Oculus Rift - Project Crystal Cove

TopWargamer

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284918/oculus-rift-crystal-cove

crystal_cove1.0_cinema_720.0_large_verge

Changelog

-Replaced LCD screen with OLED screen, will reduce motion blur/motion sickness

-The camera in collaboration with the white dots on Crystal Cove will provide better head tracking

-Can now lean and crouch because of the previous point

-OLED screen for Crystal Cove is a low persistence of vision display (ie, Crystal Cove INTENTIONALLY reduces what the player sees so that their brain can smooth out the VR)

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey on the new OLED screen.

"What we're doing is we're taking the image and flashing it on when it's correct, and only keeping that on for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse," Oculus founder Palmer Luckey tells Polygon.

"Low persistence is really, really important. It's probably the most important thing we're showing. It doesn't sound really exciting... but it's incredible the difference low persistence makes. You really have to see it. It's mind-blowing."

I'm really liking what I'm seeing here. Those 4 changes that were listed are very good and needed changes. I'm sure that Crystal Cove uses a 1080p display, but the article doesn't say.

The Verge will be taking a look at Crystal Cove later today, so stay tuned.

COMIC SANS

Hmm. Could this be the final intended product? Or will this be a new version?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hmm. Could this be the final intended product? Or will this be a new version?

I'm ASSUMING that this is the prototype version of the final product.

COMIC SANS

I'm ASSUMING that this is the prototype version of the final product.

Could be. Maybe the previous (A.K.A First version) could be a budget oriented one with 720P/900P screen.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

*Drools* 

I want one. 

Now.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

Could be. Maybe the previous (A.K.A First version) could be a budget oriented one with 720P/900P screen.

That would actually be really cool if they did that. Definitely a good strategy to get VR to the masses, especially for those who can't afford a VR device that is potentially expensive.

COMIC SANS

That would actually be really cool if they did that. Definitely a good strategy to get VR to the masses, especially for those who can't afford a VR device that is potentially expensive.

Possibly that C.C VR is somewhere at the 300$ price point and that the "budget" would be at the 250$ or less. This would really open a wider market for the wider mass.

Looks pretty cool, I hope it launches soon and at a fair price.

Signatures are stupid.

That looks like its going to give neck pains

How so?

COMIC SANS

All of the innovation. I think Apple should learn something from this.

hue hue hue. I know this is pretty astounding even at this moment in time. Can't wait till it goes international so I can try it out. The only bad thing is that its bulky :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I wonder if my optometrist will let me get one 

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

$250 promised price? Not after the OLED inclusion. On the upside, much better picture colour quality. It's a pity the promised consumer price won't be guaranteed any more. Doors are opening for competing products to take some market share once all of these devices are released. No mention of native Steam OS support or future support.

$250 promised price? Not after the OLED inclusion. On the upside, much better picture colour quality. It's a pity the promised consumer price won't be guaranteed any more. Doors are opening for competing products to take some market share once all of these devices are released. No mention of native Steam OS support or future support.

Are you referencing my suggestion? If so, I meant the normal LCD (Current) model for budget. But it's all guessing.

Nice to see a new Rift prototype, looks on track for the consumer model.

Been hyped since the kickstarter and nothing seems to have halted that yet.

OLED is nice, and finally seeing positional tracking is awesome, even if it might not be the exact same as the consumer model.

Oh, IGN has a video of it and the tracking.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

It looks pretty heavy could be the angle

Well they are only having a prototype. It might be lighter later on or the weight will be correctly distributed.

It looks pretty heavy could be the angle

The Rift has a strap going around the head, and a strap that goes on top of the head. So think of it as a helmet, with no hard top, and a screen in front of it.

COMIC SANS

So this is basically like what Lightboost does for motion blur in that it inserts black periods in between graphics frames. I remember reading that OLED cannot handle this type of BPI (Black Period Insertion) between frames because it is not bright enough. To get impulse response equivalent to CRTs, the display has to be insanely bright. This is because when inserting black frames in between graphics frames, the naked eye cannot notice the black frames themselves, but it can notice a darker tint to the image that also results in a diminished gamma, delta-e color error, along with brightness. Its either Oculus Rift has a revolutionary new OLED technology that no one else has up their sleeves, or they are going to run into serious brightness and image quality issues whether the screen is Full HD or 4K! Anyway, seeing all these videos of people using Kinnects to control robotic arms, like NASA featured on the WAN show, this is really exiting with the included web cam and motion dot sensors that they use in special effect production in hollywood. Crystal Cove brings us much closer to Virtual Reality, its just I am afraid of the brightness hit and degraded image quality that will persist with an OLED screen with BPI.

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

4K plox?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270