Meet the new Oculus Rift - Project Crystal Cove

TopWargamer

Possibly that C.C VR is somewhere at the 300$ price point and that the "budget" would be at the 250$ or less. This would really open a wider market for the wider mass.

I don't they'll do that because the first dev kit was good for developers, but not really practical with the huge pixels and latency.

4K plox?

They could get a 4K screen most likely, but

1) Are there 4K screens with the refresh rate that the current ones have?

2) The gpu technology isn't 'far enough'for full 4K support, or even running any good framerate like 120 what the rift could use.

3) It would drive up the price quite a bit.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

*ogles*

*drools*

*changes pants*

*oculus*

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

... Its either Oculus Rift has a revolutionary new OLED technology that no one else has up their sleeves, ...

- winny3141 :D

Palmer said this, so they certainly have something different.

"It is not something that any OLED panel can do," he stated. He politely declined to offer any more details of the new display, including the resolution.

And on the topic of 4k, we are only just seeing affordable panels now of monitor size, the price of a 4k 5" panel that runs at 60Hz would be so high and I doubt they would even be able to source them easily/at all.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I guess this means that the rift has a 100hz or higher panel, because john carmack said, at the nVidia event I think, that on low persistence displays with a refresh rate of above 100hz the flickering becomes unnoticable. I am extremely happy that they most likely won't put a 60hz panel in the final product, that would have killed the experience for me, gg OculusVR :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Take my money

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

What most people don't get is that it is crucial that the fps stays 60+ at all times while v-synch is enabled. Even the 780Ti can't do that with modern games that are maxed out. Then add the fact that you need to render two images on the screen, one for each eye, and the fact that the Rift doesn't work well with multiple card set-ups as they add additional lag because of the way SLI and CF render. Also, they want the Rift to be used by loads of people, not just hardware enthusiasts, if you need two or more high-end cards they can kiss that wish goodbye.

People that want a higher resolution just don't get it, we can barely run 1080p...

Anyway, I love these improvements, with even more improvements promised!

I really hope they will manage to release the consumer version by the end of this year and that they keep the price (incl. international shipping) under the 400-450 dollar mark. As long as they manage that, I'll be very happy.

What most people don't get is that it is crucial that the fps stays 60+ at all times while v-synch is enabled. Even the 780Ti can't do that with modern games that are maxed out. Then add the fact that you need to render two images on the screen, one for each eye, and the fact that the Rift doesn't work well with multiple card set-ups as they add additional lag because of the way SLI and CF render. Also, they want the Rift to be used by loads of people, not just hardware enthusiasts, if you need two or more high-end cards they can kiss that wish goodbye.

People that want a higher resolution just don't get it, we can barely run 1080p...

Anyway, I love these improvements, with even more improvements promised!

I really hope they will manage to release the consumer version by the end of this year and that they keep the price (incl. international shipping) under the 400-450 dollar mark. As long as they manage that, I'll be very happy.

I agree. While 4k would be a thing to be looking forward to in the future, right now the fastest gaming-grade gpu on the market is not able to run 1080p on maxed settings on the better looking games. Imagine what will happen with current gpus on witcher 3, new metro and such. And with screen so close to your eyes you do want the sharpest, most detailed image you can get.

I agree. While 4k would be a thing to be looking forward to in the future, right now the fastest gaming-grade gpu on the market is not able to run 1080p on maxed settings on the better looking games. Imagine what will happen with current gpus on witcher 3, new metro and such. And with screen so close to your eyes you do want the sharpest, most detailed image you can get.

What games do we have that can't be played at 60 fps + 1080p on a 780 Ti/290X?

EDIT: Unless we are talking about absolutely never dipping below 60 fps? In which case never mind

What games do we have that can't be played at 60 fps + 1080p on a 780 Ti/290X?

EDIT: Unless we are talking about absolutely never dipping below 60 fps? In which case never mind

You are correct. We are talking in absolutes, dips usually occur during intense scenes with lots of things happening, precisely the moments you do not want to invoke the simulator sickness and disorientation associated with sub-60 frame rates on the Rift.

Indeed. Max settings are, if not an absolute requirement, very much wanted for maximum immersion. Again, maxed setting combined with the fact that rendering the two images on the single 1080p screen is more intense than playing a game on a regular 1080p monitor makes the task difficult enough. 4K VR would of course be amazing, but will not be practical for years to come.