Not able to register on LTT forum with PIA enabled

Hi there,

So I just registered for this forum (obviously) but for doing so I needed to disable PIA which is a bit subpar. With PIA disabled, everything worked fine. With PIA enabled, the "Are you a human?" tickbox required me to select some cars and store fronts (you know the deal) but then the anti-spam system rejected my request to register.

I managed to get here, but thought it might be worth to notice that.

I'm going to move this into the bugs and issues area just so we can get an official an technically knowledgeable response on the matter :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

48 minutes ago, felixlinker said:

Hi there,

So I just registered for this forum (obviously) but for doing so I needed to disable PIA which is a bit subpar. With PIA disabled, everything worked fine. With PIA enabled, the "Are you a human?" tickbox required me to select some cars and store fronts (you know the deal) but then the anti-spam system rejected my request to register.

I managed to get here, but thought it might be worth to notice that.

that's google recaptcha. It's fucking shit because it's looking at what the average person does, and if that damn car or stop sign has a bit that's BARELY in a square, it's 50/50 whether you're supposed to pick it. Actually picking all squares if often rejected. 

This will happen to a lot of sites on PIA, including a google search in a new session (ie private mode). This is because on PIA (or any VPN service), you may be sharing an IP address with many people trigger flood control. You also may run into banned ip addresses from some websites, as others using it did something and the admin doesn't know that in 2018 you don't ip ban anymore. 

I can still find some IPs on PIA that aren't hit by flood control, just hop around a bit on odd countries if you're having and issue. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

that's google recaptcha. It's fucking shit because it's looking at what the average person does, and if that damn car or stop sign has a bit that's BARELY in a square, it's 50/50 whether you're supposed to pick it. Actually picking all squares if often rejected.

I know that feeling. Once I went through probably 10 of those for Discord login.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I know that feeling. Once I went through probably 10 of those for Discord login.

They make me want to scream. I was really good at guessing the old ones, but I've always hated the idea of recaptcha- you can be right but still wrong because the majority was wrong. In 2018 because of capable AI it makes sense, but in the past it used ot make me want to scream when I typed in one right and recaptcha would be like "nope, fill out that form again asshole."

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

This will happen to a lot of sites on PIA, including a google search in a new session (ie private mode). This is because on PIA (or any VPN service), you may be sharing an IP address with many people trigger flood control. You also may run into banned ip addresses from some websites, as others using it did something and the admin doesn't know that in 2018 you don't ip ban anymore. 

I can still find some IPs on PIA that aren't hit by flood control, just hop around a bit on odd countries if you're having and issue. 

It's not just google recaptcha, I think. Because when I ticked the "I'm a human box" and solved one or two "Select all pictures that have X on it" the captcha showed me that I indeed was successfully validated as a human. Only when I clicked "Register now" or whatever the button says, I was prompted the error message.

The "detected as a spammer" system uses a third party list of known spammer IP addresses and emails, so if someone has been posting spam on other sites from that IP, the IP will have been flagged up by that.

I am aware of a significant number of false positives (and false negatives) from the spam service recently, so at some point I plan to review its usefulness. For now though, spam is a problem, so I am unwilling to disable it without being confident about what the consequences will be.

HTTP/2 203

On 11/8/2018 at 10:50 PM, colonel_mortis said:

The "detected as a spammer" system uses a third party list of known spammer IP addresses and emails, so if someone has been posting spam on other sites from that IP, the IP will have been flagged up by that.

I am aware of a significant number of false positives (and false negatives) from the spam service recently, so at some point I plan to review its usefulness. For now though, spam is a problem, so I am unwilling to disable it without being confident about what the consequences will be.

Thanks for getting back to this. For me this thread was not about "disable anti spam system pls" but "I think you might be interested in this"; whatever the outcome might be, I'm fine with it :)

On 11/6/2018 at 3:24 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

This will happen to a lot of sites on PIA, including a google search in a new session (ie private mode).

Simple way I found for getting around this: Go to https://google.com/ then search for something, rather than doing it from a new tab. Or use a different search engine in those situations such as DuckDuckGo.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

On 11/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, TheKDub said:

Simple way I found for getting around this: Go to https://google.com/ then search for something, rather than doing it from a new tab. Or use a different search engine in those situations such as DuckDuckGo.

i can make it work if I was on myh regular internet on the same session recently. But if I start a new private window it might happen. 

muh specs 

All parts black

On 11/7/2018 at 3:03 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

takes the life out of me when you have to press all the images and it takes ages to load the next image, its infuriating. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 11/8/2018 at 2:50 PM, colonel_mortis said:

I am unwilling to disable it without being confident about what the consequences will be.

Oh god, even more weight loss spam threads

23 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oh god, even more weight loss spam threads

Could be worse.  You should check the "LTT Official" section.  Almost every single thread there is spam for some electronics product, all started by the same couple of spammers.