Please suggest a suitable Graphics Card

Bateman1950x

Hello friends,

My machine specs:

AMD threadripper 1950x

Gigabyte X399-AORUS-Gaming-7

Gskill 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 (8x4GB to take advantage of quad channel)

Corsair H115i  (was considering Enermax LiqTech TR4 360 but as it was not of great support and reputation, so skipped it)

Some old Nvidia card (256MB VRAM maybe?)

Samsung 500G NVMe EVO 960

Seasonic 850W focus 80 gold PSU

Fractal design R6 Case

This machine works great and I have been using it mainly for some CPU-intensive jobs on Linux. I plan to use to for gaming with Windows 10 OS (as dual boot). I don't have any latest monitors (have some 19" Flatron of 4-5 years old). I have LG OLED 55" Smart 4k HDR TV. Can I use this as monitor for my system? (it has 4 HDMI ports) if yes, could anyone please suggest appropriate Graphics Card (few options would be best to choose from) to fit in my Threadripper machine?

Thanks!!

If you're ok with going Nvidia for the GPU, well basing this off your current components... the 2080ti seems most suitable, though it is overwhelmingly overpriced and only a beta card for something that doesn't entirely exist if I'm honest. 

1080ti is the best card to get to be safe while having one of the best out there. May I recommend these:

EVGA FTW3

EVGA SC2 - (if you don't have the clearance, but your case should allow the FTW3 to fit)

MSI Trio

ASUS Strix. 

I wouldn't suggest using an OLED as a monitor because the taskbar could burn in to your shiny new TV.

Or just hide the taskbar and use a screensaver like a boss xD

As far as graphics cards go, a 1080, 1080Ti or 2070/2080 will more than suffice for 4K gaming.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

the 2080ti seems most suitable

Those have been dying lately, not sure if you've heard.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Those have been dying lately, not sure if you've heard.

I've heard, I was basing it off of the current components he owns, which are screaming for some power. 

The cards will be RMA'd, but I can see how that would be such a bummer and a hassle. 

That's why I also suggested the 1080ti, it's my preferred option. 

Thanks everyone with your expertly & swift suggestions.

I'm thinking of £500 as budget for this. It seems I might get 1080 but NOT 1080ti with my limited budget. What are the main differences between 1080 vs 1080ti?

Best,

4 minutes ago, Bateman1950x said:

Thanks everyone with your expertly & swift suggestions.

I'm thinking of £500 as budget for this. It seems I might get 1080 but NOT 1080ti with my limited budget. What are the main differences between 1080 vs 1080ti?

Best,

As per usual, the 1080ti out performs the 1080 by a large margin. It's on par with the new 2080 base model, and even out performs it in some aspects. I would spend the extra few dollars to grab a TI. 

Thanks DVA.

IF I buy 1080ti, do I need to improve my case cooling? OR would the fans come with Graphics card suffice??

Also, which make is the best for 1080ti? Asus / gigabyte/Evga?  It seems Gigabyte are the cheapest?

As mentioned in my initial post, I'm using Corsair H115i for CPU cooling and 3 140mm case fans.

31 minutes ago, Bateman1950x said:

Thanks DVA.

IF I buy 1080ti, do I need to improve my case cooling? OR would the fans come with Graphics card suffice??

Also, which make is the best for 1080ti? Asus / gigabyte/Evga?  It seems Gigabyte are the cheapest?

As mentioned in my initial post, I'm using Corsair H115i for CPU cooling and 3 140mm case fans.

I'd venture to say that the Asus  STRIX cards are the best (from my experience). They do tend to be more expensive, but run higher clocks and have better out-of-the-box thermals. 

Your CPU cooling and case fans will be sufficient, so long as the case fans can provide cool air for the GPU (and you have sufficient exhaust, though I'd assume that your CPU rad is the exhaust).

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3