Android Phones Are Basically Used As Dumbphones

Gunzkewl

I don't think he's saying that a phone is a dumb phone if it lacks the ability to make a purchase, but rather is the user willing to buy stuff on their smartphone which is totally idiotic. He's defining a phone based on the user and not the actual capabilities of the device.

I see that, but he is essentially saying that because people who buy android phones dont buy things online that they might as well be using a dumb phone, completely disreguarding all the other features and functions that a smart phone might have. Its just grossly misrepresenting statistics and the study that was done, that basically concluded that "iOS users buy more things on phones and tablets than android users".

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

EVERYONE!! We have another American with a broken sense of humour!!!

Riiiight, keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'd love to get in a dick measuring contest, but you ain't even worth me smashing you over the head. Peace.

Statistics... I'd like to know how many accounts were used to create that survey

144Hz goodness

So the size of my wallet and how I burn it directly dictates how intelligent how smart my phone or I are?

I'd assume smart would be buying a better price/performance phone, like a Nexus 5, not buying premium priced products.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

So the size of my wallet and how I burn it directly dictates how intelligent how smart my phone or I are?

I'd assume smart would be buying a better price/performance phone, like a Nexus 5, not buying premium priced products.

Whats funny about that statement is that at T-Mobile right now you can get the Nexus 5 OR the Iphone 5 (either model) for $0 down if you have good/excellent credit.

Riiiight, keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'd love to get in a dick measuring contest, but you ain't even worth me smashing you over the head. Peace.

Well, you're a rather rude individual.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Have you tried browsing the web on a samsung dart?

The specs of the phone have nothing to do with it, so long as it can browse the net, you can shop on it and the users can be compared, however the conclusion this bloke has made is wrong, just not for those reasons.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Have you tried browsing the web on a samsung dart?

I browse the web on a Samsung flip sometimes. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Whats funny about that statement is that at T-Mobile right now you can get the Nexus 5 OR the Iphone 5 (either model) for $0 down if you have good/excellent credit.

I don't buy my phones on a contract, especially something like a Nexus 5.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Plebs use iOS

/thread

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I am an Android user. I am quite happy to pay for apps, however I find no compelling reason to do so. All of the good apps are free of charge with a small fee if you choose to remove ads. This is unlike iOS, where if you don't pay for apps, you're screwed. All good apps cost and most of the time still provide an inferior service to their Android counterparts.

I've spent abiut£10 on apps. Many of which, I don'tuse anymore.

Compatible with Windows 95

Even tough I myself use an iPhone I might think that a Android user is more cost aware. The Android phones are as good as iPhones at much lower cost but they don't carry the same image and to many, not the same design value. So maybe Android users spend less money shopping through phones because they research more and longer before buying. This research is, in my opinion, much more convenient on a Laptop / Desktop. iPhone users might not care about a cheaper solution as they target a specific item whereas Android users might be more flexible and consider lower cost items.

wow, an honest opinion without brand loyalism or anti-fanboyism. Haven't seen one of these on these forums before!

i agree for the most part. Most android phones are owned by people who don't like to spend money as they are budget phones to begin with.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Holy crap, that's a lot of people making under $25k a year with smart phones... Not exactly what I see as a priority purchase. Factor in your contract cost and you are spending nearly 10% of your annual income on a phone.

Really? an article sourcing an article quoting research figures with less than 4x500 subjects and you think this is evenly remotely accurate?

Half of all iphone users are between 14 and 17 which greatly undermines the statistical relevance of educational achievement.

Note you can't measure intelligence by user type, but you can get an idea from 200 million users what they do with their phone:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/iphone-users-watch-more-video-2013-33

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Really? an article sourcing an article quoting research figures with less than 4x500 subjects and you think this is evenly remotely accurate?

Accuracy is irrelevant if my intent is to rustle jimmies

But since you ask, it is quite accurate. Although a greater sample size would show that samsung phone customers are actually even less educated than iphone customers.

The primary reason is they spend so much time submitting android crash reports that they have little time to complete dissertations, projects, assignments or even simple homework.

#iphonemasterrace

Accuracy is irrelevant if my intent is to rustle jimmies

But since you ask, it is quite accurate. Although a greater sample size would show that samsung phone customers are actually even less educated than iphone customers.

The primary reason is they spend so much time submitting android crash reports that they have little time to complete dissertations, projects, assignments or even simple homework.

#iphonemasterrace

obvious troll is obvious...

Shopping from a phone just seems wrong to me.

I Agree. I would not shop from a phone. Only when using the Steam app.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Google Play store commercial. I mean, I have never seen an App Store commercial or any other app store commercial on television (iTunes, yes). But of course, the purpose of the advertisement is to bring awareness so that people go on it via their devices for browsing and hopefully purchase an app. I can't help but think the information mentioned in the article is why that advert was made.

tomlambert01, on 08 Jan 2014 - 7:38 PM, said:

I am an Android user. I am quite happy to pay for apps, however I find no compelling reason to do so. All of the good apps are free of charge with a small fee if you choose to remove ads. This is unlike iOS, where if you don't pay for apps, you're screwed. All good apps cost and most of the time still provide an inferior service to their Android counterparts.
I've spent abiut£10 on apps. Many of which, I don'tuse anymore.

This is actually one of the problems, which does not benefit the developer or Google (they get no cut of the sales). Since the business model is not charging up-front and instead making the app free, the chances of someone willing to pay for the full version or removing the ads are low. Rather, the developer is charging on a micro-transaction-like model for a potentially endless supply. And because there are more Android users than iOS, they know this is the better model in the long run. But it isn't good for the short run if they need the money for bug fixing, updates, or future apps - one of the many reasons why apps come on iOS first. Gives a chance for the developers to recoup their costs and then use it for the Android version if they chose to. If you ever run a site, you'll know that ads don't give enough either.

"This is one reason why Apple isn't exactly panicking over the rise of Android in the East. Android users just aren't lucrative users for app developers, and app developers want to be in a media/commerce-rich environment, which right now is iPhone." - As stated in the original article.

There was a subject on Gizmodo about something similar and how the Chinese (mainland) are more than willing to pay the full-price of a top premium device such as the iPhone or Galaxy phone, but not when it comes to apps if they can get it free via legitimate or illegitimate methods. As it is a convenient on Android to side load apps or get apps from unofficial sources, why would anyone want to pay? If you limit the convenience of easily getting the apps buy charging with low prices, the chances are must greater for that person to buy it. Especially if similar free versions are limited in features.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Google Play store commercial. I mean, I have never seen an App Store commercial or any other app store commercial on television (iTunes, yes). But of course, the purpose of the advertisement is to bring awareness so that people go on it via their devices for browsing and hopefully purchase an app. I can't help but think the information mentioned in the article is why that advert was made.

tomlambert01, on 08 Jan 2014 - 7:38 PM, said:

This is actually one of the problems, which does not benefit the developer or Google (they get no cut of the sales). Since the business model is not charging up-front and instead making the app free, the chances of someone willing to pay for the full version or removing the ads are low. Rather, the developer is charging on a micro-transaction-like model for a potentially endless supply. And because there are more Android users than iOS, they know this is the better model in the long run. But it isn't good for the short run if they need the money for bug fixing, updates, or future apps - one of the many reasons why apps come on iOS first. Gives a chance for the developers to recoup their costs and then use it for the Android version if they chose to. If you ever run a site, you'll know that ads don't give enough either.

"This is one reason why Apple isn't exactly panicking over the rise of Android in the East. Android users just aren't lucrative users for app developers, and app developers want to be in a media/commerce-rich environment, which right now is iPhone." - As stated in the original article.

There was a subject on Gizmodo about something similar and how the Chinese (mainland) are more than willing to pay the full-price of a top premium device such as the iPhone or Galaxy phone, but not when it comes to apps if they can get it free via legitimate or illegitimate methods. As it is a convenient on Android to side load apps or get apps from unofficial sources, why would anyone want to pay? If you limit the convenience of easily getting the apps buy charging with low prices, the chances are must greater for that person to buy it. Especially if similar free versions are limited in features.

The adverts in the apps are powered by Google, so they get a huge cut of the revenue. And yes Piracy is a problem ith Android, however, you have to re-install pirated apps to get updates, so it means that you really hve to pay for these apps that you really want.

Compatible with Windows 95