Remote controlling F@H ad the PC it is running on.

Idd like to have my rig fold 24/7, but I am not at home for 50% of the days. 

I need some software to remote control and reboot my rig, if it fails or does wired shizz.

I already have a smart plug, but the problem is, that this only can shut down the machine and not reboot it.

Idd ned some remote access software and some way to reboot the box.

For remote monitoring temps I already got a solution

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

You can set the computer to automatically restart after a power failure, and you can set up "scheduled" boots in case that auto restart doesn't work.

As for controlling a bunch of folding computers remotely, look into "BoincTasks" which works well with "Tthrottle" for controlling temps. It also allows you to monitor all the computers online via the boinctasks website. 

You can also setup "wake on lan" for the computer, in case it does shut down you may be able to send a magic packet via your router to wake it up.

8 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You can set the computer to automatically restart after a power failure, and you can set up "scheduled" boots in case that auto restart doesn't work.

As for controlling a bunch of folding computers remotely, look into "BoincTasks" which works well with "Tthrottle" for controlling temps. It also allows you to monitor all the computers online via the boinctasks website. 

You can also setup "wake on lan" for the computer, in case it does shut down you may be able to send a magic packet via your router to wake it up.

Cool! Thanks

But how do I wake it up via lan?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Cool! Thanks

But how do I wake it up via lan?

That's the "wake on lan" part. It's usually a setting in the BIOS. Then your router LIKELY has an option to send a "magic packet" out. (Yes, it's literally called a magic packet.) Also I'm pretty sure you can set up the computer to start up if it receives any sort of network. It's all going to depend on the settings in your motherboard. 

You can also google around for tutorials for how to setup "wake on lan", like the one below.

https://www.lifewire.com/wake-on-lan-4149800

what OS is it running? you could use ssh if it runs linux, but that won't work if the machine totally crashes. 

She/Her

Regarding the PC turning off, you should just have it automatically power on if power is cut for a second.

You should be able to use TeamViewer to remotely control a PC that is on (As long as you schedule it to launch when the computer boots up). It also helps if you have multiple systems but not multiple monitors - you can connect one PC to another's monitor or your phone.

That's what I'm currently doing for the F@H.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

50 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Idd like to have my rig fold 24/7, but I am not at home for 50% of the days. 

I need some software to remote control and reboot my rig, if it fails or does wired shizz.

I already have a smart plug, but the problem is, that this only can shut down the machine and not reboot it.

Idd ned some remote access software and some way to reboot the box.

For remote monitoring temps I already got a solution

Personally I use Teamviewer, but you can use any Remote Session software (WebEx, one of the VNC variants, etc).

You could (but shouldn't) use Windows Remote Desktop, because if you do, you have to open up ports on your Firewall and you expose your PC to a security threat.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Some remote desktop solutions have issues with F@H and will make the GPU slot fail, you have been warned. I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head but I think Windows remote is one of them. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240