IBM makes $34bn offer for cloud computing firm Red Hat

Master Disaster

It looks as though IBM will acquire cloud computing company Red Hat, the deal is all but done and is waiting for approval from shareholders and regulators (a process expected to take around a year).

In a massive deal that could reshape cloud computing, IBM is acquiring open software company Red Hat for $34 billion.

The companies called the deal, which still needs approval from shareholders and regulators, the "most significant tech acquisition of 2018." The deal is expected to close in the second half of 2019.

As I'm sure you all know, Cloud Computing refers to any software or service than runs online. IBM are saying this acquisition will change the way existing cloud services interact with each other and will allow for data to be moved around various and competing services much easier.

The cloud, simply, refers to software and services that run on the internet instead of your computer. Dropbox, Netflix, Flickr, Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365, Yahoo Mail are all cloud services.

These various platforms often don't allow data to easily move between them.

Red Hat says its software solves that issue by allowing data to be more easily moved around.

Together, IBM and Red Hat say they will be "strongly positioned to address this issue."

IBM have vowed to continue partnerships set up by Red Hat including with Microsoft, Amazon & Google.

IBM buying Red Hat means that it will start providing technology to its biggest competitors, including Amazon, Microsoft and Google. Red Hat partners with all of them, and IBM said it will continue the partnerships after the acquisition and work to expand on them.

CFO Jim Kavanaugh told investors during a conference call earlier this month that its cloud unit brought in $19 billion, up more than 20% from the same time last year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/28/tech/ibm-red-hat/index.html

Sounds like IBM have some big plans for the future of cloud computing. I've got to be honest, there have been multiple times I've wished it was possible to send files between Google Drive and One Drive. I hope they achieve this, it's something that really would help.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What is the reason people choose red hat over other kinds of linux? I mean plenty of them offer cloud services too.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Now they are going to have to re-educate watson regarding red hats and clouds.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm not happy at all about this acquisition. Having worked with and at IBM, this can be very bad for RHEL based products, like very widely adopted CentOS and Fedora. (IBM is extremely pro-profit enterprise, which leaves no room for private non-commercial products.)

Not to mention Ansible. Ansible has been a very promising and actually quite a bit used system automation and configuration tool in Linux enterprises. It would be a shame if it gets the blue hat treatment, i.e. slap a bill to every little version of it that is not AWX.

There is also negative impact for existing RHAT customers, thanks to new and renewed contracts, support and licensing models that IBM brings with it.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:55 AM, williamcll said:

What is the reason people choose red hat over other kinds of linux? I mean plenty of them offer cloud services too.

Commercial support.

Also RHCSA and other certifications provided by Red Hat. Basically they have official education channels to their product.

Edited by ichihaifu
Corrected IBM description and removed EDIT tag.

2 hours ago, ichihaifu said:

I'm not happy at all about this acquisition. Having worked with and at IBM, this can be very bad for RHEL based products, like very widely adopted CentOS and Fedora. (IBM is extremely pro-enterprise, and operates based on profit only, which leaves no room for private non-commercial products.)

EDIT: Not to mention Ansible. Ansible has been a very promising and actually quite a bit used system automation and configuration tool in Linux enterprises. It would be a shame if it gets the blue hat treatment, i.e. slap a bill to every little version of it that is not AWX.

There is also negative impact for existing RHAT customers, thanks to new and renewed contracts, support and licensing models that IBM brings with it.

Commercial support.

Also RHCSA and other certifications provided by Red Hat. Basically they have official education channels to their product.

Had a giggle after reading your comment and seeing your profile pic >.>

I'm not very aware of how IBM deals with acquisitions, but reading comments in lots of places, people are highly concerned about the future of Fedora and Centos.

I'm not too much into Linux but people love Fedora and Centos.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Almost everything I use is CentOS. I'm not really in tune enough to know how much I should actually be concerned, but I am concerned anyway. I think, if I'm guesstimating right, this is about a quarter of IBMs total net worth. That's concerning mainly because IMO that would mean they cannot afford to not milk this. 
My main worry is that you will have to actually register CentoOS by manually signing up for license keys that work per instance.  

For redhat itself, I really don't care personally since I'm not a linux pro and I do not keep up with this stuff, but a guarantee IBM will slowly shove DB2 and WAS in there, raw and unlubricated. All I know about IBM is they will tell both the RH employees and the customers that nothing is changing, which will be true for a bout a year until everything has died down. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

Red Hat (CentOS) is considered one of the more stable OS out there, They tend to priorities stability over big changes. So when you do a point update (7.0 to 7.6) everything will keep on working like it did before. The support you get from Red Hat is also known to be very good.

One of the scary part of the acquisition is all the other tools maintained by Red Hat, like Ansible and Open Stack.

Edit: Here is a list of popular affected Sofwoare/OS:

RHEL

CentOS

Fedora

CoreOS

Ansible

Openstack

Openshift

Ceph

etcd

Prometheus

so what will we get now? AIX redhat? lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, exetras said:

Red Hat (CentOS) is considered one of the more stable OS out there, They tend to priorities stability over big changes. So when you do a point update (7.0 to 7.6) everything will keep on working like it did before. The support you get from Red Hat is also known to be very good.

One of the scary part of the acquisition is all the other tools maintained by Red Hat, like Ansible and Open Stack.

Edit: Here is a list of popular affected Sofwoare/OS:

RHEL

CentOS

Fedora

CoreOS

Ansible

Openstack

Openshift

Ceph

etcd

Prometheus

I find it amazing that the company behind the most stable Linux distro (Cent) is the same company bankrolling the most unstable (Fedora) xD

Thanks for the informative post, I always appreciate the more business side of the tech industry as this kind of news is more relevant to those working in the enterprise sector, so it's good to know what's going on and to be able to discuss it with colleagues.

16 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Cloud Computing

Who knows what mining they done of the data in the cloud to sell for profit. Storage prices are always going down, until the next fad. The average person does not need much storage data.

I can not trust news sources like CNN, they are just not trustworthy.

I prefer unbiased news reporting.

20 hours ago, exetras said:

Stability is only a small part of it.

In fact, there is no real reason you could not just blindly pick up any other linux distribution and roll with it, if you only looked at stability. By far the biggest contributors are support channels and deployment/configuration tools that come with package, plus the availability of certification programs and free platform to demo and develop on.

RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is so simple to roll out and manage on large, combined with very good training programs they offer - that hiring capable workforce to develop and support the platform is relatively cheap, as opposed to hiring very experienced linux developers to work on other platforms.

In the shadow of above, stability is secondary and will usually get considered afterward.

Smaller shops can roll with CentOS until they grow large enough to need RHAT support, at which point they can easily upgrade to RHEL licensing models and become entitled for it.

21 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Almost everything I use is CentOS. I'm not really in tune enough to know how much I should actually be concerned, but I am concerned anyway. I think, if I'm guesstimating right, this is about a quarter of IBMs total net worth. That's concerning mainly because IMO that would mean they cannot afford to not milk this. 
My main worry is that you will have to actually register CentoOS by manually signing up for license keys that work per instance.  

For redhat itself, I really don't care personally since I'm not a linux pro and I do not keep up with this stuff, but a guarantee IBM will slowly shove DB2 and WAS in there, raw and unlubricated. All I know about IBM is they will tell both the RH employees and the customers that nothing is changing, which will be true for a bout a year until everything has died down. 

Main concern with IBM comes from their lack of innovation and toxic pro-profit business culture. If there is no profit to be had, it will get shaved.

This makes freely distributed tools exetras mentioned prime targets for such cuts, if the business cannot find way to make profit out of them - which they absolutely will try, because this transaction is massive enough to go down in history books.

There will not be any immediate impact, but this is at least as concerning as Article 13 in Europe, in the long term, and should be monitored with care.

(Maybe not entirely on that scale, because general consumer will never see the impact, but on enterprise space it is very considerable news)

Here is a news article that will hopefully make it a bit easier to understand the circumstances: https://gizmodo.com/what-will-become-of-linux-giant-red-hat-now-that-it-sol-1830074632/amp