9900k or 9900x for gaming?

Ciasus

good evening :)

first, sorry if this topic already exist. i couldn't find anything.

i'm working on a new setup with a 9th gen. cpu and for now one 2080ti. But i want to add another in the next summer. the problem is the 9900k has only 16 lanes which means the gpus will only work on 8 lanes. one solution would be to buy the 9900x instead but it performs much worse (due to the lower clock per core in boost). what would you guys choose? in my opinion the gpu performance is much more importent since there are not much cpu releated games out there. which means its importent to let both gpus run at 16 lanes. but i wonder why no one is asking that question. is it that obviosly that the 9900k is better even with 8 lanes per gpu?

benchmark: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/prozessoren/47533-intel-mit-eigenen-benchmarks-zum-i9-9900k-i9-9980xe-und-i9-9900x.html

thanks for help

saw that already. but he is not talking about the 9900x only 9900k and below.

I am seriously thinking of holding off for the 14-15% IPC improvements on the Ryzen 3rd gen . That plus rumors of it having a 16c/32t mainstream chip and the hope of 7nm bringing clocks to 4.6-4.7ghz makes it tempting. If they can close the IPC and clock gap enough then they will be a no brainer. Currently I am not a fan of the frame hit you take on high end cards.

There is still a good chance I am going to get a 9900k though and I think it is one beast of a gaming and multi-threading cpu, but there are much more cost effective options currently out there.

I'm no fanboy but for gaming I'd go for a high end Ryzen

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

SLI makes no sense any more when a single GPU can do 4k already, with the minimum of tuning you're looking at 4k 120hz easy with a 2080 Ti, something being honest was already possible with a single 1080 Ti with just a little more tuning of the in game settings.

Either ways I believe 3.0 8x is still enough for the most part, Skylake-X has inferior gaming performance beyond clocks but the inferior Mesh.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

so 1000.- or more for the 9900x is just useless money spent for just the option to have both gpus at x16?

yes the amd 2700x is also a good choice for the cash but i want a future stable setup for 4-5 years.

hmm wait for amds 3th gen would also be an option... do we have a release date yet?

15 minutes ago, Ciasus said:

since there are not much cpu releated games out there

Not sure where you got this idea

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Ciasus said:

so 1000.- or more for the 9900x is just useless money spent for just the option to have both gpus at x16?

2 GPUs is waste of money already by itself.

Intel HEDT platform has always been absurdly overpriced, if you just want a gaming and general usage PC it makes absolutely no sense getting it, it is for specific professional work with software and multi-tasking enough to justify it.

If you want to break the bank on a high end gaming setup, it'll be either the i7 9700K or i9 9900K on a z390 with 16gb of fast RAM and a 2080 Ti.

Personally go for an ultrawide 3440x1440p for it's better immersion in games and actual extended virtual space, 4k has the same virtual space as 2560x1440p, you just get extra 'sharpness' which personally speaking is unoticeable and diminishing at 27~30inchs compared to normal 1440p.

You'll have a PC capable of running every thing max out for years to come, you'll probably want to upgrade your GPU by about the same time with or without SLI any ways, 7nm technology is supposed to be here already next year, it's easier to upgade if you only have one also.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Ciasus said:

i'm working on a new setup with a 9th gen. cpu and for now one 2080ti. But i want to add another in the next summer. the problem is the 9900k has only 16 lanes which means the gpus will only work on 8 lanes. one solution would be to buy the 9900x instead but it performs much worse (due to the lower clock per core in boost). what would you guys choose? in my opinion the gpu performance is much more importent since there are not much cpu releated games out there. which means its importent to let both gpus run at 16 lanes. but i wonder why no one is asking that question. is it that obviosly that the 9900k is better even with 8 lanes per gpu?

benchmark: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/prozessoren/47533-intel-mit-eigenen-benchmarks-zum-i9-9900k-i9-9980xe-und-i9-9900x.html

thanks for help

At 4k the cpu doesn't matter as much and the difference between skylake x and coffelake won't matter. That being said 8x pcie 3.0 is more than enough for a 2080ti especially with the new sli bridge doing alot of the work anyways. 

46 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

2 GPUs is waste of money already by itself.

Intel HEDT platform has always been absurdly overpriced, if you just want a gaming and general usage PC it makes absolutely no sense getting it, it is for specific professional work with software and multi-tasking enough to justify it.

If you want to break the bank on a high end gaming setup, it'll be either the i7 9700K or i9 9900K on a z390 with 16gb of fast RAM and a 2080 Ti.

Personally go for an ultrawide 3440x1440p for it's better immersion in games and actual extended virtual space, 4k has the same virtual space as 2560x1440p, you just get extra 'sharpness' which personally speaking is unoticeable and diminishing at 27~30inchs compared to normal 1440p.

You'll have a PC capable of running every thing max out for years to come, you'll probably want to upgrade your GPU by about the same time with or without SLI any ways, 7nm technology is supposed to be here already next year, it's easier to upgade if you only have one also.

That's strange. I found the difference between 4k and 1440p pretty big at 27inch. I guess it was somewhat combined with hdr which I would argue is alot more immersing than an ultrawide. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 7:40 PM, Ciasus said:

thanks for help

First of all, the new RTX cards run with something called, NVLink. They dont use old SLI technology anymore wich requires one card to be the MASTER, and the rest of the cards(1 card...2 cards, or as many cards as many PCI slots you basically have.Just how the "Master/Slave" configuration works is, where all the cards are given an equal workload to render, but the final output of each card is sent to the MASTER card. (Not Mastercard, see what i did there :D) The new NVLink allows the 2 cards linked to act as ONE CARD, and thats COOL! With NVLink 2 GPU's might be working on similiar workloads but working together and talking to each other. The first GPU might render the first and second frame of the picture and the second GPU can render the third frame.. and the bandwith is so much better! Speeds are multiple times faster! I cant wait when games start using the NVLink technology hard! The lanes wont matter then. You buy i7-9700k and save few bucks. Even games that are CPU intensive games, dont use that many cores and the bandwith lanent matter that much on these clock speeds and core counts. i have the i9-9900k OC:d to 5.0Ghz all cores and im happy with that. Just dont go and buy the frikking 1000 buck CPU just for GAMING PURPOSES!!