Right to Repair

SuperCooling87

Okay, so this article is super old but I saw it and got triggered, so I have a rant. First, here's the article:

https://mashable.com/2017/02/16/right-to-repair-is-ridiculous/#aeO3IZGWlkqz

So first off, I don't see it as a necessity to get the parts from the original manufacturer, but it needs to be illegal to do what apple has done and make it impossible to do repairs on your own. However, after thinking about it a bit, being able to obtain OEM parts at a reasonable cost would be an incredible boost for the tech community. Imagine if you could replace your iPhone 7 screen and keep the IP67 rating. Currently, the only alternative is to buy aftermarket screens that run hot, and malfunction easily. This guy in the article drove me crazy, "Apple and Samsung aren't building these products to be repaired..." Are you serious? 1. They have replaceable parts, making them repairable. 2. They have technicians that are PAID to REPAIR them. How much more repairable  can you get. Now, it can be difficult to do some DIY repairs - I get that. But just because some people have trouble with it, doesn't mean everyone shouldn't have the freedom to do it IF they want. Could you imagine buying a car and being told that you can only fill the tank at authorized stations because there's a proprietary chip that will keep the car from starting if you use another nozzle? That would be absurd, but because of the lack of knowledge of the tech space, people are under the impression that it's more difficult than it actually is to do your own repairs.

Listen to this quote: "I think it’s a fair concern that Right-to-Repair laws could lead to an explosion of Radio Shack-like iPhone and Samsung electronics parts shops. Consumers will wander in with broken iPhone and Samsung Galaxy screens, and walk out with all the parts and tools they need to repair them. And they will fail, miserably." Yes, that would probably happen, and that should be the consumers right, just the same as it's your right to purchase a chainsaw and cut down a tree, when you could slip and cut off your leg. Aaannd my last quote: "Plus, what if a consumer's injured during a failed repair attempt? They slice open a finger on the cracked glass, or put it back together incorrectly, so the battery fails (and maybe even explodes). It’s the consumer’s fault, obviously, but they could also try to sue Apple or Samsung." I'd love to hear Jon from LMG on this. Using my analogy with the chainsaw, you can't sue the chainsaw manufacturer for your own mistake (or stupidity), so you couldn't sue apple for your failure of proper precautions.

Right to repair is an important movement, and it would be foolish to assume that because "some people aren't good at it, it should be illegal for everyone." Stupid people logic bothers me.

7 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

but it needs to be illegal to do what apple has done and make it impossible to do repairs on your own.

Difficult is not the same as impossible. 

8 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

Right to repair is an important movement, and it would be foolish to assume that because "some people aren't good at it, it should be illegal for everyone." Stupid people logic bothers me.

Yes it is, which is precisely why you must watch your rhetoric. This is the response I got from my congressman’s staff:

Thank you for reaching out to our office with this concern. I have conveyed your message to Congressman Lowenthal. We absolutely share your concerns about the risks posed by strict limits on outside repairs—consumers should be protected from high costs and planned obsolescence. Preserving competitive markets and supporting small businesses are equally important goals. At the same time, however, companies like Apple have a reasonable right to protect their intellectual property.

That^ is the stuff politicians are going to give pause over. If you want to advocate for right to repair, you need to make arguments that appeal to the relevant issues. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes it is, which is precisely why you must watch your rhetoric. This is the response I got from my congressman’s staff:

That^ is the stuff politicians are going to give pause over. If you want to advocate for right to repair, you need to make arguments that appeal to the relevant issues. 

Fair point. My first quote from your response was referring to the T2 chip in apple's iMac Pro and MacBook Pro, which in fact makes it impossible to do some repairs on your own (also what I was getting to with the gas station analogy). This is on me, because I should have been much more specific. Thanks for sharing your personal experience with your congressperson. I'd like to see this movement keep growing.

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is a big difference in protecting your intellectual property and then causing harm to consumers by putting strict limits on their availability to get their tech repaired. They just want to have ALL the control over it and in doing so it is hurting consumers. If it is damaged a certain way or you don't use their repair facility etc etc.

The other big problem is that these politicians are going to be pandering to companies like apple. Do you know how much money they donate to these campaigns to keep them on their side.

Rossmangroup

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

46 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Rossmangroup

Rossmann*. With two N.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

33 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

If I cannot repair my device, then who owns the product?

You can currently make repairs to Apple devices. Perhaps not personally, but Apple products are serviceable with the correct knowledge and equipment. 

If they werent 3rd party repair shops would not exist. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

shhhh, the average apple users dont repair their own phones. Nobody repairs their phones anyways. if they are broke, they ARE broke. I dont know what black magic hackery you use to make that crack screen disappear but everyone else should just shell out a couple hundred for apple to repair it which guarantees to work 100%!!!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can currently make repairs to Apple devices. Perhaps not personally, but Apple products are serviceable with the correct knowledge and equipment. 

If they werent 3rd party repair shops would not exist. 

Like how 3rd party shops have been sued over replacement screens, or how Apple uses CBP to stop imports of replacement batteries?

The whole point of right to repair is being able to repair it yourself without the need for expensive proprietary tools.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Like how 3rd party shops have been sued over replacement screens, or how Apple uses ICE to stop imports of replacement batteries?

Which are all bad things. I though it was pretty obvious that I’m for right to repair......

the concerns of my congressman still stand. 

33 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Which are all bad things. I though it was pretty obvious that I’m for right to repair......

Tell your congressman that no automobile manufactures ever complained of intellectual property when their vehicle owners take the vehicle to a repair shop, why should Apple complain about their phones. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 10/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I didn't say you weren't, but i'm not sure how such a defense for Apple can be made while still really being in favor of right to repair. Kinda like still buying JohnDeere equipment even though you have to download hacked software or have your tractor towed off to a dealer because you can't repair it yourself.

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

JohnDeere equipment even though you have to download hacked software or have your tractor towed off to a dealer because you can't repair it yourself.

That makes me want to puke.

Why is it that way?

What is so special about those products that makes anyone want to even consider for a micro second to buy one of those. Its kind of the same thing with newer vehicles, where you have to buy a $2000 set of stuff for a $200 part, like half shaft bearings.