Upgrading from old canon d7

ZihanYu
Go to solution Solved by Cereal5,

I have a Rebel T7i. Takes great pictures, has some crazy number of points for AF, many lenses come with IS (image stabilization, as I'm sure you know), and all your APS-C lenses should fit right onto it. 24 MP. I can post some pictures if you want. I'm definitely no professional photographer, but anyone with a rebel camera isn't lol

Hi guys I bought a canon d7 in 2012 and I am looking for a upgrade with sharper image. A new canon would be great but Sony would fine. Thanks!

I have a Rebel T7i. Takes great pictures, has some crazy number of points for AF, many lenses come with IS (image stabilization, as I'm sure you know), and all your APS-C lenses should fit right onto it. 24 MP. I can post some pictures if you want. I'm definitely no professional photographer, but anyone with a rebel camera isn't lol

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Thanks! That looks like an good choice. I will consider it. No need to bother you with the pic. Thanks a lot again!

38 minutes ago, ZihanYu said:

Thanks! That looks like an good choice. I will consider it. No need to bother you with the pic. Thanks a lot again!

do you mean 7d?

That camera can shoot very good video, its probably a user error or something wrong with it.

What lenses are you using?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you mean 7d?

That camera can shoot very good video, its probably a user error or something wrong with it.

Am using a 20$ lens got in China. It is a 50mm

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you mean 7d?

And it is the old one not the mark ii

4 hours ago, ZihanYu said:

And it is the old one not the mark ii

Yea I have that, makes very good photos and videos. I also have a 5d mk iv. The difference in image quality is very small most of the time.

4 hours ago, ZihanYu said:

Am using a 20$ lens got in China. It is a 50mm

Thats your problem. Get a better lens. THe lens affects image much more than the camera.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea I have that, makes very good photos and videos. I also have a 5d mk iv. The difference in image quality is very small most of the time.

Thats your problem. Get a better lens. THe lens affects image much more than the camera.

Ok thanks, do you have any recommendations for adjustable lenses?

16 minutes ago, ZihanYu said:

Ok thanks, do you have any recommendations for adjustable lenses?

budget?

NOrmally a zoom will have wosre image quality for the same price?

What focal ranges do you want?

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget?

NOrmally a zoom will have wosre image quality for the same price?

What focal ranges do you want?

~50 to ~ 150

look for a used 17-50mm f/2.8 by sigma or tamron, it will be somewhere near that budget.

Under normal circumstances, a zoom might be worse than a prime, ut that is not always the case, especially if you bought the thing for $20.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your not getting a good lens for that much.

Your best hope is the cannon 50mm f1.8.

I meant 50mm to 100mm adjustment or something close

2 hours ago, ZihanYu said:

I meant 50mm to 100mm adjustment or something close

Your camera has a 1.6x crop factor. This means that the 17-50mm lens I talk about above will have an equivalent focal length of 27.2-80mm in 35mm standard.

Now, if it is the case that your own 50mm is your basis of comparison, then I'm afraid I'm not aware of a good enough zoom to recommend for that price point. Sigma used to make a decent enough 50-150mm f/2.8, but that will probably be twice as much at least.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

14 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Your camera has a 1.6x crop factor. This means that the 17-50mm lens I talk about above will have an equivalent focal length of 27.2-80mm in 35mm standard.

Now, if it is the case that your own 50mm is your basis of comparison, then I'm afraid I'm not aware of a good enough zoom to recommend for that price point. Sigma used to make a decent enough 50-150mm f/2.8, but that will probably be twice as much at least.

Ok cool. Are used stuff a good choice?

2 minutes ago, ZihanYu said:

Ok cool. Are used stuff a good choice?

Yes, definitel go used, new stuff for that market segment tends to be dramatically overpriced in comparison.

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

I found this. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6428886495492370459?q=50+to+150mm+canon&safe=active&client=safari&sa=X&hl=en-US&biw=1024&bih=643&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prds=epd:3438327456281745689,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwiOzZDS8_7dAhVDheAKHYlkCjkQgTYIqgU

should I buy it?