Malware Attack Hits Thousands Of Visitors To Yahoo.com

PillowSmoke
Two internet security firms have warned that hundreds of thousands of Yahoo.com visitors may have encountered malware from Yahoo's advertising servers, The Washington Post reports.
In a blog post on Friday, Netherlands-based Fox-IT wrote that it "detected and investigated the infection of clients after they visited yahoo.com." Some advertisements displayed to Yahoo visitors — which are served from ads.yahoo.com – were malicious iframes, hosted on a number of domains, the firm reported.
marissa-mayer-87.jpg

From The Washington Post:

Ashkan Soltani, a security researcher and Washington Post contributor, alerted me to the issue. Often, he says, such attacks are "the result of hacking an existing ad network. But there's another possibility, he says. The culprits may have simply submitted the malicious software as ordinary ads, sneaking past Yahoo's system for filtering out malicious submissions.

The fact that the malware targeted flaws in the Java programming environment is an important reminder that the software has become a security menace. When it was created almost two decades ago, the Java programming language was hailed as a way to make Web sites more interactive. But it has been largely superseded for this purpose by technologies like Flash and JavaScript.

Mark Loman, a security researcher who developed the Hitman Pro anti-malware software, also confirmed the issue on Twitter:

BdDgajkIcAAuqDl.png

The earliest signs of infection were on Dec. 30, but could have been earlier, reports Fox-IT. The firm also updated their original blog post, writing that Yahoo was aware of the problem and "taking steps to fix" it.

We've reached out to Yahoo for comment and will be updating this post if we hear back.

Ranked fourth on the web, Yahoo.com receives 280 million visits and 1.6 billion pageviews per day, according to Alexa estimates.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-malware-attack-2014-1

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Yahoo, lol.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

never gone on yahoo lol

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I thin most people should just know better to NEVER EVER in a million years dare to click an ad...

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I thin most people should just know better to NEVER EVER in a million years dare to click an ad...

But you'd have the chance to win an all expense paid vacation to the Bahamas! Who would want to pass on that?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

But you'd have the chance to win an all expense paid vacation to the Bahamas! Who would want to pass on that?

Good one...

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Wow. It's a good thing nobody uses Yahoo... Except for my parents... Damnit.

Yeah my father uses Yahoo on the PC I use....

Guess I should warn my 50-something mom, then.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

My dad uses Yahoo messenger... Luckily not the website, and not on a pc, but his phone.

Should, but don't unfortunately.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

...Adblock has protected me.

I know people resent Adblock, but it's literally the first thing I install on my browser no matter what. Of course I leave exceptions such as Linustechtips and I have a seperate browser that has Twitch running in the back at lowest mode for ads if I'm watching the livestream, but this is the main reason why I use Adblock.

I know people resent Adblock, but it's literally the first thing I install on my browser no matter what. Of course I leave exceptions such as Linustechtips and I have a seperate browser that has Twitch running in the back at lowest mode for ads if I'm watching the livestream, but this is the main reason why I use Adblock.

It would be best of both worlds if instead of adblock blocking http requests, it would simply modify the CSS of the webpage's ad to display:none or visibility;:hidden. This way, the ad still loads, so Linus still gets paid, but we don't have to see the ad. Granted, someone will have to come up with a different solution for video ads. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I use Yahoo for email, but I think I can say that...

...Adblock has protected me.

adblock-sticker-d4b46f3d40fac6e6f49af67f

and NoScript and WOT.

Why people are still surfing with out these add-ons is beyond me, I guess people want to experience getting viruses and Trojan-ed.

For real, anyone who is on this forum should investigate using AdBlock Plus, NoScript, WOT, Ghostery right after reading this, it will save your proverbial rear ends, and unless you think LTT forums will get what ever you lose by not using it and giving them the supposed ad-revenue you are basically putting yourself in front of the metaphorical moving train.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You should use it everywhere, protect yourself first and if you think they need money send them some cash but don't leave yourself open to an eventual vulnerability.

My reaction when I read this, don't know why.

haha1.gif

Signatures are stupid.

and NoScript and WOT.

Why people are still surfing with out these add-ons is beyond me, I guess people want to experience getting viruses and Trojan-ed.

For real, anyone who is on this forum should investigate using AdBlock Plus, NoScript, WOT, Ghostery right after reading this, it will save your proverbial rear ends, and unless you think LTT forums will get what ever you lose by not using it and giving them the supposed ad-revenue you are basically putting yourself in front of the metaphorical moving train.

Few reasons. I support website and content creators on the internet, and by installing adblock they will miss out on their well deserved revenue. Also, by blocking scripts, you are blocking a central part of the modern web and will (should) enable scripts on most websites anyway, thereby removing the protection they offer (at least I presume that's how noscript works, I've never used it). Ghostery won't help you with anything like this (if I understand it correctly), and means that ads will then be general rather than personalised, which makes the experience worse for you and less profitable for the people who deserve it.

There is very low risk of getting malware on your computer if you are sensible about the sites you visit, don't click on dodgy ads, and have an antivirus on your computer. To help Linus and all other internet content creators eat and keep up what they're doing.

I'm not trying to start a debate (it already seems to have started but anyway), but that attitude is not good for the future of free internet content.

On topic, That's pretty bad, but if it is a java based exploit, modern browsers (I'm aware of this being the case in firefox and I think chrome) require you to manually enable java on a page-by-page basis (or the functionality is coming soon/in beta), so exploits like this will be far less effective and therefore common soon. If IE follows suit.

HTTP/2 203

Few reasons. I support website and content creators on the internet, and by installing adblock they will miss out on their well deserved revenue. Also, by blocking scripts, you are blocking a central part of the modern web and will (should) enable scripts on most websites anyway, thereby removing the protection they offer (at least I presume that's how noscript works, I've never used it). Ghostery won't help you with anything like this (if I understand it correctly), and means that ads will then be general rather than personalised, which makes the experience worse for you and less profitable for the people who deserve it.

There is very low risk of getting malware on your computer if you are sensible about the sites you visit, don't click on dodgy ads, and have an antivirus on your computer. To help Linus and all other internet content creators eat and keep up what they're doing.

I'm not trying to start a debate (it already seems to have started but anyway), but that attitude is not good for the future of free internet content.

On topic, That's pretty bad, but if it is a java based exploit, modern browsers (I'm aware of this being the case in firefox and I think chrome) require you to manually enable java on a page-by-page basis (or the functionality is coming soon/in beta), so exploits like this will be far less effective and therefore common soon. If IE follows suit.

You know you can support your content providers by just subscribing and joining their forums, blogs and what not. You don't have to disable Ad-Block, just clicking on their content is good enough, they keep thinking that ad-block is not counting your view of their content, the site still ads your click to view what ever they're hyping minus the ad if you have ad-block enabled, you just don't see the ad, its click based not ad posted count. As for missing content, yes I miss out on those "GREAT" ads for items I will never buy, wow I'm missing out :rolleyes: yes a great loss to my wallet as my money is over flowing in it since I'm not spending it, first world ad-block activated problems. I have to now find a way to spend my money and the lack of ad brain washing is not going to help me, what will I do?

Your posts add to the overall picture of click counts so keep posting to support LTT but you can re-enable Ad-Block to keep those rouge ad's from ever ruining your computer.

Remember you've been warned so don't complain the day your computer gets infected, just grin and say I support viruses/trojans and identity thieves world wide! Rise your hand for extra credit/effort in you support.

You know you can support your content providers by just subscribing and joining their forums, blogs and what not. You don't have to disable Ad-Block, just clicking on their content is good enough, they keep thinking that ad-block is not counting your view of their content, the site still ads your click to view what ever they're hyping minus the ad if you have ad-block enabled, you just don't see the ad, its click based not ad posted count. As for missing content, yes I miss out on those "GREAT" ads for items I will never buy, wow I'm missing out :rolleyes: yes a great loss to my wallet as my money is over flowing in it since I'm not spending it, first world ad-block activated problems. I have to now find a way to spend my money and the lack of ad brain washing is not going to help me, what will I do?

Your posts add to the overall picture of click counts so keep posting to support LTT but you can re-enable Ad-Block to keep those rouge ad's from ever ruining your computer.

Remember you've been warned so don't complain the day your computer gets infected, just grin and say I support viruses/trojans and identity thieves world wide! Rise your hand for extra credit/effort in you support.

If adblock didn't exist, I predict youtubers would make up to 2x the revenue per view because the ad impressions are higher. And as someone who has done a bit of web deving, I can assure you that advertisers like adsense, which power a lot of the ads on the internet, notably the ads around youtube, work on ad impressions rather than just the page being downloaded, and there are no impressions generated by someone using adblock. Plus is devaluates the value of a view if a lot of people don't truly view it (youtube). Also, while you are helping the channel to gain a bit more popularity by liking/subscribing, that doesn't translate into more money directly - that gets videos from the channel to get higher search rankings, which can eventually turn into the channel gaining popularity and therefore money. Joining the forums geneuinely doesn't help because I don't know if you and your ad-free world is aware, but there are no adverts on this forum. In fact, by posting here you are using up server resources and therefore costing them money, although not much, and yes, it will increase the search engine ranking of the site, but generally people won't come here unless they're looking for it, and it won't drive many more viewers to the channel.

TLDR: Just because a website gets "clicks" doesn't make it money - on the contrary, with adblock enabled, it loses the owner money.

HTTP/2 203

You don't have to disable Ad-Block, just clicking on their content is good enough, they keep thinking that ad-block is not counting your view of their content, the site still ads your click to view what ever they're hyping minus the ad if you have ad-block enabled, you just don't see the ad, its click based not ad posted count.

Wrong. Youtube counts 2 things. The overall views with enabled ads. If you want to learn more about Ad payment you should look at this PDF:

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.youtube.com/de//yt/advertise/medias/pdfs/trueview-onesheeter-en.pdf

The most interesting point is "Pricing Model". It shows that you only get paid for clicks on your ad, watch your whole ad or atleast 30 seconds of it and more.