Which realistic racing games should I try?

Jaok

I want to try out some realistic driving/racing games (because I got tired of playing those casual racing games). Any suggestions?

I don't have a racing wheel tho, only a mouse and a keyboard

iracing 

if you have a wheel 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

15 minutes ago, Vernw3.com said:

iracing 

if you have a wheel 

I don't have one :/

Driving any kind of realistic driving game(simulation) with a keyboard defies the point really. Whereabouts are you? I'n most places you can pick up used Logitech steering wheels for pretty cheap. You won't regret it, it's night and day. I'd suggest looking at priced for either the DFGT, G25 or G27 and see if they're in your budget.

As for the games, they're dependant on what you're after. Strictly structured online racing leagues? iRacing. Incredibly accurate physics, but lacking polish and presentation? rFactor 2. Amazing atmosphere(especially with endurance racing), but lacking in the physics department slightly? Project Cars 2.

Personally, I play Assetto Corsa, which is kind of a mix of the above. It has online but unless you're in an organised group, you're better off with offline AI racing. Looks great, handles nicely when you dial in the force feedback, and has a good range of cars to drive.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

22 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Driving any kind of realistic driving game(simulation) with a keyboard defies the point really. Whereabouts are you? I'n most places you can pick up used Logitech steering wheels for pretty cheap. You won't regret it, it's night and day. I'd suggest looking at priced for either the DFGT, G25 or G27 and see if they're in your budget.

As for the games, they're dependant on what you're after. Strictly structured online racing leagues? iRacing. Incredibly accurate physics, but lacking polish and presentation? rFactor 2. Amazing atmosphere(especially with endurance racing), but lacking in the physics department slightly? Project Cars 2.

Personally, I play Assetto Corsa, which is kind of a mix of the above. It has online but unless you're in an organised group, you're better off with offline AI racing. Looks great, handles nicely when you dial in the force feedback, and has a good range of cars to drive.

It seems like used  logitech g25 steering wheel costs around 150€ here.

25 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

It might be impossible to do on a keyboard, but I'm going to suggest it anyway; DiRT Rally

Asetto Corsa 

Project Cars 2

rFactor 2 - Demo available

Auto Mobilista

Race Room Racing Experience - F2P

iRacing - Subscription base

Dirt Rally - Will drive you nuts but very satisfying

Richard Burn Rally - Only physical copy - Rally school actually taught me lots of things

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

14 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Asetto Corsa 

Project Cars 2

rFactor 2 - Demo available

Auto Mobilista

Race Room Racing Experience - F2P

iRacing - Subscription base

Dirt Rally - Will drive you nuts but very satisfying

Richard Burn Rally - Only physical copy - Rally school actually taught me lots of things

You can get RBR digital... just not... particularly... legally...

I mean, come on, no one even knows who actually owns the IP at this point.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You can get RBR digital... just not... particularly... legally...

I mean, come on, no one even knows who actually owns the IP at this point.

Just go to Amazon, it's pretty cheap.

Tdhvje0.jpg

/s

Tthere's some nice mods you can download too. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The mod scene behind RBR was large last time I looked into it. A surprising amount of people like to torture themselves it seems :D 

I stick to DiRT Rally, that's plenty hardcore enough for me. They still haven't managed to get the tarmac physics feeling right though, losing and gaining grip still feels like an on/off switch, it's not so progressive.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

8 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

The mod scene behind RBR was large last time I looked into it. A surprising amount of people like to torture themselves it seems :D 

I stick to DiRT Rally, that's plenty hardcore enough for me. They still haven't managed to get the tarmac physics feeling right though, losing and gaining grip still feels like an on/off switch, it's not so progressive.

Well DR 2.0 is coming and it's a lot better.

#Muricaparrotgang

Get a wheel if you want to play simulators.

Assetto Corsa and Live for Speed

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

7 hours ago, Underi said:

Live for Speed

Holy shit the game is still alive, i used to tandem drifting with fellow sim racers using mouse and keyboard over a decade ago.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Holy shit the game is still alive, i used to tandem drifting with fellow sim racers using mouse and keyboard over a decade ago.

Same thing with me :D

I bought the G920 a couple of weeks ago and realized that I had bought an S2 license into lfs years ago so I gave it a try and it was surprisingly active still

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

16 hours ago, Underi said:

Same thing with me :D

I bought the G920 a couple of weeks ago and realized that I had bought an S2 license into lfs years ago so I gave it a try and it was surprisingly active still

Yeah, depending on your definition of "active."

I managed to miss the games actual life cycle, but if they started pumping more content into it I might be interested enough to buy in. As it stands though, as much as I hate to say it since I hate the assclowns at Kunos, Assetto Corsa is a better deal.

#Muricaparrotgang

What's wrong with Kunos?

Live for speed is like a cockroach, it refuses to lay down and die, people still play it despite woeful lack of updates and content :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

What's wrong with Kunos?

Live for speed is like a cockroach, it refuses to lay down and die, people still play it despite woeful lack of updates and content :D 

If you like paying 40 euros worth of DLC and 20 euros for the base game to get all the cars available, why not. LFS S2 license costs 27 euros and you get everything for that price.

My stuff:

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Underi said:

If you like paying 40 euros worth of DLC and 20 euros for the base game to get all the cars available, why not. LFS S2 license costs 27 euros and you get everything for that price.

I got the Ferrari Pack mainly for the F312 to partner with the Lotus 49. I recall it wasn't too expensive...But the porsche pack has too many similar cars to be worth the money, It's like Gran Turismo and It's Skylines :D Not to mention the SUV's I definitely wouldn't drive. I already have an annoying amount of Lotus road cars in the base game...

But I lean on carefully selected mods for my content these days. I'm currently trying to master the Nissan Primera BTCC car, it's a handful for sure but the quality of the mod itself is beyond Kunos ❤️ 

If I did decide to buy more DLC, I wouldn't be too burnt by the price. I've gotten a hell of a lot of seat time out of AC. Nothing beats the value I got out of the original rFactor though...probably still my most played game of all time :) 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

15 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

What's wrong with Kunos?

I don't like Kunos because the Dev team are asshats and barely competent. They can't handle criticism or feedback, and Lord Kunos (Which yes, is his user name if you didn't know) comes out to insult his playerbase and ban them from the forums. They were also open to modding which is kind of the biggest thing the game has going for it, but they shut down the mods section on their forum and claimed it was because people were... flaunting their ego or posting unfinished things or something?

It's more like the more prolific modders constantly gave Kunos shit because they don't really know how to do anything properly. They sucked in the audio department, the graphics are basic as they can possible be, physics were constantly questioned, so Kunos just banned people and shut down the forum.

Don't you find it odd that a recent game still actively developed for in 2018 is limited to only 1 source of light, being the "sun"? It's actually a hemisphere gradient with some cloud pictures pasted on it, which is why it looks terrible. Except, turns out that's not actually true since the modding community managed to get working headlights and thus night time racing into the game.

Their audio sucks, even though seeing the equipment they have, as well as using Fmod, it should actually be pretty awesome. They clearly have no idea how to record or use Fmod, with their surround sound support coming late into the lifetime, and it still sucks.

Any time there was an actual prolific driver with real world experience and a fan of the game (I'm talking about pro race/test drivers) they would say that the physics don't really make sense or align with real world values who would then get... unsurprisingly insulted and a likelihood of being banned.

The devs are asshats and barely know what the hell they're doing, as well as being way too quick to insult people who just bought their product. People hated Ian Bell from SMS for pretty similar reasons, but seem to give Kunos a pass for some reason. I just don't like to give incompetent asshats who hate their customer base money.

Or Phil Fish of Fez infamy, everyone hates him too, and he left game development entirely. At least he made a decent game though.

#Muricaparrotgang

21 hours ago, Jonshinki said:

Forza Horizon 3/4

I'd rather not recommend Forza Horizon 3 for PC because its said to not run and constantly crash.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'd rather not recommend Forza Horizon 3 for PC because its said to not run and constantly crash.

FH3 doesn't have PC version?

1 minute ago, Jonshinki said:

FH3 doesn't have PC version?

Naa, it does have a PC version but the PC version has some serious stability issues. 

Either doesn't start or constantly crashes. 

Better get Forza Motorsport 7 instead.

Or Forza Horizon 4.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"