Why you shouldn't have more than one warranty

Extremematt52

Y'all seem to really hate this HN place... Why do you shop there if it's so bad?

Just now, Arika S said:

Must be my local stores, i've never had JB try to up-sell apart from the extended warranty which is denied with one answer, not 15 :)

I should also mention this.

When I went to get my iPad Pro, I wanted to get it via payment plan. Most of the stores insisted I get extended warranty for it or I'll have to pay for the iPad upfront.

Then I found another authorized distributor which allowed me to get the iPad on a payment plan without any BS. Went there, got the thing and went home. No need to haggle or anything.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It's made my MONSTER, the company that used to own beats, it's the fucking best HDMI cable you will ever own.

I think the surge protector thing is more JB Hi-Fi thing.

Just now, Arika S said:

Must be my local stores, i've never had JB try to up-sell apart from the extended warranty which is denied with one answer, not 15 :)

I've never had JB upsell me like that. Only HN and the Good Guys. 

I still own a monster HDMI cable. It's actually pretty good, but I'd never pay extra for it. 

idk

1 minute ago, Extremematt52 said:

Y'all seem to really hate this HN place... Why do you shop there if it's so bad?

One of the bigger electronics retailers in Australia. Like Best Buy levels of common. 

idk

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

My nana was embarrassed and didn't want to say how much she bought her new laptop for. The sticker price was reasonable, but Harvey Norman pressured her to buy all the ad ons. It's just disgusting. They probably charged her like another $500 on ad ons. Harvey Norman is the worst retailer.

Officeworks would probably be one of the better ones, but because there's no comission on the sale items, you cannot get the item any cheaper (apart from price matching).

Good Guys will reduce their commision amount to seal a deal, and they don't do extended warranties, so also a good company. 

4 minutes ago, Extremematt52 said:

because i'm a Masochist apparently

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I think the surge protector thing is more JB Hi-Fi thing.

Half the time when I go to JB Hifi the staff are too busy chatting each other up to notice me. It's only the security guard at the door that stares you down that even acknowledges your existence.

Just realised Rostered On has pulled Season 1 episodes off youtube. Guess it was part of the deal with Netflix.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

One of the bigger electronics retailers in Australia. Like Best Buy levels of common. 

I see, it sounds like Best Buy to me. I just don't shop there because their return policy is shit and they're warranties are crazy expensive.

1 minute ago, Extremematt52 said:

I see, it sounds like Best Buy to me. I just don't shop there because their return policy is shit and they're warranties are crazy expensive.

It pretty much is Best Buy

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

You still buy from Harvey Norman?

Ftfy

Increasing basket size and upselling is how they make their money. It's just like the supermarket puts the milk at the back so you have to walk past everything else in the store to get to it. The cost of the TVs are often "CRAZY DISCOUNT CRAZY PRICE" that they yell about on the TV ads just to get people in to the store and making a purchase, but when you get to the store to buy it they won't leave you alone until you buy a $500 bluray player, a $2000 sound bar w/ surround speakers, 3 HDMI cables for $70 each, and extended, largely useless, warranties for the TV, Bluray player, and soundbar.
Before you know it that 'bargain' $1000 4k TV just cost you $4000.

If this actually happens to you then you’re a spineless individual. I tell those sales people to fuck right off.

I'm sorry, but I have hard time understanding what you mean with 3 warranties and accidental damage warranty. Maybe its the difference between how stuff works in EU/Finland vs US. Here you have 1 warranty per device which you can expand from 2 years to 3-5 if needed. Then you have home and travel insurance with €150 low limit and high limit at what you decide to set it to. Meaning that insurance company handles everything which is caused by accidental damage. If its repairable, they pay for repairs. If its non-repairable, they pay for new device.

While 2 year warranty covers all mechanical, software etc. issues. With laptops you can have business or consumer warranty, depending on lineup. I've had both. Business one is nice as they pickup and deliver at door. Rather than having me take it back to store, or ship it back. Repair times and quality is about same. Mainly because store sends it to authorized repair service anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 9/26/2018 at 12:39 AM, Extremematt52 said:

I actually live in the US. I have 4 warranties on my Laptop through 2022 and it's just that they don't communicate at all so I have to go through the same process even if i'm having the same issue. In this example I have the dell warranty and then the Costco (retailer) warranty. Dell "fixed" the issue then it came up again after my manufacturer warranty expired. So now I don't want to have the retailer do the same repairs and waste my time when I'm in college for pre-medicine and I need a computer to go to school.

just to clarify here, since i sold tech retail, you don't have 2 redundant warranties. 

Dell has a limited manufacturers warranty that covers the device being broken in some way when you got it due to a manufacturers defect. They gave you a bad product

Costco's Warranty covers damage over time due to normal wear and tear as well as any damage caused by you, including accidents. You caused it to be bad

These are two very different things, which is why they overlap usually. if you drop your computer on day 2 and crack the screen, Dell doesn't have to do crap, it was your fault

BUT if there's a defect, that responsibility is Dell's so the costco warranty is going to tell you to call dell since they still cover you for that. It's about each reducing their own costs. It's annoying for the consumer, no doubt, but there's a reason behind the madness

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I am happy I live in Europe with better than EU consumer protection law :)

5 years "warranty" on computer parts that isn't expected to be "wear" part, aka battery (don't know if keyboard is).

So yes, if a GPU in a desktop died without any being the users fault by physically doing something, I could get it fixed/replacement even if it's 3 years old for example. Many people in my country don't seem to know that tho...

Also if you get the same fault 3 times you can get your money back/completely new product :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking