The Age Old Question - GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB?

TheStyne

The Age Old Question - GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. For the same amount of money, which would you prefer(and by that, I mean which should I get)?

• RX 580 8GB
    • GTX 1060 6GB

9_9

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

580 cuz Freesync is cheaper.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

2 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

580 cuz Freesync is cheaper.

I already have a 2400G as my CPU, so I can just use the work around for that, if I ever got a Freesync monitor. 

REMEMBER:

OR

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

4 minutes ago, Fixinit1 said:

I already have a 2400G as my CPU, so I can just use the work around for that, if I ever got a Freesync monitor. 

Until that trick gets banished to the shadow realm by Nvidia

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fixinit1 said:

If you're coming up with arguments against getting a 580, then just get the 1060 lol

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Until that trick gets banished to the shadow realm by Nvidia

Oh yeah, I imagine this glitch will last for about a week. Freesync isn't a huge deal for me right now, but I'll keep it in mind. My biggest problem with AMD cards is their inability to render older DX9 titles properly. The textures in SWBF:II(2004) are extremely messed up on AMD GPUs, and that's the best game of all time, so I'd be a little bummed if I couldn't play it.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Just now, bleedblue said:

If you're coming up with arguments against getting a 580, then just get the 1060 lol

Not tryna make an argument, just thinking out loud. I see pros and cons to both, just seeing what everyone else thinks.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Personally, I'd choose an RX 580 largely based on how much I love Radeon Settings. Most of the games I play are card vendor-agnostic, so that's no big deal.

A GTX 1060 would potentially be a better option depending on the games you play.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I just bought a RX 580 8GB and I must say that at 1080p it does an excellent job. Also you should definitely check out some of the Factory OC'ed versions. 

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, I'd choose an RX 580 largely based on how much I love Radeon Settings. Most of the games I play are card vendor-agnostic, so that's no big deal.

A GTX 1060 would potentially be a better option depending on the games you play.

Oh yes, the radeon settings that come with the drivers are pretty great compared to the Nvidia control panel, which is being slowly eroded anyway.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Fixinit1 said:

Oh yeah, I imagine this glitch will last for about a week. Freesync isn't a huge deal for me right now, but I'll keep it in mind. My biggest problem with AMD cards is their inability to render older DX9 titles properly. The textures in SWBF:II(2004) are extremely messed up on AMD GPUs, and that's the best game of all time, so I'd be a little bummed if I couldn't play it.

Good point... And I think you mean Battlefront II 2005, the OG Battlefront is the one from 2004, it's basically the same gameplay wise but with a different (and IMO pretty darn cool) UI and less content overall.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Good point... And I think you mean Battlefront II 2005, the OG Battlefront is the one from 2004, it's basically the same gameplay wise but with a different (and IMO pretty darn cool) UI and less content overall.

I always get the years between the two mixed up. I have both(In fact, I have every Battlefront game. Pretty big fanxD), and SWBF: II is definitely the better of the two OG Battlefronts.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

If you care about OpenGL, 1060. If not, 580.

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If you care about OpenGL, 1060. If not, 580.

But isn't that something of a trade off, though? 1060 takes the cake in OpenGL, while the RX 580 is better in Vulkan. I don't really know which I would be using most of the time, probably whichever one corresponds to whichever GPU I buy.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Since at this point both card pretty much cancel each other out, i take the prettier card.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The 580 hands down.

It is a tad, just a tad more powerful than the 1060, but you do have the option for Freesync which will extend the life of your card longer than the 1060. Unless you're willing to sell a kidney to buy a G-Sync monitor.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

11 hours ago, Fixinit1 said:

I always get the years between the two mixed up. I have both(In fact, I have every Battlefront game. Pretty big fanxD), and SWBF: II is definitely the better of the two OG Battlefronts.

Facts. My fam has both on PS2 and I have both on PC (as well as the EA/DICE reboots), and Battlefront 2 2005 is the best game overall content and actual stuff to do. Battlefront 2015 is pretty good other than the limited content, and then Battlefront 2 2017 is decent. They added forward rolling and stuff but didn't improve offline stuff at all, campaign was too squished (but hey at least there was one), and I'm basically locked to only 8 guns because I mostly play Assault or Heavy, vs the like 25+ or so in Battlefront 2015 you could choose from.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

- similar Performance.

- GTX 1060 consumes around 120w, RX 580 customs consume around 200w (so, MUCH more power consumption for same performance). Less power = less heat = potentially lower noise. The best RX 580 customs are still louder than the best/better 1060 customs.

- RX 580 has full 8gb Vram, instead 6gb.Usually in 1080p,not an issue. Some games CAN fill 8gb up in 8gb, in often unrealistic Ultra settings (in those cases, you see zero difference between Ultra textures or High textures)

- Freesync monitors are MUCH cheaper, espeicaly if you consider 1080p / 70-75 Hz Models. Available for 130-160 bucks. g-Sync becomes Interesting from 23,8", WQHD, 144 Hz upwards: Dell S2417dg. You can ignore every single 1080p g-Sync monitor - because it's often not much cheaper than the much sharper 1440p Dell.

So yea. Some Pros/cons here, some Pros/cons there.

I would go with 1060 because from my research and personal experience, RX400s and 500s die alot. And THB I didn't notice any difference betweenin FreeSync FreeSync  when I moved from AMD to nVidia card. I still get smooth experience on 80Hz monitor even without FreeSync.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I think I've decided on the RX 580, because on all the RX 580s on Amazon currently have a deal where you get Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Strange Brigade, and Star Control: Origins for free with the purchase of any RX 580, but no free games come with the 1060. That settles it for me, thanks everyone for your opinions. It basically seems to me that you should just buy whichever one is cheaper.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

I voted 1060 purely because it should be better for vr. However, in reading comments I was reminded that freesync monitors are DIRT CHEAP now so I would probably opt for the Rx 580 on second thought for that reason alone.