Question RE: Nvidia Couldn't Stop This...

So in this video Linus mentions using a Ryzen 5 2400G, on his test bench. 

As someone looking into buying a Ryzen 7 2700X, for a new gaming build, am i missing something? 

I mean, why would Linus (who uses the best of tech items) be using a lower graded processor? 

Thanks,

Dragonfyr

Because he had to pass the display output through the iGPU of the 2400G. The 2700x doesn't have an iGPU so it wouldn't work. You need a 2400G or 2200G

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

it has the integrated graphics needed to pull of the freesync trick

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, DocSwag said:

Because he had to pass the display output through the iGPU of the 2400G. The 2700x doesn't have an iGPU so it wouldn't work. You need a 2400G or 2200G

Ahh, ok, So a 2400G or 2200G would be better for a gaming rig than a 2700X? You sure? @DocSwag

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

The 2700X doesn't have an integrated GPU.

You mean the 'APU' thing he mentions? 

Just now, Dragonfyr said:

Ahh, ok, So a 2400G or 2200G would be better for a gaming rig than a 2700X? You sure? @DocSwag

No I'm just saying for the freesync trick you need a 2400G or 2200G. If you're building a gaming rig I would recommend a 2600 TBH

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

You mean the 'APU' thing he mentions? 

APU is AMD's term for their CPUs with integrated graphics. So yeah, that's what he's talking about. Only the G CPUs have integrated graphics and qualify as "APUs"

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

No I'm just saying for the freesync trick you need a 2400G or 2200G. If you're building a gaming rig I would recommend a 2600 TBH

Ok. I get you. Thanks for that. 

May I ask, why a 2600 and not a 2700X? 

Just now, DocSwag said:

APU is AMD's term for their CPUs with integrated graphics. So yeah, that's what he's talking about. Only the G CPUs have integrated graphics and qualify as "APUs"

Ok, thanks :)

Ok. I get you. Thanks for that. 

May I ask, why a 2600 and not a 2700X? 

Because the 2700x costs a lot more and won't give you much of a benefit. I would choose an 8600k, 8700, or 8700k over a 2700x if it's for gaming.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Because the 2700x costs a lot more and won't give you much of a benefit. I would choose an 8600k, 8700, or 8700k over a 2700x if it's for gaming.

Hold up, you would choose an intel i5 over an ryzen 7? Surey more cost = better performance? (Possibly a naive perspective)

Edit: I mean 'I, myself might have that naive perspective'. Incase anyone thought I meant anyone else. It is the interweb! 

2 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

Hold up, you would choose an intel i5 over an ryzen 7? Surey more cost = better performance? (Possibly a naive perspective)

For gaming, I would take an unlocked i5 that I can OC to get the best single core performance which most games rely on, over more cores any day. But I also only really use my PC for gaming and entertainment. If i was streaming or doing workstation tasks also, then I'd consider a Ryzen. Intel still has better performance for gaming over AMD.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Just now, EarthWormJM2 said:

For gaming, I would take an unlocked i5 that I can OC to get the best single core performance which most games rely on, over more cores any day. But I also only really use my PC for gaming and entertainment. If i was streaming or doing workstation tasks also, then I'd consider a Ryzen. Intel still has better performance for gaming over AMD.

but in the end, both options are in the realm of "more than plenty" anyways, unless if we're talking the classic "cpu necked games" where both sides are equally crappy of an experience.

5 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I do like Gaming (Mainly slow pace game, cities skylines (which i know can be cpu intensive), or BF1 / BFV). But I also love to watch movies on my pc, and, i occasionally use Lightroom and Photoshop. 

Man, my head is about to explode. I've spent ages trying to find the best cpu for my build! :@

Thank you though, appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but in the end, both options are in the realm of "more than plenty" anyways, unless if we're talking the classic "cpu necked games" where both sides are equally crappy of an experience.

Head = Blown. haha!

Sorry to all, i'm also in the middle of teaching myself Python, so head is a bit batterred. Specially as i thought i had figured out which cpu to buy! :/ 

I do like Gaming (Mainly slow pace game, or BF1 / BFV). But I also love to watch movies on my pc, and, i occasionally use Lightroom and Photoshop. 

Man, my head is about to explode. I've spent ages trying to find the best cpu for my build! :@

Thank you though, appreciate it. 

Basically, Intel is better for pure gaming because of higher clocks. If you only do light photoshop then go Intel. If you do heavy CPU stuff like higher end video editing, then Ryzen would be better. And even still, I know people who edit for clients in Premiere on MacBook Airs.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Basically, Intel is better for pure gaming because of higher clocks. If you only do light photoshop then go Intel. If you do heavy CPU stuff like higher end video editing, then Ryzen would be better. And even still, I know people who edit for clients in Premiere on MacBook Airs.

I do occasional Premiere work, saying that, the last video i did was a 4k video. 

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

...You know, you've been making a lot of sense out of my posts today. Thanks for the help, lol.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

11 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

I do occasional Premiere work, saying that, the last video i did was a 4k video. 

13 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Not asking for info on a plate here, I don't mind researching this. But would you happen to have or able to point me in the right direction for information relating to work load / gaming / requirements for cpu choices?

Or anyone else, feel free to link info. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dragonfyr said:

Edit: I mean 'I, myself might have that naive perspective'. Incase anyone thought I meant anyone else. It is the interweb! 

Yes. The Ryzen 7 CPU has more cores and threads than the i5, which makes it MUCH better if you can make use of that multi core performance. However, most games can't make proper use of all of those cores and threads. Instead, they prefer the better performance/core that the i5 has.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

1 hour ago, Dragonfyr said:

Even for premiere, I would probably recommend and Intel CPU now. With the recent update, they added iGPU acceleration to Intel CPUs which makes them a fair bit faster than Ryzen CPUs.

56 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

Not asking for info on a plate here, I don't mind researching this. But would you happen to have or able to point me in the right direction for information relating to work load / gaming / requirements for cpu choices?

Or anyone else, feel free to link info. 

Thanks

The two sites I recommend would be anandtech and gamers nexus. Anandtech tends to test a lot of scenarios, and gamers nexus tests some stuff that most sites don't (e.g. streaming benchmarks, and I think they were one of few sites that tested the premiere iGPU update).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

21 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yes. The Ryzen 7 CPU has more cores and threads than the i5, which makes it MUCH better if you can make use of that multi core performance. However, most games can't make proper use of all of those cores and threads. Instead, they prefer the better performance/core that the i5 has.

Even for premiere, I would probably recommend and Intel CPU now. With the recent update, they added iGPU acceleration to Intel CPUs which makes them a fair bit faster than Ryzen CPUs.

The two sites I recommend would be anandtech and gamers nexus. Anandtech tends to test a lot of scenarios, and gamers nexus tests some stuff that most sites don't (e.g. streaming benchmarks, and I think they were one of few sites that tested the premiere iGPU update).

Great reply, thank you. 

So what would be the best Intel CPU for 4k gaming with say, Battlefield V. And everything else i listed? I don't ask much :P 

Also, curious, are you an AMD or Intel user? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Dragonfyr said:

So what would be the best Intel CPU for 4k gaming with say, Battlefield V. And everything else i listed? I don't ask much :P 

If you're gaming at 4k honestly it wouldn't matter that much. CPU bottlenecks reduce as you increase resolution. The higher the resolution, the more likely the GPU will be the bottleneck. Honestly, an R5 2600 would be a solid choice especially seeing as it's quite a bit cheaper than an i5 8400 right now. Side note, what GPU are you planning on buying?

4 hours ago, Dragonfyr said:

Also, curious, are you an AMD or Intel user? 

I own a 6700k, so Intel

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

If you're gaming at 4k honestly it wouldn't matter that much. CPU bottlenecks reduce as you increase resolution. The higher the resolution, the more likely the GPU will be the bottleneck. Honestly, an R5 2600 would be a solid choice especially seeing as it's quite a bit cheaper than an i5 8400 right now. Side note, what GPU are you planning on buying?

I own a 6700k, so Intel

At first il be using my current gpu (Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme Edition 6144MB GDDR5) untill I am able to afford a 1080 ti. That make any difference?

As for CPU. 

1) The R5 2600... head is so battered :/ 

2) I've also heard that I can upgrade the AM4 socket when AMD bring out anything else (which they're meant to?) I don't know.

This has got me so confused now. 

AMD / Intel / £130 cpu / £350 CPU / £400 CPU / £160 CPU, Ryzen for this, this for multitasking, this for gaming. Man, when i chose my current AMD 8350FX, I thought it was the best there was, but I quickly saw it fall out of the top ranks! Am I about to make the same mistake...! :/ 

Current spec: 

Keeping everything in bold

-- Screen1 - Asus VG248 Digital 3D LCD.
-- Screen2 - Dell 17" Wide Screen LCD.
-- Screen3 - Dell 17" Wide Screen LCD.

-- Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme Edition 6144MB GDDR5 (Changing to a 1080 ti, eventually)
-- PSU - 860W Corsair AX860 Full Modular.
-- CASE - CM Storm Trooper Gaming Windowed Case. (Might change case, possibly Cosmos C700P)
-- HDD1 - Crucial 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5".
-- HDD2 - WD 3 TB 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive - Black Edition.
-- HDD3 - External 1TB Western Digital Drive.
-- HDD4 - Internal WD Black Edition 2TB Sata Drive.
-- HDD5 - External WD Passport 4TB.

-- M - Razer Mamba Elite.
-- KB - Cougar 200k.
-- HS - Corsair Void Surround.
-- SOUND SYSTEM - Marantz SR390 Amp.
--- Wharfedale Custom sprayed yellow speakers.
-- NET - Fiber Optic - 73mbps down. 19mbps up. 20ms avg.

-- MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z AMD 990FX.
-- CPU - AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz.
-- RAM - TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB PC3-2133MHz.
-- CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator X6 (This compatible for an AM4 socket? Or just buy a new cooler?)

I keep looking at this reply, thinking it's too much to post to someone on here. But I am so genuinly confused. I just want a nice looking RGB system that can play 4k games and stream to 2 hosts at the same time (OBS > Twitch > YouTube). Occasionally use Photoshop and Lightroom on. And more rarely use Premiere. 

Sorry, @DocSwag

3 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

At first il be using my current gpu (Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme Edition 6144MB GDDR5) untill I am able to afford a 1080 ti. That make any difference?

That just means CPU will probably matter even less for gaming :P

3 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

2) I've also heard that I can upgrade the AM4 socket when AMD bring out anything else (which they're meant to?) I don't know.

AM4 should get new CPUs until 2020. That means that if you buy a Ryzen CPU right now you'll be able to upgrade to a newer CPU in the future without upgrading the motherboard.

4 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

AMD / Intel / £130 cpu / £350 CPU / £400 CPU / £160 CPU, Ryzen for this, this for multitasking, this for gaming. Man, when i chose my current AMD 8350FX, I thought it was the best there was, but I quickly saw it fall out of the top ranks! Am I about to make the same mistake...! :/ 

CPUs are progressing faster with multi core performance now, so it's possible in a few years your CPU will be a bit behind.

4 minutes ago, Dragonfyr said:

I keep looking at this reply, thinking it's too much to post to someone on here. But I am so genuinly confused. I just want a nice looking RGB system that can play 4k games and stream to 2 hosts at the same time (OBS > Twitch > YouTube). Occasionally use Photoshop and Lightroom on. And more rarely use Premiere. 

So it sounds like streaming is a bigger priority than Adobe, correct? In that case I'd be inclined to recommend Ryzen.

Streaming to 2 hosts requires quite a bit of CPU horsepower. Which means I'm kinda inclined to recommend the original 2700/x you were thinking about in the first place xD.

To break it down. Intel CPUs are usually better for gaming. However, at higher resolutions the CPU doesn't matter much. Streaming needs a lot of cores, which makes Ryzen a better choice.

As for Adobe, Intel is usually better because Adobe can use the iGPU to speed things up. However, if streaming is more of a priority I would choose Ryzen. Especially if you're streaming to twitch and youtube. 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler