Are 4k tvs worth it?

EUfseAZ.gif

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

4k tv would be beautiful but i swear most of the channels still dont even use 1080p on foxtel in aus so i don't see the point investing into it especially at the moment. When tv, dvds etc go 4k then it would be great but by then 4k would be muuuuuuuuch cheaper and worth it

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I could see myself using one as a very large digital picture frame to display

high-res images on my wall (I have tons of ridiculously high-res space images

I could use for that :wub: ), but for watching TV/Blu-Rays etc. I don't really

see much use for one at the moment (or maybe ever?).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

With no 4K source I fail to see what the point of being an early adopter to 4K is. While TV may be dead though, TV's are not. They will continue to be the preferred way to "consume" series and movies.

I love these "No tv is dead" choices!

HTPC + Internet TV for the win!  :lol:

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I love these "No tv is dead" choices!

HTPC + Internet TV for the win!  :lol:

That's why i made them. Cause cats love them.  ^_^

If they filmed/showed TV in 4K i would happily buy one.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

There just isn't enough 4K content to justify the high prices of the 4K TVs.

4k monitors? Yes, 4k TV's? No.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

4K TV would be cool but its just like 6 screens on a comp. do you need it no, do you want it yes

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

I don't watch TV or have a decoder box, but I do have a TV as my main screen. It supports 720 full and 1080 with some crappy form of scaling and has a max of 60Hz. All in all it does the job, though the colours bleed a little to much. That being said would I upgrade to 4k if I could afford it, like if I was making hundreds of thousands a month, then sure. In a heartbeat. But as the pricetag is still very steep it isn't fiscally responsible. So I'd rather suggest going for an HD TV, as the ones that are of better quality might drop in price. I either want a giant AMOLED display, IPS display or that new one... the other one, whats it called *snaps fingers*...

Thoroughness rating
#########

4k is only worth it if you're TV is 80in+ I don't know where you live but most Best Buys have a 4k tv playing so you can see the difference.

I wouldn't buy one now, there's no content to watch in 4k on it >.<

As for the future? Ehh, probably not. TV is dead imo

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I don't watch TV or have a decoder box, but I do have a TV as my main screen. It supports 720 full and 1080 with some crappy form of scaling and has a max of 60Hz. All in all it does the job, though the colours bleed a little to much. That being said would I upgrade to 4k if I could afford it, like if I was making hundreds of thousands a month, then sure. In a heartbeat. But as the pricetag is still very steep it isn't fiscally responsible. So I'd rather suggest going for an HD TV, as the ones that are of better quality might drop in price. I either want a giant AMOLED display, IPS display or that new one... the other one, whats it called *snaps fingers*...

The LG 84" Cinema 3D 4k television at the cheap price of 16k.

There's nothing to watch that's 4K anyway...

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I wouldn't mind gaming in 4K, but I don't see anyone easily streaming 4K anytime soon. It will have to be heavily compressed or have super speed internet

Depends on your needs. 32 inch TV monitors as screens are viable for some and not for others. 

I would get one if I were upgrading today on the basis that I only get a new TV every 8 or so years, and by the time 4k content is everywhere, I would still have 4 or so years left on my tv

Well there is the content issues.

It's a great experience depending on how close you want to sit/large tv you want. You would have to sit closer than the "retina" distance of 1080p to get any value from 4k.