Destin Sandlin aka Smarter Every Day needs your help, LTT

GER_T4IGA

https://twitter.com/smartereveryday/status/1043578289288355841

I just wanted to make the community aware that Destin sandlin from smarter every day has tweeted at linustechtips for help with his storage situation and I would love for you to here and help him.
@LinusTech@Slick I hope you two are the appropriate guys to tag here ;) Would love for you to pick this up :) 

If you don't know smarter every day, Destin makes videos about what ever he likes explaining interesting phenomena and the science behind them often using a highspeed camera to capture all kinds of things at thousands of frames per second generating gigabytes upon terabytes of footage. He also seems to have a pretty messy collection of different drives in his arsenal from what I can tell from his twitter post.

I would like to hear the communities opinion on this as I am in no position to demand anything but i would love for this to get some traction.
I will also purposely not advertise his channel here. If you really care, please look him up on Youtube. Some of you might already know him too.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Yep, I love his videos.. one of the few tubers around that I can stand to watch for a time. He seems very self aware, and considerate, just a generally nice guy.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'm just guessing, but I think that's more of a confirmation that LTT is going to make a video about helping Smarter Every Day. I don't think he would ask for help that way. Just my guess. 

:)

He should get Intel Optane /s

now seriously, getting a few 14TB drives and a 2u case would still be cheaper than buying 50 of those external monstrosities

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh wow, I wonder what's the size per second of Phantom slowmo footage O_O

from memory it's around 12GB/s

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

wow that's not trivial o_o 1TB is probably 82 seconds of footage

keeping the guessing game going: from the multiple take nature of filming, a 1TB disk might run out after 14(....?) video projects? less if there are multiple slowmo targets in the project/video

well it has to write directly to RAM. so depending on which camera you get, at max resolution and speed, you're only able to record for roughly 10 seconds at a time (for the top tier one), though i think the one Destin has is the mid range model, you're looking at 4-5 seconds before the camera is full and the footage needs to be offloaded

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'll be honest, I'd love to see linus and destin do a video together simply so I can say linus has visited my city.

Yes! make a video on storage solutions right after I get my External drive. 

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

or maybe linus's lambo being blown up in slowmo!

And a collab with Demolition Ranch so that they can shoot it then blow it up, but I don't think that'll be easy cause they both live in different states, afaik

Please 45 drives and seagate we need another petabyte project all tho this one should hold a petabyte not be a petabyte worth of drives. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs