How do populair youtubers react to fans wanting to say hi or get a signature?

What the title says, I can imagine that that happens quite a lot.

How do YouTubers react to that.

e.g. Linus is walking in a mall, and you know him, do you say hi or not?

Very off topic I know, that's why it's in this section. ;)

Well not to brag, but I have over 100 subscribers. Personally, I would find it annoying and probably come off as rude trying to ignore them.

Personally I would give them privacy. They have a life. Let them live it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If opportunity presented, I might say hello...but that's about it. I don't think I would really go out of my way. I don't really understand the whole fandom thing. They're just another person in a world full of people.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Depends on the person. Some have publicly stated if you see them in public That your more than welcome to come say hi unless they're at a restaurant eating dinner with family or something. 

Though if you do say hi, I would recommend just saying "hi (name) love your stuff" and just keep walking don't fan out with "oh my god, oh my god, it's (name), I love you and everything you do,I watch everything you do" etc, that's just weird

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As long as you’re polite it’s fine to ask anyone. 

These people, especially YouTubers (Still don’t like this term tbh) rely on their userbase for a large chunk of their revenue. 

Anyone who disregards a fan when they rely on them, you probably don’t want their signature.

Pretty much everyone I know is cool with it, but prefers when fans/viewers are respectful of their time/privacy. Remember, you don't actually know these people and even if you feel like you do, they don't know you, so you have to imagine how you'd feel about a total stranger approaching you in that situation when you're trying to figure out if it's ok to approach. 

Ideal

Fan: Hey, love your work. Thanks! 

YTer: Thanks so much for watching! I couldn't so it without you. 

Fan: *keeps walking*

Also Fine:

Fan: Hey love your work. Can I get a selfie

*YTer is not in the middle of something or in a hurry*

YTer: Sure, no problem. 

*Fan has camera app already open and finger on shutter, doesn't act creepy or put arm around unless the YTer makes the first move*

Fan: Thanks! 

YTer: No problem! 

*fan leaves and doesn't linger awkwardly*

There are notable exceptions to this. When I'm "on shift" - like if I'm making an appearance for a sponsor or hosting a meet up, the only real rules are that you need to be respectful of other attendees who also want to come get their phone case signed or whatever. 

It's all about what makes sense in the particular situation. 

I work in the music industry and see this sort of thing a lot.  It's amazing what these pop stars give up to become famous.  Stars that I've worked for can't even walk down the street without being asked for photos and hugs etc.  It's such a tremendous price to pay for stardom and it seems Youtube stars are going the same way and with the global reach of Youtube you may be more famous than pop stars soon.

I've worked countless gigs with these so-called Youtube music stars and the young fans are starstruck when seeing them mime on stage.

Its just important to respect peoples privacy and let them get on with their life.  There is a saying "never meet your heroes."  The amount of times I've worked with someone who in the press seems like a really cool guy but turns out to be an arrogant pain in the behind is ridiculous.  

16 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Pretty much everyone I know is cool with it, but prefers when fans/viewers are respectful of their time/privacy. Remember, you don't actually know these people and even if you feel like you do, they don't know you, so you have to imagine how you'd feel about a total stranger approaching you in that situation when you're trying to figure out if it's ok to approach. 

Ideal

Also Fine:

*Fan has camera app already open and finger on shutter, doesn't act creepy or put arm around unless the YTer makes the first move*

There are notable exceptions to this. When I'm "on shift" - like if I'm making an appearance for a sponsor or hosting a meet up, the only real rules are that you need to be respectful of other attendees who also want to come get their phone case signed or whatever. 

Really nice but that’s dependent on the culture. To use two contrasts here in NZ it’s not uncommon to say hi to just about anyone, like at the supermarket checkout or chat up a stranger on the bus, whereas Germans don’t talk or smile that much at all, and I’ve known some Dutch to dislike the small talk. 

To put this in perspective for a similar situation it’s not to uncommon to have a nice yarn with a politician when you see them. I’ve had chats about petrol prices with the last prime minister of New Zealand and had good go at beer pong with former prime minister John Key. These where when they were in office.

Its all attitude, like if you’re polite and not a mad dong about it, it’s cool.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, LinusTech said:

Ideal

Also Fine:

Cool, thanks for your reply. I understand that YouTubers are still people with a life, so they don't want a whole conversation with everyone who watches their channel.

BTW. I love your work, it's sort off part of my daily life. ;)

On 9/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, RorzNZ said:

Really nice but that’s dependent on the culture. To use two contrasts here in NZ it’s not uncommon to say hi to just about anyone, like at the supermarket checkout or chat up a stranger on the bus, whereas Germans don’t talk or smile that much at all, and I’ve known some Dutch to dislike the small talk. 

To put this in perspective for a similar situation it’s not to uncommon to have a nice yarn with a politician when you see them. I’ve had chats about petrol prices with the last prime minister of New Zealand and had good go at beer pong with former prime minister John Key. These where when they were in office.

Its all attitude, like if you’re polite and not a mad dong about it, it’s cool.

"Dutch to dislike the small talk." I completely understand you, I'm Dutch(but live in Canada) and completely recognize that some people try to avoid it. Even though we generally don't have a super busy life.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:21 AM, RorzNZ said:

These people, especially YouTubers (Still don’t like this term tbh) -snip-

I mean, a term that's becoming more widely used at least officially, is 'Influencers'. And I suspect that you'd find that even less appealing :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

4 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

I mean, a term that's becoming more widely used at least officially, is 'Influencers'. And I suspect that you'd find that even less appealing :D 

Oh cringe. Like really just get a real job. Linus etc diversifies and get way more dough 

Or you could pull an Eminem and say “go away. I don’t care who you are. You’re annoying!” 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Oh cringe. Like really just get a real job. Linus etc diversifies and get way more dough 

Oh I have nothing against what people do, being on Youtube, social media etc is a legitimate career path these days, but the title of influencer is garbage for sure.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Oh I have nothing against what people do, being on Youtube, social media etc is a legitimate career path these days, but the title of influencer is garbage for sure.

A career is a pathway, not luck 

On 9/23/2018 at 1:55 AM, LinusTech said:

Ideal

Also Fine:

Coming up behind him and stroking his hair suddenly is also fine 

It's what people do to me so it must be 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i think it depends on the youtuber as a person and what they are comfortable with. And in lieu of knowing that for the first time, i'd stick to what Linus suggested 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

39 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

A career is a pathway, not luck 

You can take a small bit of luck and turn it into a very lucrative career, if you have smarts to back yourself up. Are you condemning all content creators that don't come from a professional background like Linus did? 

Sure there are people on YouTube where I question if they're worthy of their 'fame'. But there are plenty of other examples too, the kind of content creators I watch have done a good job of capitalising and expanding on whatever opening or audience they're in, and deserve their current position just as much as someone on a 'traditional' career path. 

...I continue to hate the term influencer though :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀