Is an SSD worth it?

MrMiniBeast

I currently have a WD Caviar Green 1TB my uncle gave me (he only uses SSDs now.)

What I'm wondering is whether it'd be worth it for me to upgrade to an SSD, probably a Samsung 840 120GB.

I was thinking if i did it'd be no more htan 128 GB, just for my OS and a few games.

What are the effects of an SSD? If it doesn't really help gaming I'm not that interested.

Thanks.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Computer boots and loads stuff faster. In games you'll load levels faster but not really any performance gains

Than I think I'll wait on it. Thanks.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

MrMiniBeast

Depends how many loading screens there are in the game. Something like Skyrim is for me unplayable without a SSD, but something like AC4 will be work fine on a HDD :) Although your HDD is particulary slow :( Never liked the Green drives :/

Short answer: Get a Samsung EVO drive (best drive when it comes to performance per dollar) 250 GB drive. The speeds are cut in half under 250 GB on SSDs so I would always go for the 250 GB version :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

A switch to a SSD from a WD Green would make a huge difference.

I personally have a SSD for windows,certain games and programs

and a 1TB WD Black for my other games and unimportant programs

I'll think about it, but does everybody agree that a 250gb would be the way to go?

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

As far as gaming goes, they will load faster. That's the only benefit an SSD will give you for games. If you play BF4 MP, it'll benefit greatly from having an SSD.

I agree that 250GB is the way to go.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Does a bear crap in the woods?

Yes, an SSD is among the best upgrades you can make. I'm not even using a particularly fast SSD (Kingston SSDNow V300) and it's remarkable how much quicker my computer is, especially since my hard drive was getting over halfway full.

You don't really need a 250 GB SSD, but if you have the money, it makes a much bigger difference because it's so much easier to have games on that drive rather than having to create a junction. That's what I had to do when I want certain games to have the speed increase.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

to keep things simple it will make things load faster/boot faster but does it make software any better? no. for the avg user its not worth it but for someone with money to blow sure why not. 

Short answer: Get a Samsung EVO drive (best drive when it comes to performance per dollar) 250 GB drive. The speeds are cut in half under 250 GB on SSDs so I would always go for the 250 GB version :)

Prices vary from region to region and the ssdnow v300 is usually the best when it comes to performance for the dollar, not the 840 Evo.

I'll think about it, but does everybody agree that a 250gb would be the way to go?

I personally think 120GB is plenty. 250GB is good if you're certain you need to put your games on it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Go with the most space you can afford if you've got a lot of games you like to play, videos/photos for editing, or have large files you work on. Otherwise I personally run an Intel 330 Series 180GB and a Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD in both my desktop and laptop, respectively. They're configured each with a 60GB Windows partition for my common programs, such as Adobe CS6, web browser, music player, Office, etc. and I have the remaining storage left open for whatever I need. On the desktop this isn't a big deal as I've got 7200RPM Black Edition WD drives for the large games although it still boots WAY faster than a tradition computer, but for the laptop it's a big difference (between night and day) with bootup and game loads.

Footnote: Partitioning your single boot drive does not prevent data loss in the event of a failure, and I do not recommend using it as a means of backup. What it is good for is keeping your OS and registry separated from the rest of your programs and files, so that if when Windows decides to bog down, you can simply reinstall it onto the 60GB SYSTEM partition, and leave the data alone.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Prices vary from region to region and the ssdnow v300 is usually the best when it comes to performance for the dollar, not the 840 Evo.

That's because it's an SSD and it's the cheapest one. For $10 more, the boost in performance might be worth it. It isn't the difference between two graphics cards. That said, the SSDNow V300 is a fantastic value; I even found mine on sale for $60 on Amazon once.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I got a 64gb Vertex 4 a year ago and that has made my computer faster overall. I also switched from an old 320gb Caviar Green drive. The speed of that shit was unbearable.

I'd get an SSD for sure.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

That's because it's an SSD and it's the cheapest one. For $10 more, the boost in performance might be worth it. It isn't the difference between two graphics cards. That said, the SSDNow V300 is a fantastic value; I even found mine on sale for $60 on Amazon once.

I've used a good number of ssd's. The difference between the ssdnow v300 and the majority of the good ssds are pretty much unnoticeable under normal circumstances.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've used a good number of ssd's. The difference between the ssdnow v300 and the majority of the good ssds are pretty much unnoticeable under normal circumstances.

Huh, that's good to know. Although when you're a speed freak, every second counts.

Of course, we aren't talking $6000 overkill water cooled computers with dual Titans.

EDIT: Of course, if he does go with 240-256 GB, the 250 GB 840 Evo is a better value than the SSDNow V300, which has 240 GB. On Amazon, the former costs less.

You definitely won't regret going with an SSD. I'll never go back to an HDD for the os/program load.
If you have the money, 250gb for sure. It's only $60 more than the 120gb drive.

Remember when you go with a better drive it's not only speed but also reliability is usually increased.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

yes.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Owning an SSD is like owning a ferrari, they are expensive but so fast they blow your mind..

BUT beware, once you go with a boot ssd, you'll never go back to a boot HDD

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Owning an SSD is like owning a ferrari, they are expensive but so fast they blow your mind..

BUT beware, once you go with a boot ssd, you'll never go back to a boot HDD

That's like saying "Beware, once you buy an umbrella, you will never want to walk out in the rain without one again." :P

I can't emphasize how necessary an SSD is at this point. I would go as far to say as it's a prerequisite. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a 60 GB SSD, but if you ever are strapped for cash, you can just grab one of those to install Windows on and you two will have a beautiful relationship. And children.

That's like saying "Beware, once you buy an umbrella, you will never want to walk out in the rain without one again." :P

I can't emphasize how necessary an SSD is at this point. I would go as far to say as it's a prerequisite. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a 60 GB SSD, but if you ever are strapped for cash, you can just grab one of those to install Windows on and you two will have a beautiful relationship. And children.

True, but having two systems, and only one  ssd powered is a cringe everytime, i can tell you that from my experience

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

True, but having two systems, and only one  ssd powered is a cringe everytime, i can tell you that from my experience

That's horrible. I can't even imagine not using a computer without an SSD now unless the hard drive was right-out-of-the-box new.

That's horrible. I can't even imagine not using a computer without an SSD now unless the hard drive was right-out-of-the-box new.

Behold the speeds of a 5400 rpm hitachi laptop drive in a fully featured system that is an htpc,homeserver,gameserver, guest pc and many more

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS