Should i use my computer anymore

Mattk13

so... a few months ago i had a issue with my computer where i needed to replace the motherboard and i had to take out the CPU and i cleaned off the old thermal paste and i forgot to put the new stuff on and its using a tiny tiny amount that was left on the heatsink while playing games my fps drops by 20 over a hour of use cause of the lack of thermal compound but this is usually what it is at without gaming

can i still use my computer or no

Temp.PNG

Just now, Mattk13 said:

so... a few months ago i had a issue with my computer where i needed to replace the motherboard and i had to take out the CPU and i cleaned off the old thermal paste and i forgot to put the new stuff on and its using a tiny tiny amount that was left on the heatsink while playing games my fps drops by 20 over a hour of use cause of the lack of thermal compound but this is usually what it is at without gaming

can i still use my computer or no

Temp.PNG

it goes a bit higher around 45 max 50 but when gaming i saw it get to 65

6 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

it goes a bit higher around 45 max 50 but when gaming i saw it get to 65

65 C isn't that high, but it should be cooler. Reinstalling the cpu with new thermal paste is your best bet, and you can use your pc even without reapplying thermal paste 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Not having thermal compound isn't going to destroy your CPU, but you really should have some. If you do, then before you apply it, you should completely clean off the older thermal compound from both the heatsink (the part where it touches the CPU) and the IHS with some isopropyl alcohol before adding the new stuff. You should probably do this with a microfiber cloth, but even a paper towel or a ball of cotton can do it as long as you don't leave anything on the surface.

As for temperatures, 65 degrees C is safe.

The cpu of my laptop reaches 85°C regularly which is hot but still fine. The max. temp for intel cpus is 100°C

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

The cpu of my laptop reaches 85°C regularly which is hot but still fine. The max. temp for intel cpus is 100°C

damn thats hot do you keep it in silent mode or something thats hot even for a laptop I wouldn't be ok with any of mine running that hot not even my MacBook is allowed to run that hot I put a fan controller on it to keep it under 70*max it gets it into the 60s usually. heat is what kills everything in a laptop. 

1 hour ago, jonrosalia said:

damn thats hot do you keep it in silent mode or something thats hot even for a laptop I wouldn't be ok with any of mine running that hot not even my MacBook is allowed to run that hot I put a fan controller on it to keep it under 70*max it gets it into the 60s usually. heat is what kills everything in a laptop. 

I manually lowered the fan speed because it would be too noisy. The laptop is from 2012 which means I don´t plan to use it much longer. So whatever.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

How is this a thread? A tube of paste costs less than a fast food dinner. Swap in some paste, nerd.

i asked if its safe to run my computer not if i can get a tube nerd.

1 hour ago, Mattk13 said:

Its safe! the i3 isnt that hot

the cpu will underclock itself if overheated. (I had an i5 running at 80C idle for 2 years and I didnt notice)

so you cannot find some thermal paste yet, just use toothpaste instead for the moment, works amazingly well

10 hours ago, Mattk13 said:

:DDDDDDD "Nerd" :DDDDDDDDDDD Do you actually think calling someone nerd on tech forum is insult? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

On more serious side, you are fine up to 80C. I would still recommend getting proper paste and restraining from heavy tasks while waiting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

:DDDDDDD "Nerd" :DDDDDDDDDDD Do you actually think calling someone nerd on tech forum is insult? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

On more serious side, you are fine up to 80C. I would still recommend getting proper paste and restraining from heavy tasks while waiting.

Right!  I fancy myself a Nerd Warrior.  I have almost always gotten along with any nerd I have ever run into.  Its the other types that are iffy.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 9/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, jonrosalia said:

That's actually pretty normal for a newer laptop. 100 degrees celcius is thermal junction on most newer Intel chips. Most newer laptops are inadequately cooled due to weight and size constraints.

Good luck finding anything newer that stays under 70 degrees.

18 hours ago, markr54632 said:

That's actually pretty normal for a newer laptop. 100 degrees celcius is thermal junction on most newer Intel chips. Most newer laptops are inadequately cooled due to weight and size constraints.

Good luck finding anything newer that stays under 70 degrees.

I built this ivybridge i5 MacBook for work recently and its really all I need for mobile I don't understand the need for super thin  laptop computers with a i9 and a 1080ti in it .personally I see the 100*c T junction as a last resort had a pentium dual core laptop that used to hit it and its panicking at that point and you get terrible performance out of hardware over 70-80*  any computer its worrying about thermal overhead and throttling instead of getting the tasks done.