Optane + SSD

SugarTe
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Can you

Yes

Would it make any sense(fast)

basically no. The difference is tiny and you probably won't even notice it.

If you really want faster and got money to burn get a 900p and make that your boot drive, but really its not worth it.

I have a 500 gb Samsung 860 evo, (2.5 in) an dam thinking of dropping around 100$ on a stick of optane. Would that be wise? will it make applications open faster? (don't overly care about making the OS run faster) 

Thanks!

Can you

Yes

If you really want faster and got money to burn get a 900p and make that your boot drive, but really its not worth it.

@Electronics Wizardy is right on all accounts. i just wonder if its even necessary. would shave mere seconds (ish) off of load times so you should spend it on other things like.... anything.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you

Yes

1 minute ago, Acid Panda said:

@Electronics Wizardy is right on all accounts. i just wonder if its even necessary. would shave mere seconds (ish) off of load times so you should spend it on other things like.... anything.

Thanks guys! Yeah I think ill not get it. 

18 minutes ago, SugarTe said:

I have a 500 gb Samsung 860 evo, (2.5 in) and am thinking of dropping around 100$ on a stick of optane. Would that be wise? will it make applications open faster? (don't overly care about making the OS run faster) Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you?

Yes.

Would it make any sense(fast)?

No, it would not be wise. Even a SATA based SSD is more than double the speed of the fastest HDD on the consumer market.

Optane modules are good in ONE situation and ONE situation only: You're buying 10, 20, or 30 (a bunch of) PC's for a small office that only need to do basic tasks, but want their boot up and application launch times to be fast. They'll come with i5 CPUs, 8GB RAM, and a 500GB 7200RPM drive. Users still need the local HDD space because your IT department for some reason failed to setup a centralized Windows Storage server, even though they use Azure AD for user authentication, yet somehow know what Optane is and can fit it into the budget.

Additionally, the manufacturer of these PC's doesn't have a configuration allowing you to order them with SSDs from the factory because they don't understand how to provide customer service through user choice, or maybe again, it comes down to budgetary concerns where full sized 500GB SSDs aren't an option. While this small company's IT firm could replace all the HDD's with SSD's, it would be more cost effective in labor to just swap in an Optane module and configure a single system image before deployment. 

For home users though, in 99.99% of cases, you either want to upgrade to a SATA SSD from a boot HDD, or bump up to an NVMe SSD if you really need the IOPS for intensive media editing or content creation purposes. Otherwise, Optane is a complete waste of money IMO, especially with the configuration pitfalls that come with any software based acceleration solution.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)