Intel 14nm shortages, HPE recommending AMD Epyc as alternative to Intel's Xeons

muskie

Intel's 14nm processes are suffering from supply shortages, affecting both Consumer and Enterprise markets across their 14nm SKUs.

On the consumer side, this is affecting pricing of Intel's 8000 series CPUs, and may even affect the upcoming Intel 9000 series release

The first signs of a shortage of Intel's 14nm processors is emerging in the form of increasing prices, spotty availability for some processors, unavailable chipsets and complaints from Intel's partners. These concerns come after Intel has acknowledged production issues and is poised to launch its new 9000-series processors, though it's becoming more likely that we'll see a repeat of last year's quasi-paper launch.

Interestingly, HPE has published a partner update (which appears to have been published publicly) mentioning their ongoing supply issues with Intel's 14nm Xeons that have been impacting availability across some SKUs.

Supply continues to be dynamic and constrained on specific SKUs, but HPE teams are working with Intel to drive additional supply with significant recovery being forecasted in September and October.

Part of this update includes recommendations on alternative models that feature the AMD epyc line of processors as an alternative to the Intel Xeon lineup

Recommending alternative platforms such as the ProLiant DL325 Gen10 and ProLiant DL385 Gen10 servers based on AMD EPYC processors.

I'm quite surprised that Intel would have issues such as this on a released product? We aren't talking about the market requesting new 10nm, which Intel have already outlined is delayed.

With that being said, there's discussions that this is related to changes in the 10nm production timeline, which is impacting 14nm production 

It seems like Intel is dropping the ball on this, with AMD more than happy to pick up the slack. 

With this + AMD are already testing their 7nm Epic chips (to be released in Q1'19), together with the recent drama surrounding performance drops across Intel microcode updates (ie: Spectre et al.), could this be a turning point in the enterprise space?

Sources:

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2018/09/07/intel-cant-supply-14nm-xeons-hpe-directly-recommends-amd-epyc/

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/14nm-processor-intel-shortage-9000-series,37746.html

14nm is a super mature process at this point, so shortage probably means Intel is printing money.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

it's getting competitive, which is good for everyone, but it's not a turning point by any means, it's not like Intel is sitting on their ass and doing nothing like AMD did since 2011 until Ryzen...

they are only blowing punches at each other at this point, and that's how it's supposed to be, no one should be king

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

12 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

14nm is a super mature process at this point, so shortage probably means Intel is printing money.

I believe it had to do with transitioning stuff to 10nm IIRC. Could be wrong.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

49 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

shortage probably means Intel is printing money

I'm sure profits at Intel would be healthy — but if they concede to a competitor, this can begin the process of eroding their dominance in the space, particularly in the Enterprise / DC space.

40 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

It's getting competitive, which is good for everyone, but it's not a turning point by any means, it's not like Intel is sitting on their ass and doing nothing like AMD did since 2011 until Ryzen...

Intel's benefited from being the "standard" in most x86 based DCs — if it comes to be that AMD is a viable option in Price, Performance and Availability, that standard will begin to erode and the lines in terms of OS / Software compatibility (WRT enterprise hardware / cloud based systems).

AMDs Epyc's current drawbacks would be it being a relatively recent entry in the space and power draw. AMD's matured alot and this will continue to be the case, with power draw to be improved in their 7nm process.

Per core performance is one area that can be argued — but more cores are generally preferred in the enterprise / business space due to larger applications of multi-core capable use cases

35 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I believe it had to do with transitioning stuff to 10nm IIRC. Could be wrong.

Yep — it would appear that like the delays in 10nm have impacted production volume of 14nm, with Intel currently handling both 14nm and 22nm currently,  but still needing to work on 10nm — i don't have a source for this, but im sure this could be located out there.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Or possibly that they've fallen soo far out of favour with intel that intel won't supply to meet HPE needs.

(Fans the wild flames of gossip)

4 hours ago, syn2112 said:

it's getting competitive, which is good for everyone, but it's not a turning point by any means, it's not like Intel is sitting on their ass and doing nothing like AMD did since 2011 until Ryzen...

AMD was not sitting on their asses all those years. They were working hard to R&D Zen cores.

It didn't happen suddenly, it just wasn't visible to us the public.

Speculation: no manufacturer wants to have a warehouse of product it may or may not sell. They have to predict what they need, and when. It may be as simple as HPE got in a big order for certain parts that wasn't forecast, and as such there is a shortage. These products aren't something you can just turn the tap on and have a bunch of extra ones ready to ship in the near term.

HPE recommending AMD as an alternative is in part, if they can't sell what they want, sell them something else rather than risk the customer looking at other suppliers.

Out of interest, how big are HPE these days in the enterprise space? 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's probably a combination of transitioning some to 10nm and having too many products on 14nm. 

Pretty much everything they make is made on 14nm and I mean everything. All CPUs, all chipsets and a lot of their networking stuff is also on 14nm (at least their modems are). Their FPGAs are probably on 14nm too. It's bound to cause problems when they have limited capacity.

so basically a company is recommending the only alternative as an alternative because one of them is currently short on supply. And for some reason this warrants an article?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

So intel thinks AMD zen's are too price competitive hence they create a fake 14nm shortage to hike the prices a bit

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

so basically a company is recommending the only alternative as an alternative because one of them is currently short on supply. And for some reason this warrants an article?

Its intel...you should know by now that everyone want to bash intel for every move.

" Intel's recent 300-series chipset refresh found its new chipsets coming to market with the 14nm process, which is necessary to meet California's new power standards "

What is this law about?How much power could a chipset draw?

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

" Intel's recent 300-series chipset refresh found its new chipsets coming to market with the 14nm process, which is necessary to meet California's new power standards "

What is this law about?How much power could a chipset draw?

Knowing California, it's probably some dumb ass thing that they have to follow because reasons.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I don't trust anyone who refuses to link their source while making absolute statements concerning the issue and then posts this as the only quote:

“Supply continues to be dynamic and constrained on specific SKUs, but HPE teams are working with Intel to drive additional supply with significant recovery being forecasted in September and October.”

I'm sorry but that does not say in "no uncertain terms" that Intel cannot supply Xeon's, in fact it says the exact opposite and that HPE will be fully restocked in 6 weeks. 

So please until we have some sort of actual confirmation that Intel have supply issues can we stop with the BS about faked shortages and pricing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

So please until we have some sort of actual confirmation that Intel have supply issues can we stop with the BS about faked shortages and pricing.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180910PD210.html

Don't know how credible Digitimes are, but that is some shortage if true.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible