why does no company ever do this?

Ashleyyyy

why doesn't everyone include an option to go back to an older design when a new design gets released?

i hate the new chrome design and would much rather have the old one back... 

She/Her

It wastes money and time to keep up many different versions of the same thing, and making sure that everything works.

But chrome has skins, so im sure that there is a old chrome skin out there.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

"no company"

Most steam games allows you revert back to earlier versions.

Also you can probable download an old version somewhere. Or revert somewhere

Have you heard about Firefox?

Firefox on androids is still shit but yeah.

Magical Pineapples

To be completely fair, Google does allow to go back to previous version of Gmail. So there's that...

Anyway, you will get used to like, just like people got used to YouTube

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Also you can probable download an old version somewhere. Or revert somewhere

i'd like to have the latest security updates and everything though...

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

But chrome has skins, so im sure that there is a old chrome skin out there.

i've tried installing a few themes that had the old design in the picture on the chrome web store, but doing that only changes the colours on the new design

1 minute ago, EMC said:

yes i have.  it's a slow buggy mess in my experience. the last time i used it was when firefox quantum first came out, it was slower than chrome and a lot of extensions for it suddenly didn't work anymore because they didn't run on quantum... just a mess. 

2 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

To be completely fair, Google does allow to go back to previous version of Gmail. So there's that...

Anyway, you will get used to like, just like people got used to YouTube

ok fair enough, but this design is just worse... i can't easily see what tab is activated. 

She/Her

If they changed the interface there may be a reason beyond just aesthetics - some new things may not work with the old interface and backporting them takes time and money that they may not want to invest.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let me tell you something about design my friend

Design is not about function or what makes you the user happy. If that were the case anything that served any kind of functional importance would still be skeuomorphic probably. 

"User Experience" isn't about what the user wants, it's literally the "user experience" they want to give you. 

Interfaces are designed in a way to obfuscate some things and makes others more prominent or easy. Design in this age is meant to guide how the user uses an app or service. Buttons have a bias in color or even existence, secondary options just having text. It's just like prices that end in .99. You know 4.99 is 5$ and you think you're better than that but the reality is you probably aren't. It still affects you on a subconscious level. 
Design is behavior modification. 

This may not apply so much to chrome, but it does to a lot of other google products and is the driving force behind material design (which isn't even the worst case of this really)

Google wants chrome to match their other products to keep their brand image, not to make it better to use. These concepts that are meant for behavior modification really make something clunky to use that wasn't designed for this kind of design language, or really any desktop program (looking at you new windows 10 setting panes)

In chrome, you should be able to change it with some flags. They'll probably remove that in the future. I don't have it yet, so I don't know, but I know I could always preview the design, at least for a few versions. 

Btw im on the latest version and dont have it because rolling out design in small segments is a thing companies do to minimize complaints as well as do A/B testing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I’d think there’d be a skin or theme out there somewhere to make it look the same as what it was

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

In chrome, you should be able to change it with some flags. They'll probably remove that in the future. I don't have it yet, so I don't know, but I know I could always preview the design, at least for a few versions. 

yeah you can change it back using a flag. just go to the flags page and search design. 

set the flag "UI Layout for the browser's top chrome" to normal. 

She/Her

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i'd like to have the latest security updates and everything though...

i've tried installing a few themes that had the old design in the picture on the chrome web store, but doing that only changes the colours on the new design

yes i have.  it's a slow buggy mess in my experience. the last time i used it was when firefox quantum first came out, it was slower than chrome and a lot of extensions for it suddenly didn't work anymore because they didn't run on quantum... just a mess. 

ok fair enough, but this design is just worse... i can't easily see what tab is activated. 

I personally don't feel much differences in term of speeds, maybe you should try it now as been long time since the release of quantum and there has been many updates. What extensions do you use anyways, mind I ask?

Magical Pineapples

12 hours ago, EMC said:

Firefox on androids is still shit but yeah.

It allows extensions on Android. Chrome doesn't.... Yet

Sudo make me a sandwich 

15 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Design is not about function

Deign is 100% about the function, and form, intertwined

5 hours ago, sluz said:

Deign is 100% about the function, and form, intertwined

not in 2018. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch