Google is cutting down on tech support ads displayed

The_Tron

This is so overdue...

"

Tech support scams are a problem on the internet, and Google is trying to stop people from getting tangled in them through their ads.

It's decided to restrict ads by third-party technical support providers, as well as making these businesses verify themselves.

"As the fraudulent activity takes place off our platform, it’s increasingly difficult to separate the bad actors from the legitimate providers," reads a postby Google's director of global product policy, David Graff, on Friday.

"That's why in the coming months, we will roll out a verification program to ensure that only legitimate providers of third-party tech support can use our platform to reach consumers."

The announcement comes following a Wall Street Journal investigation on these scams. It included a particularly bad ad purporting to be from Apple, which appeared when one searched for the terms "apple tech support" on Google.

In this case, the ad showed a URL for Apple's official website, but also displayed and linked to a phone number belonging to a tech support scammer."

Source: https://mashable.com/article/tech-support-scams-google/#OA9IewCXNsq

53 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm not sure he'll respond.

Untitled.png

I noticed it, just checking if he could come back due to the topic ^^

well I should US my VMs built for it before they go away,

JK we all know they will never go away.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It is true that there are many fake tech support companies in the market. Most of them are doing scam. But for them, the original ones will be suffered. People will not get actual support. But still it is a much needed step taken by Google and I appreciate that.

6 minutes ago, buttler987 said:

It is true that there are many fake tech support companies in the market. Most of them are doing scam. But for them, the original ones will be suffered. People will not get actual support. But still it is a much needed step taken by Google and I appreciate that.

Thats a nice phishing link in your signature bro

Just now, Amazonsucks said:

Thats a nice phishing link in your signature bro

The bots are learning and for some reason the bot keeps removing and adding the signature back xD

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Scammer: Hello, this is Microsoft technical support, we have been notified that you have a virus on your computer, we are here to remove it for you.

me: ok, 1. i run linux (mfw a scammer thinks about linux) and 2. i now have your number and will be reporting it to the authorities and will also ask my phone provider to block  this number across their network. (providers block reported numbers if they have verified that it's a scam number) i also can track your number and will report it to the Indian cyber police once i have it.

Indian scammer shits bricks, hangs up phone

me: jokes on him, already got it....

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
FUCKING FORMATTING FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

The bots are learning and for some reason the bot keeps removing and adding the signature back xD

Idk how the obvious phishing/spammer account is still active after it literally had a phishing link in its signature, which i immediately reported after running through virus totals url scanner.