Will the 20-series be good if RTX is turned off?

Since the 20th of september is near, im struggling to decide if it is worth to spend money on a graphicscard that so far only grants better graphics but not framerates or res. My plan was to upgrade to the 80-variant when it got released but now i dont even know if its worth it. There is only one game(Metro: Exodus) i definitely will play so far that will support raytracing. Other than that im only playing games that probably wont even add it in. My plan is to play these games in 1440p at 144hz but will the RTX 2080 handle that when it have RTX off?

Better go for GTX 1080Ti. RTX 2080 is to weak to run metro on 1440p at 60 fps. Price difference to is ~ 150 for the same performance.

3 minutes ago, EOZ said:

Better go for GTX 1080Ti. RTX 2080 is to weak to run metro on 1440p at 60 fps. Price difference to ~ 150 for the same performance.

That statistic feels a little made up. The 2080 is gonna be too weak? What makes you say that?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Weak = ray tracing on. Even GTX 2080Ti can't handle stable 60fps at 1080p what a crap at highest level.

The 2080 will be about the same as the 1080ti (maybe 10% faster), and the 2080ti will be 25-35% faster than 1080ti.

This is with raytracing disabled.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

8 hours ago, EOZ said:

Better go for GTX 1080Ti. RTX 2080 is to weak to run metro on 1440p at 60 fps. Price difference to is ~ 150 for the same performance.

I don't think that's true... If you are using ray tracing yeah, but why would NVIDIA release a "next-generation" GPU that performs worse than its predecessor? That would make no sense at all, and cause huge amounts of backlash. Imagine the backlash at Intel for announcing cannon-lake (basically OCed chips) but 5 times worse since we only get graphics cards every like 5+ years.

8 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

The 2080 will be about the same as the 1080ti (maybe 10% faster), and the 2080ti will be 25-35% faster than 1080ti.

That sounds about accurate.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

10 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

and the 2080ti will be 25-35% faster than 1080ti.

And now the best part ever! It will cost 72% more than GTX 1080Ti what a good value! RTX 2080Ti get's knocked out cold not even close to GTX 1080Ti price/performance ratio.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

How big of a chance is there that the "1.5x CUDA performance" is accurate? Is there any previous generation examples on that?  

8 minutes ago, Nerdom said:

I don't think that's true... If you are using ray tracing yeah, but why would NVIDIA release a "next-generation" GPU that performs worse than its predecessor? That would make no sense at all, and cause huge amounts of backlash. Imagine the backlash at Intel for announcing cannon-lake (basically OCed chips) but 5 times worse since we only get graphics cards every like 5+ years.

They always release next-generation GPUs that perform worse than the predecessors. Like a GTX 1060 is weaker than a 980 Ti, or a 950 is weaker than a 780 Ti.

Your argument would only hold up if you compared the same level in each generation, like 2080 Ti vs. 1080 Ti.

23 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

25-35% is rather optimistic, if that was the case we'd seen benchmarks already, no need for all the secrecy to bait out pre-orders. Imho that number will be closer to 10-15% with max oc on both the 1080 ti and the 2080 ti ( RT only actually playable on the 2080 ti, for this reason i'm not even considering the 2080 or 2070. 720p RAY TRACING, GET YOURS TODAY).

25-35% would be good for marketing, the fact they are scared to have direct fps comparisons leads me to believe otherwise. There's also the sketchy benchmarks with the 1080 ti running at slower clock speed than a 2080 just to show a 6% improvement (LOL)

However this is all speculation (fun) at this point, but if i had to put money on it, the 20-series will be below expectations. I'm actually looking at the 2080 ti when benchmarks come out, gonna give RT a chance.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

8 minutes ago, PrinnyExplodes said:

Just do it - Tomshardware

The Ultimate Brainwash for those sheeps.

8 hours ago, EOZ said:

Weak = ray tracing on. Even GTX 2080Ti can't handle stable 60fps at 1080p what a crap at highest level.

Please stop spreading this misinformation.

The best implementation we have seen so far the developer only spent two weeks on it and openly admit they can get WAY better performance with some optimisation.  All examples have been shown on Alpha drivers too.

We honestly do not know yet how good or bad the cards may be.

8 hours ago, xg32 said:

25-35% is rather optimistic, if that was the case we'd seen benchmarks already

No we wouldn't as the drivers aren't ready yet.  Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

This is not just slapping more cores and higher clocks onto an existing architecture, where you can somewhat predict the outcome as far less work needs to go on in the drivers to optimise for it.

Its a new architecture, which means lots of work on the drivers before they reach optimal performance.  This optimisation will carry on for months after launch before we get a clear picture.

Honestly, its like some people have never seen a new architecture launch before!

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Sakkura said:

They always release next-generation GPUs that perform worse than the predecessors. Like a GTX 1060 is weaker than a 980 Ti, or a 950 is weaker than a 780 Ti.

Your argument would only hold up if you compared the same level in each generation, like 2080 Ti vs. 1080 Ti.

That's what I was saying. I'm never expecting a --50 card to beat a previous gen --80, or even a --70. But I do expect a performance increase

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

No we wouldn't as the drivers aren't ready yet.  Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

This is not just slapping more cores and higher clocks onto an existing architecture, where you can somewhat predict the outcome as far less work needs to go on in the drivers to optimise for it.

Its a new architecture, which means lots of work on the drivers before they reach optimal performance.  This optimisation will carry on for months after launch before we get a clear picture.

Honestly, its like some people have never seen a new architecture launch before!

WAN show covered most of this. People should go watch it xD

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

5 hours ago, EOZ said:

is this legit info? confirm

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 hours ago, Sakkura said:

People usually make the comparison like a 1070 vs a 980 Ti.  Typically, they are reasonably comparable except you get similar performance for much cheaper.

Like its expected the RTX 2070 will be comparable or better than the GTX 1080.

People are just confused with the Ti card coming out at launch and making comparisons that they usually wouldn't be able to due to the pricier card not usually being available so soon.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

No its not, its based on Alpha drivers and games which had RTX added in only two weeks, not even close to optimised.

Ultimately, nobody can know how well it will perform until it launches.  Personally I would expect RT to INCREASE frame rate not reduce it (if implemented properly in the game), as shaders are no longer being used for lighting and shadows, so can be used for something else.

Mostly I believe it depends if the game will let you reduce the RT quality to increase the frame rate.  Just like every other graphics option basically.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

>Expecting a shitposter to back their points up

kek

Anyway, the drivers and current implementation of RT for both Windows and Direct X are experimental at this point. Nvidia likely has some "good" drivers already.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>Expecting a shitposter to back their points up

kek

Anyway, the drivers and current implementation of RT for both Windows and Direct X are experimental at this point. Nvidia likely has some "good" drivers already.

are there games that use RT right now or we'll have to wait? Metro: Exodus was mentioned above

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 hours ago, EOZ said:

8 hours ago, EOZ said:

7 hours ago, EOZ said:

And now the best part ever! It will cost 72% more than GTX 1080Ti what a good value! RTX 2080Ti get's knocked out cold not even close to GTX 1080Ti price/performance ratio.

35 FPS VS 71 FPS for the scene below.

I'm sure 100% increase in FPS is worth it for that 72% more cost.

dlss_vs_taa.png

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

People usually make the comparison like a 1070 vs a 980 Ti.  Typically, they are reasonably comparable except you get similar performance for much cheaper.

Like its expected the RTX 2070 will be comparable or better than the GTX 1080.

People are just confused with the Ti card coming out at launch and making comparisons that they usually wouldn't be able to due to the pricier card not usually being available so soon.

Problem is, the 2070 is not cheaper than the 1080. In fact it's more expensive.

That's not to say it's a terrible ripoff, just that going by the kinds of non-RTX performance improvement that has been suggested so far, you're getting about the same performance per dollar (or possibly even a little less in case of the 2080 Ti, but that's more understandable since it's a top of the line halo product).

I dont even understand why these topics are being opened. Everything is a guessing game until real benchmarks come out, youre just asking for answers that cannot be given at thus point of time. It has been told numerous times and all the main tech reviewers said it dont preorder the cards cuz nobody knows what they will be like and if the new raytracing technology will be worth it in this generation. Now sit back, and wait for real benchmarks to come out, and stop looking for answers that just can not be given

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

are there games that use RT right now or we'll have to wait? Metro: Exodus was mentioned above

Now: no

In the very near future: yes, such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III