What is a top 10 list of your favorite games?

What is your list of your utmost and absolute favorite games, for me?

1. Doom ( reboot 2016 )

2. Pokemon Emerald 2004 for gameboy advanced

3. Hexen ( this game was practically my childhood ) 1996

4.Duke Nukem 3D 1996

5.Quake ( I guess you could say I’m a “Champion” at it if you know what I mean ;) ( pun intended ) ) 

6.Diablo II ( 2000 ), Diablo 1 ( 1998 )

7.Age Of Empires 2   1999

8.Team Fortress 2 ( have like... fuck 4500 hours on this game, what the fuck? ) 2012

9.Half Life 2

10. Half Life 1 

These are not only my favorite games but, games I keep on coming back too over and over again. I just really like these games and I still play them do this day and age despite the age I played them as ( the majority, and young! ) and the year they were released which I provided. But I already know my favorites I am incredibly curious and I might try out some new games, what is your opinion?

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

Have I played 10 games...?

I've definitely done that, but I probably couldn't put them in a numerical order.

10 of my favorite games, though:

1. Lego Universe. If you haven't heard of this game, you really missed out.
  2. Cave Story. Wonderful story, dialogue, soundtrack, everything.
  3. Minecraft. Overall pretty fun.
  4. Fortnite. Don't @ me. Seasons 2-3 were definitely better than current though, in quite a few ways.
  5. Portal.
  6. Portal 2. The Portal games overall are brilliant, 2 is a little bit more enjoyable in terms of dialogue though.
  7. They Are Billions. Fun concept, gameplay, and Numantian absolutely nailed the soundtrack.
  8. Goat Simulator. Need I say more?
  9. Rocket League. Recently picked it up, it's pretty enjoyable.
  10. Space Cadet Pinball. Enough said.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

In no particular order... But its hard to decide. So I will list old games that I really enjoyed and new games in a separate list. 

Old:

1.) Operation Flashpoint

2.) Mafia

3.) Giants: Citizen Kabuto

4.) Age of Empires II

5.) GTA Vice City

6.) GTA San Andreas

7.) Half-Life series

8.) Portal series

9.) Serious Sam (The First and Second Encounter) 

10.) Heretic

Newer:

1.) Metro series

2.) Witcher series

3.) Dust an Elysian Tail

4.) Ori and the Blind Forest

5.) DOOM

6.) Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2

7.) The Talos Principle

8.) Rocket League

9.) Arma 3

10.) Tomb Raider

Dunno that I could necessarily do a top 10 but... and certainly in no particular order... mainly just games I remember well and replaying a lot.

1. Halo.                                                  Every Bungie one.You can ALWAYS return to it and have a blast. The only thing it's really actually missing is the ability to sprint. Halo 3 still blows my mind with details.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3.                            You're wrong if you disagree. 4 was decent too and 5 had solid gameplay.

3. Medal of Honor 2010.                        Something about just being gritty, realistic, and not being too afraid of making the Taliban the bad guys. I'll also never forget the first time I played the game. A few missions actually. Some absolutely awesome moments in it. I wish they did the campaign for Battlefield, especially with all the AMAZING MOH stories in WW2.

4. Witcher 3.                                           First Western RPG that I actually managed to play through without getting bored and quitting.

5. Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise.      This genre needs to come back.

6. Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit.          Wish I could play it again somehow.

7. Mafia 2                                               The most immersive open world crime game I know of. GTA wishes they could touch it.

8. Alan Wake                                         The story. Gameplay was meh and much better/easier with cheats for infinite battery.

9. Persona 4                                          Waifu wars begin.

10. Battlefield 4                                     Mostly because me and a friend spent thousands of hours in it.

#Muricaparrotgang

portal 2

deus ex

machinarium

HL2

system shock 2

xevious

CS.Source

Doom 3

crysis

Halo (PC) CTF

Not in order, too difficult to place them in order :P

Overcooked series (builds and breaks friendships at the same time)

Valkyria Chronicles (mobile console ones are crap though)

Sniper Elite series (for those prefer killing without being seen)

Icey (must abuse the narrator)

Serious Sam series (classic shoot 'em all)

The real Metal Gear Solid games, not the fake ones. Need I explain?

An indie game I forgot the name. It's about the player participating an online test of a software, by following the supposedly the app's developer's orders. There's another software called the Duck which was supposed to punish you for not following orders, but turns out to be against the developer. You can either cooperate with the developer and be a good tester, or do the opposite. Yup, another abuse the narrator game

BeamNG drive. Crashing my car in reality is painful, crashing one that's simulated in software isnt.

Ghost Recon Wildlands: repetitive, quite demanding on hardware power and driving physics does not resemble reality at all. What makes it good is the gun handling.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 8/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have I played 10 games...?

I've definitely done that, but I probably couldn't put them in a numerical order.

10 of my favorite games, though:

1. Lego Universe. If you haven't heard of this game, you really missed out.
  2. Cave Story. Wonderful story, dialogue, soundtrack, everything.
  3. Minecraft. Overall pretty fun.
  4. Fortnite. Don't @ me. Seasons 2-3 were definitely better than current though, in quite a few ways.
  5. Portal.
  6. Portal 2. The Portal games overall are brilliant, 2 is a little bit more enjoyable in terms of dialogue though.
  7. They Are Billions. Fun concept, gameplay, and Numantian absolutely nailed the soundtrack.
  8. Goat Simulator. Need I say more?
  9. Rocket League. Recently picked it up, it's pretty enjoyable.
  10. Space Cadet Pinball. Enough said.

I will defiently check out those games thanks mate

On 8/31/2018 at 5:15 AM, Jurrunio said:

Serious Sam series (classic shoot 'em all)

HOLY FUCK, dude I remember having that on my old ass ibm pc running ms dos when I was 11, fuck man.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:25 AM, TheBritishVillain said:
On 8/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Goat Simulator. Need I say more?

Really? I played it for like 10 minutes just doing random stuff. Is there any objective?

I played it, personally I don’t really care for it; truthfully I find it boring to say the least I suppose.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:40 AM, kilgore_T said:

deus ex

I actually haven’t played it yet but I really want to get it, I really want the witchier 3 but my pc can’t even really run it lol 

My current code projects

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

• working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

13 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Bruh, Burnout Revenge was way better than both of those :P

Never played revenge. Only had 3 and Paradise.

Oh, and the PSP one, whatever that was called. Basically a mashup of the first 3-4 games.

2 hours ago, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

I actually haven’t played it yet but I really want to get it, I really want the witchier 3 but my pc can’t even really run it lol 

I hated it. Well... the shooting mechanics. The levels are fairly open ended, the story is convoluted but acceptable, but holy hell the shooting mechanics and trying to knock dudes out from behind were just absolute garbage. Never really worked consistently.

It's kind of like the original Splinter Cell. You're this bad ass ex Navy SEAL NSA secret agent but you can't shoot a light bulb from 6 feet away to save your life. You just end up standing in place trying to knock a light out and using all your ammo.

The newer Deus Ex games were pretty good though.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 8/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

What is your list of your utmost and absolute favorite games

I've played hundreds of games across multiple platforms so coming up with just 10 is almost impossible for me. What I will do that I think fits this topic is list you 30 games that I've put the most hours into in the past year or so. In alphabetical order. 

7 Days To Die

Aliens Colonial Marines

Borderland GOTY Edition

Call of Duty Ghosts

Craft The World

The Division

Doom 2016

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition

The Expendabros

GTA 5

Guns Up!

House Flipper

Human Fall Flat

Left 4 Dead 2

Lords of the Fallen

Mass Effect Andromeda

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

Minecraft

Overcooked

Paladins

Rocket League

Serious Sam BFE

Slain!

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace

Timeshift

Tony Hawks Pro Skater American Wasteland/4/HD

Ultimate Chicken Horse

Viscera Cleanup Detail

Volgarr The Viking

Warframe

Bonus: 10 NES and Sega Genesis games that I still play that just have to be mentioned.

1. Kickle Cubicle

2. The Krion Conquest

3. Legendary Wings

4. Mega Man 3

5. Zelda II The Adventure of Link

1. Golden Axe II

2. Home Alone

3. Mick and Macks Global Gladiators

4. Vectorman

5. X-Men

I left off hundreds of excellent games but these were just off the top of my head that stood out the most. From your games, I really enjoy Doom 2016.

Fortnite

roblux

minecraft

castle miner Z

call of duty

call of duty 2

call of duty 2 big red one

call of duty 3

call of duty 4

call of duty world at war

call of duty modern warfare 2

halo wombat wevolved 

jk

real list:

Spoiler

Sike! Gotcha! Here’s the real list:

Spoiler

FOILED AGAIN! For real doe:

in no order

1. Metro games

2. Ghost of a tale

3. Titanfall 2

4. Call of duty 4-Black ops 2

5. Dawn of War 1 games

6. Halo 1-3

7. Rainbow six siege

8. Insurgency/day of infamy

9. Borderlands 1

10. World of warcraft

honorable mentions:

Overwatch, fallout 3 & New Vegas, spec ops the line, arma, Counter Strike, day of defeat, stalker, space marine, half life, dying light, natural selection 2, Verdun, & too many more to keep a reasonable top 10 honorable mentions. I love a lotta gaemz

On 8/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, A Random Dude said:

I've played hundreds of games across multiple platforms so coming up with just 10 is almost impossible for me. What I will do that I think fits this topic is list you 30 games that I've put the most hours into in the past year or so. In alphabetical order. 

7 Days To Die

Aliens Colonial Marines

Borderland GOTY Edition

Call of Duty Ghosts

Craft The World

The Division

Doom 2016

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition

The Expendabros

GTA 5

Guns Up!

House Flipper

Human Fall Flat

Left 4 Dead 2

Lords of the Fallen

Mass Effect Andromeda

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

Minecraft

Overcooked

Paladins

Rocket League

Serious Sam BFE

Slain!

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace

Timeshift

Tony Hawks Pro Skater American Wasteland/4/HD

Ultimate Chicken Horse

Viscera Cleanup Detail

Volgarr The Viking

Warframe

Bonus: 10 NES and Sega Genesis games that I still play that just have to be mentioned.

1. Kickle Cubicle

2. The Krion Conquest

3. Legendary Wings

4. Mega Man 3

5. Zelda II The Adventure of Link

1. Golden Axe II

2. Home Alone

3. Mick and Macks Global Gladiators

4. Vectorman

5. X-Men

I left off hundreds of excellent games but these were just off the top of my head that stood out the most. From your games, I really enjoy Doom 2016.

https://goo.gl/images/VeJmQw

#Muricaparrotgang

I don't remember ever picking up a game I didn't like so it will be tough.

No particular order:

PC

1. Baldur's Gate 2

2. Diablo 2

3. Mass Effect Series (1 for starting it all, 2 for fantastic story, 3 for great multiplayer)

4. Dragon Age Origins

5. Witcher 3

6. Final Fantasy XV

7. Tomb Raider reboots

8. Morrowind

9. Skyrim

10. Heroes of Might and Magic III

Console (yea I know it's PC gaming forum but some of them are on Steam with PC versions, so...)

1. Final Fantasy VIII

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Crash Team Racing

4. Tekken 3

5. Metal Gear Solid

6. Spyro the Dragon 2

7. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

8. Tenchu series

Nostalgia gallore (mix of older console and PC games)

1. Prince of Persia

2. Golden Axe

3. Lion King

4. Disney's Aladdin

5. The Incredible Machine

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters (Sega Megadrive)

7. Myst

8. Doom

9. Quake series (1,2, Arena)

MMORPG (feels like they deserve another category)

1. Tera

2. Lineage 2

There are some games that I haven't played but I wish I had (they would probably make the list) - like Vagrant Story for PS1 or some PS4 titles (I don't have the console). Also some Nintendo Switch Titles.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

What gives you that vibe? Did I list too many games? Are certain games on this list somehow "bitchy"? When I played Home Alone I was a kid, what do you expect? Playing it now is nostalgic as can be.

1) Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne

2)  Left 4 dead 2

3) Call of Duty 4

4) Heroes of the storm (the best moba)

5) Counter Strike Source

6) Unreal tournament 2004

7) Age of Empires 2 (MSN used to have a lobby system...it was epic)

8) Arma 2 & 3 DayZ Mod

9) Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

10) Batman Akrham City

Most of these games occured in from 2000 to 2010, The best era in gaming period. This new era sucks

5 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

What gives you that vibe? Did I list too many games? Are certain games on this list somehow "bitchy"? When I played Home Alone I was a kid, what do you expect? Playing it now is nostalgic as can be.

It's not bitchy. Basic bitch is just like common uninteresting things everyone else does.

#Muricaparrotgang

In no particular order:

Team Fortress 2

Gran Turismo 3: A-spec

Burnout 3: Takedown

Garry's Mod

Left 4 Dead 2

Cruis'n World (this one's a childhood treat)

Driver: San Francisco

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Midtown Madness

FlatOut 2

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

53 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It's not bitchy. Basic bitch is just like common uninteresting things everyone else does.

K

5 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

Most of these games occured in from 2000 to 2010, The best era in gaming period. This new era sucks

I agree for the most part. 2000-2010~ had the best combination of having to create games with interesting technique & having the hardware to run crazy ideas. 

Before then, hardware held people back and now, it’s too easy & people can finish making the game later. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

K

8 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

I agree for the most part. 2000-2010~ had the best combination of having to create games with interesting technique & having the hardware to run crazy ideas. 

Before then, hardware held people back and now, it’s too easy & people can finish making the game later. 

*1990-2010

gaming hit a particular milestone in the 1990s that was absolutely astonishing, for an entire decade nothing but absolute joy came out of developers games, graphics were adapted like never before and it only kept evolving. Nowadays its just the same old shit, over and over again. And then theres fucking fortnite :(  

Don’t get me wrong its not like I don’t think no-one should play games because obviously I enjoy them greatly, but when like fucking millions of 9 year olds cuss at there fucking mom because they need to eat food its absolute bullshit. Kids used to go outside, play, or actually focus on there future occupation and yes with some games in the middle but not this shit, plus the entire community is cancer and these “fortnite memes” are horrible only 8 year olds find them amusing or some middle age man trying to regain his youth watches it because he has a 8 year old mentality.

"Before then, hardware held people back and now"

tell that to lgr or 8-bit guy

that is false,

your making a subjective statement that era is where it all unraveled similar to a caterpillar into a butterfly, that day and age wasn’t a time of development, it has already passed that; and even then still they were still finding new ways to hit people with awesome graphics, take a look at doom for an example and then unreal tournament https---torrentgamesoficial.files.wordpress.com-2012-09-ad9e9-unreal1.jpg.ab96fe8ae3e4765dd6abaa820e928b15.jpgUnreal torment

5b8c3df7ab3ac_https---gamingfireball.files.wordpress.com-2016-06-doom-3.jpgw788.jpg.32ed9ee1079e797ac33523945138231a.jpgdoom

It basically no time games went from look like doom to unreal t. 

It was one of the greatest eras in gaming history to say its can not even be included in “ era of having

best combination of having to create games with interesting technique & having the hardware to run crazy ideas. 

Before then, hardware held people back and now, it’s too easy & people can finish making the game later. “ never mind the best is absolute shit.

hardware will always hold us down, there will always be a possible program or a program that exists thats probably the funnest in the world but won’t run, sometimes its due to unoptimiztion sometimes its due to hardware.

Saying that it was only “before then,” is crap. "The rtx 2080ti won’t let me play 8k witcher 3 with ray tracing on and ultra high preset? What gives? “ its because the hardware isn’t fucking advanced enough but that still doesn’t determine how awesome a game might be.

My current code projects

Current repair projects

Basic bitch is just like common uninteresting things everyone else does.

No clue how that applies to my list but okay.

The Last of Us is my all time favorite game, very surprised to not see it mentioned so far :/

- The Last of Us

- Witcher 3

- Skyrim

- Far Cry 3

- GTA IV

- GTA V

- Zelda Ocarina of Time

- Zelda Majora's Mask

- Uncharted 4

- Red Dead Redemption

(No particular order) 

Fun question! Let's see now in no particular order:

• Original Halo Trilogy
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Counter Strike Source/GO
  • World of Warcraft
  • Witcher 3
  • Pokemon Ruby
  • Rocket League
  • PUBG
  • Skyrim
  • City of Heroes

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

@InMiseryWeSeekPancakes the 90s did have a lot of great games. 
Considering the scale of some 90s games compared to 2000s games, I'm thinking about how games like Dawn of War (2004) was able to sponsor large scale battles with 3D models, blood, persistent bodies & more with the mainstream hardware available. 

Doom had persistent bodies & unreal were great games. I would say that the late 90s and early 201Xs were qualified as part of the 2000-2010 era. Games like System Shock were great games that did a lot to achieve their goals. I simply feel that the mid 2000s gave the developers just a bit more freedom to execute their ideals. 

The 80s and 90s had tons of great passion projects like Oregon Trail, Fallout 1 & more. However, Oregon Trail's systems were quite limited requiring the use of random generation for most of the game's content. Additionally Fallout 1 did have a lot to the game though it was quite linear

Spoiler

Somewhere in this video:

Fallout 3 by comparison had more immersive behavior because the hardware permitted better graphics that can arguable be said to hold up today & permitted a lot more options for Role Playing. Fallout 1 was built for hardware that didn't have enough resources to allow a first person perspective on that scale. Additionally, they had a lot of creative freedom & expressed a lot of ideals. The issue is that the game was quite limited in what it actually had. 

I will never say the games from the 90s were terrible. I feel the 90s really inspired and build the games from the 2000s. It was the creativity & senior member that made games in the 90s that helped the 2000s become so great. The only reason why I don't say modern gaming is as good is because the online technologies maturing in the 2000s lead business members of gaming companies to learn to exploit them to the loss on the consumers end. 

There are still great games today & there were great games before the 2000s. Many of the best games & series from the 2000s were being developed in the 90s. Key titles include
Halo

World of Warcraft (The Warcraft IP began in the 90s)

Half Life 1 & 2

Fallout

Elder Scrolls
Grand Theft Auto

Super Smash Bros

Arma

Mechassault

Counter Strike

Civilization

and many more. 

With the humble & creative beginnings in the 90s, & the hardware advances, the 2000s brought about the best & definitive editions to many games. 

witcher 3

battlefield 3 & 4

need for speed most wanted (original one)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

12 hours ago, fpo said:

@InMiseryWeSeekPancakes the 90s did have a lot of great games. 
Considering the scale of some 90s games compared to 2000s games, I'm thinking about how games like Dawn of War (2004) was able to sponsor large scale battles with 3D models, blood, persistent bodies & more with the mainstream hardware available. 

Doom had persistent bodies & unreal were great games. I would say that the late 90s and early 201Xs were qualified as part of the 2000-2010 era. Games like System Shock were great games that did a lot to achieve their goals. I simply feel that the mid 2000s gave the developers just a bit more freedom to execute their ideals. 

The 80s and 90s had tons of great passion projects like Oregon Trail, Fallout 1 & more. However, Oregon Trail's systems were quite limited requiring the use of random generation for most of the game's content. Additionally Fallout 1 did have a lot to the game though it was quite linear

Reveal hidden contents

Somewhere in this video:

Fallout 3 by comparison had more immersive behavior because the hardware permitted better graphics that can arguable be said to hold up today & permitted a lot more options for Role Playing. Fallout 1 was built for hardware that didn't have enough resources to allow a first person perspective on that scale. Additionally, they had a lot of creative freedom & expressed a lot of ideals. The issue is that the game was quite limited in what it actually had. 

I will never say the games from the 90s were terrible. I feel the 90s really inspired and build the games from the 2000s. It was the creativity & senior member that made games in the 90s that helped the 2000s become so great. The only reason why I don't say modern gaming is as good is because the online technologies maturing in the 2000s lead business members of gaming companies to learn to exploit them to the loss on the consumers end. 

There are still great games today & there were great games before the 2000s. Many of the best games & series from the 2000s were being developed in the 90s. Key titles include
Halo

World of Warcraft (The Warcraft IP began in the 90s)

Half Life 1 & 2

Fallout

Elder Scrolls
Grand Theft Auto

Super Smash Bros

Arma

Mechassault

Counter Strike

Civilization

and many more. 

With the humble & creative beginnings in the 90s, & the hardware advances, the 2000s brought about the best & definitive editions to many games. 

I believe you can not state it more elgantly and clearly than that, your absloutely correct. Also you mentioned system shock 2 I forgot to add that to my list! Truly astonding game though loved playing it there are just utterly so many. I loved the orginal doom I just can't fit everything!

My current code projects

Current repair projects

17 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

The Last of Us is my all time favorite game, very surprised to not see it mentioned so far :/

Well you have to regard the fact that the majority of us probably don't have ps4's even then though probably we don't have the game or ultimately have games that we prefer more over that. Im sure there is a huge group of people that agrees with you, sadly not in this forum as of right now. Just want to know your opinons though. If you consider it your favorite I would be happy to give it a go, fuck I might like it. 

My current code projects

Current repair projects