Apple Watch series 4 with bigger screen spotted

RobbinM
3 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I don't expect it to happen sadly (even Samsung moved away from it with the Sport/Galaxy Watch) -- although it's still very necessary as many places still don't accept NFC payments, or only accept their own ____-Pay. Meaning you, as an end user, get to sit there tapping in futility in the hopes that this retailer supports it.

But MST in my experience doesn't really work all that reliably especially if the terminal is mounted on some metal bracket. Besides most newer models of VeriFone, Ingenico terminals all have NFC built in. It's just that the smaller merchants usually have no idea on how to use it and I have to like teach them, which can get annoying at times

Meanwhile, I'm dreaming for Apple to launch a round Apple Watch 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Commodus said:

It depends on cultures on that point. Personnally I'm eyeing an automatic watch with an alarm. The perfect alarm. But that's because I value beauty and durability more than functionalities, and a good automatic watch is immensely more beautiful and durable in 99.99% of cases.

I'm just saying that there are many aspects that make smartwatches impractical for businessmen, and for everybody else, hence why they haven't caught on that much.

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

It depends on cultures on that point. Personnally I'm eyeing an automatic watch with an alarm. The perfect alarm. But that's because I value beauty and durability more than functionalities, and a good automatic watch is immensely more beautiful and durable in 99.99% of cases.

I'm just saying that there are many aspects that make smartwatches impractical for businessmen, and for everybody else, hence why they haven't caught on that much.

It's certainly fine to prefer those values!  Just remember, different strokes and all that.

And smartwatches are definitely growing, even if they haven't quite hit that iPod-level "everybody has one" point.  Some recent estimates have the smartwatch market growing 37 percent year-over-year in the second quarter... and I'm really curious to see how Series 4 affects that, since it's going to represent a big leap.

Man, if I had a reason to consistently use my iPhone 7 Plus, I'd love a bigger display Apple Watch. Right now it's Pixel time.

Also mad brilliant that they got rid of that obnoxious, massive red dot on the crown for cellular variants and opted for that ring on the crown instead, assuming this is true. That's honestly the biggest story here.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Would it kill them to make a watch look like a watch, and not like a ipod nano with a watch strap? 

I might buy this.  Having to worry about battery life sucks, coming from someone that wears automatic watches, but having notifications on your wrist seems pretty handy.  Plus I really need a device that I can use while skiing (pulling out your phone when its buried in a zippered pocket fucking suuuucks).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 8/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Stroal said:

Would it kill them to make a watch look like a watch, and not like a ipod nano with a watch strap? 

Apple is interested in making the best smartwatch, not clinging to tradition for its own sake.  And given that the Apple Watch is the best-selling smartwatch by a wide margin, I really don't think the company feels pressure to change.  Especially when its next-closest competitor, Fitbit, also refuses to be a slave to tradition.

This reminds me of the "electronic music isn't real music" griping from a couple of decades back.  It's assuming that the old way of doing things is some kind of permanent benchmark by which everything new must be judged.  Well, no.  Just as you don't need physical instruments to make good music, you don't need to imitate conventional watches to make a good smartwatch.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, Commodus said:

Apple is interested in making the best smartwatch, not clinging to tradition for its own sake.  And given that the Apple Watch is the best-selling smartwatch by a wide margin, I really don't think the company feels pressure to change.  Especially when its next-closest competitor, Fitbit, also refuses to be a slave to tradition.

This reminds me of the "electronic music isn't real music" griping from a couple of decades back.  It's assuming that the old way of doing things is some kind of permanent benchmark by which everything new must be judged.  Well, no.  Just as you don't need physical instruments to make good music, you don't need to imitate conventional watches to make a good smartwatch.

They aren't making the best smart watch, at least not in the sense of performance. Maybe the best selling, but Apple can and has put out subpar electronics and people will buy them. The MBP is a good example of this. 

I just want a watch that looks like a watch, and doesn't require everyone to know I have a $400 watch on my wrist. 

6 hours ago, Stroal said:

They aren't making the best smart watch, at least not in the sense of performance. Maybe the best selling, but Apple can and has put out subpar electronics and people will buy them. The MBP is a good example of this. 

I just want a watch that looks like a watch, and doesn't require everyone to know I have a $400 watch on my wrist. 

The most interesting thing that Apple did was allow Android Wear support on their platform. That's not something I saw coming so at least there are more options for iOS users.

1 hour ago, Magnetorheological said:

I'll buy one when they make the battery last longer than a couple days.

Doubt this will happen anytime soon. 

If anything, Apple seems comfortable enough with their "1 day battery life" threshold to introduce other features which consume more power. And for most users, they appear comfortable enough with having to charge their watch every night. 

On 9/4/2018 at 11:20 AM, Stroal said:

I have to vehemently disagree.  Yeah, the Galaxy Watch can last a few days (in theory) on a charge, but that's only if you get an enormous 46mm model; go with 42mm and you're right at the Apple Watch's level.  And beyond that, it's a slight tune-up of the two-year-old Gear S3 with little new besides a slightly faster processor.  And Wear OS devices... well, they've been using the same processor for two years, and it's still hard to find a watch that includes decent battery life, all the ideal features (GPS, water resistance, NFC, heart rate monitoring) and doesn't look like a chunky eyesore.  Skagen's Falster 2 is the first Wear OS watch in a long time that appears to hit all the marks... but it's already somewhat obsolete thanks to its old chip.

Also: let's face it: it's the most robust smartwatch platform out there.  It gets frequent updates, carries the most apps (and frequently the highest-quality ones, too), and is usually the first to include major software features.  More than a few of Wear OS' additions are just straight-up lifted from things Apple did two or three years ago (the new fitness strategy is a dupe of what Apple did in 2015).  I do think there are some great touches, like Samsung's rotating bezel and Google's... well, access to everything Google, but on the balance, Apple's platform is the most sophisticated and mature.

And here's a secret... the Apple Watch does look like a watch, because it's helping to define what a modern watch is.  We're past the point where the design is seen as some novelty that only hardcore early adopters wear.  I'm reminded of that old "electronic music isn't real music because people don't play instruments" argument... it's this odd insistence that you must cling to tradition to be legitimate.

15 hours ago, Tarzan said:

More interested in the new Galaxy Watch by Samsung, just came out. And I'm still rocking my Gear S3 Frontier for almost 2 years. IWATCH looks too small and feminine IMO.

You don't have a reason to upgrade to the Galaxy Watch... and that's not me being hyperbolic, I mean you literally have no good reason to upgrade.  It's your S3 with a speed bump and a slight design change.

Also... 42mm is too small?  I don't think you've actually worn a 42mm watch.  It's just fine for many people, and actually too big for a lot of people.  It's not a feminine design, and I don't think "feminine" is a negative term, either.

I don’t really see the appeal of smart watches in general. For the same price, I can get (and have got) a Swiss made automatic. There’s no contest, at least until design principles are overhauled and the battery charged by the movement of my arm. 

1 hour ago, Morgan Everett said:

I don’t really see the appeal of smart watches in general. For the same price, I can get (and have got) a Swiss made automatic. There’s no contest, at least until design principles are overhauled and the battery charged by the movement of my arm. 

Out of curiosity, have you used a smartwatch before? For me personally, just being able to have music control on my wrist alone makes it worth looking into. Not necessarily buying it just for music control but it definitely adds value for me.

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Out of curiosity, have you used a smartwatch before? For me personally, just being able to have music control on my wrist alone makes it worth looking into. Not necessarily buying it just for music control but it definitely adds value for me.

Never, no. I don’t use headphones when walking in public, so that wouldn’t be of benefit to me. 

Man. I have not been paying attention to the Apple watch at all so I didn't even know they made a 2 or a 3...
Remember how they made $10,000 ones because its a watch, and people will buy that. I always do want to ask those people what they think, now that their watch is outdated 3 years later...